Sleeping bags

rovert57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How come when you look at the sleeping bags in the shop they always seem to be thicker and have more loft than when you get the same bag home .

They’re not compacted down so often and for so long. They’ve time to expand out and fill the shape

How come when you look at the sleeping bags in the shop they always seem to be thicker and have more loft than when you get the same bag home .

Wait till you are sleeping in it and the temperature drops, the "comfort" rating takes on a new meaning

There’s a lot more to sleeping bags than you think! :blast
I already have one for ultra cold nights but I’ve been studying lighter weight down ones for hiking. It’s a blooming minefield! :D

Wait till you are sleeping in it and the temperature drops, the "comfort" rating takes on a new meaning

It's only a matter of time before one of these manufacturers get's taken to court for manslaughter.
They base the extreme rating on the user being fully clothed and wearing a wooly hat.

I have used an 18 below bag in September, and not been particularly warm.

Just buy a warm bag, and hang a leg out, unzip, or just lie on top of it.

i have 2. A 2 season and a 3 season. Can't remember when last I needed the 3 season. Drink more....The tent you're in and the bed you're on also changes the temp..

I just bought myself a rather nice Rab Alpine 600 last week at a great price and will be testing it out this weekend. Along with my Exped Downbeat 7 (bought on here), I should hopefully be super comfortable.

The Rab comes with two bags. One is the obligatory small compression pack sack, and the other is a much larger long term storage bag that doesn't compress it, but keeps it neat and tidy.

If you're seriously considering a new bag don't scrimp on price. Worth their weight in gold.
Been using a Rab summit for over 30 years now.
Been in -11 deg c in the campervan (that's inside the van, not outside temp) to camping in the west USA in summer.
Never been cold. Never been too hot.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

It's only a matter of time before one of these manufacturers get's taken to court for manslaughter.

Given the number of sleeping bags in use around the world for the past 100 or more years, I’d very much doubt that even the most litigious class action lawyer would see that as a cause worth taking on.

There’s a lot more to sleeping bags than you think! :blast
I already have one for ultra cold nights but I’ve been studying lighter weight down ones for hiking. It’s a blooming minefield! :D

Have look at these

I have this one and it really is very good and so light and small pack https://www.thermarest.com/ie/sleep...hyperion-20f-6c-sleeping-bag/hyperion-20.html

Being honest i reckon it would keep me alive at -6 but probably not comfy - i have used it at zero and it was just about OK

Particularly down sleeping bags, they will be supplied with 2 storage bags, one compression stuff sack for packing and one "loft" bag that is much bigger and doesn't compress the feathers - takes a good 20 mins for a down bag to loft out properly after being stored, those in store will be fully lofted - on the subject of sleeping bags I use down "quilts" which do away with the part of the sleeping bag that you lie on, as you compress the filling so it's not doing anything, a down quilt with a decent sleeping matt saves space vs a full bag - can't stress the importance of a decent sleeping matt as cold will transfer up from the ground and sleeping mats have an "R" rating that relates to how insulated they are from the cold ground - I have an exped unsulated sleeping matt and it's great - something like this https://www.exped.com/en/products/sleeping-mats/dura-8r?sku=7640445454353

Storage is important.
My sleeping bag and Exped Downmat hang in the wardrobe. if you don't have room then store in a pillow case. Never store compressed.
As an aside I have been camping for over 60 years and the Exped Downmat is the best sleeping mat I have ever used.

tom

The trick is to carry a foil thermal blanket with you, small enough to not be an inconvenience and extremely good at trapping the heat in.

Find an ex army Goretex bivvy, no condensation. Beware, many advertised are not true Goretex.

tom

Back
Top Bottom