Long weekend in Newton Stewart

FatAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I embarked on a short bike trip last Friday with pal Dave on his Moto Guzzi V85, me on my T120. A B+B was booked in Newton Stewart for three nights (Corsbie Villa guest house, Corsbie Road, DG8 6JB...I recommend this place) Our route was north up M6 to Carnforth, then the A6 to Carlisle. We had lunch at Henrys Cafe on the A6 near High Heskett. While there these two Alvis cars turned up. the green one was made in 1932, the white one in 1934, they were going to an owners club meeting in Dumfries.
We jumped back on the M6 to Gretna then took the B721, B724 and B725 to Dumfries, a great alternative to the busy HGV laden A75. From Dumfries the A75 to Crocketsford then the A712 to Newton Stewart. We arrived about 4pm, the weather still fairly good. We had a super evening at the Creebridge Hotel, a friendly bar that welcomed two scousers, and served some good grub.

Attachments

• alvis a6.jpg
    alvis a6.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 210
Saturday was sunny but very windy. After a good fry up breakfast we went to the Isle of Whithorn then up the coast to Monreith, Port William and Glenluce. We headed north over the hills via New Luce to Barrhill where we picked up the A714 back to Newton Stewart for lunch at the Creebridge Hotel. After pigging out there we set off to Creetown then to Gatehouse of Fleet via the B796. From there we went on the Lauriston Forest road and the A762 to Kirkcudbright, down to Borgue, Kirkandrews, knockbrex and then a fast ride on the A75 back to the B+B. Dinner that evening was at the Number 4 restaurant on the High Street (take your own booze, excellent food) after that back to see our new friends at the Creebridge Hotel for a few beers.

Attachments

• isle of whithorn harbour.jpg
    isle of whithorn harbour.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 192
  • monreith bay a747.jpg
    monreith bay a747.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 195
Sunday morning it's pissing down, torrential rain and blowing a hooley. The weather map radar was showing a break in the weather about 11.30am, so we passed time at the guest house, and left at 1145 for the A75 to Stranraer, luck would was with us and we had a good bit of weather as we went north up the A77 to Girvan, stopping off at Ballantrae. From Girvan we toook the B741 to Straiton where we had tea and cakes at the Buck tea room. We continued along the B741 to Dalmellington were the the weather started to close in on us. We had a wet and blustery ride down the A713 towards New Galloway, then the A712 back to our base. Dinner this evening was at the Crown Hotel where we had several beers whilst we dried out after our walk to get there.

Attachments

• ballantrae.jpg
    ballantrae.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 186
Today the weather forecast was for sunshine and showers, we left our hosts about 10am, didn't bother putting on the boil in the bag suit. We got caught in a couple of short showers between NS and Dumfries but soon dried out. Our route home was the reverse of our outbound trip, and got home about 3.30 after stopping off at Tebay truck stop for a brew.
I was pleasantly surprised with the low volume of traffic around Dumfries and Galloway, the scenery lived up to our expectations, and we passed through some lovely towns and villages. It has been several years since I was last in the area (stayed at Port Patrick with Mrs FatAl) back then I was in a car and I promised myself I'd go back on a motorcycle to enjoy those roads. I wasn't disappointed.

Looks good, it's a great and under rated area with nice wee villages. Well worth a few days

One of my favourite areas with some superb biking roads :thumb

Often quiet even on bank holidays .... everyone crowding in to the Lakes to the south, or heading north west for the west coast of Scotland. Hoping to have a couple of nights up at the Buccleuch Arms, Moffat, in the next week or two. Try the Himalayan out :D:thumb2

Good one Al :thumby:

:beerjug:

Lovely trip Al.

My grandparents are buried at Sweetheart Abbey (New Abbey) in your general area.

:beerjug: :thumb2

I am up in that neck of the woods for the next 3 days on the bike, staying at Newton Stewart on Wednesday night
I will check your evening eatery recommendations
Be good to get back to D&G
Spent many a good weekend, with Micky on those roads riding our GS’s

WE enjoyed a weeks holiday (in the car) in a cottage i May this year in the Dumfries and Galloway area (St Johns Town of Dalry), it is a stunning part of the world

We visited Sweetheart abbey and other attractions namely Port William where we met a nice chap on his 1250 GSA

Raiders Road forest drive makes for an interesting excursion too

https://sobt.co.uk/raiders-road-forest-drive/

Some of the highway roads were in poor condition....but that didn't spoil the holiday :thumb

As said lots of times on here, hidden gem area. Enjoy :thumb2

But don’t tell everybody!

That’s my patch ,,, and consider myself very fortunate to live here :thumb2