X Challenge / X Country starting problems

Hustler

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Something like a couple of months ago (ish) there was a thread on here about starting problems.

Seem to remember it was specific to either the X Challenge or the X Country but unsure which.

I'm sure the thread featured instances of riding to the garage to fill up and then the bike would not start.

I've been searching for it but cannot find it so could some kindly person possibly point me in the right direction for the thread please ?

Thanks very much.

I can't point you at the thread but my X-Country certainly suffered from that.

A scan on dealer level diagnostic equipment revealed an "unusual fault" of intermittent failure of the crankshaft position sensor.

I'm surprised that the bike ran at all. I've not ridden it since the sensor was replaced, although my son to it for an MOT recently and said it now seems to be fine.

Many 'stalls at the lights' problems are due to the idle valve sticking because they get dirty. It sits at the inlet, by the air horn/inlet. Carb cleaner and a wipe is all it needs every so often, say 20,000 miles.

The idle stepper heads needs cleaning, or might be not working right. also what might help is to pull the fuse F? or battery cable and the re-learn, reset the starting procedure.
something like this, but re- google it:

1) Disconnect battery for about 30 seconds then reconnect (causes the ECU to lose it's memory of Throttle Position Sensor).
2) Turn ignition to on but DO NOT start the engine.
3) Slowly wind the throttle fully open to fully shut, repeat this three times.
4) Turn off ignition. (ECU now stores TPS position data in memory).
5) Wait 5 seconds.
6) Turn on ignition again and start bike after the light show ends.
I forgot which one, but if one of the lights blinks a couple of times > idle actuator fault

Decompression

Has the decompression actuator been upgraded on it.
I went thru all and more of the above steps on my x challenge and what finally sorted it was the above.
Bf

Termos.

I have problem, that start engine runs, but engine will not wake up.

Two things. Battery should be good condition, becouse ECU dont give spark under 800 rpm. Also start engine should be good condition.

In my bike, start engine was awfull.... O-ring, which separated start engine on engine block, was failed. Start engine was full of oil and coal dust. Coals was stuck and failed. New start engine is expensive, so I clean motor, buy new bearings and coals and lathe commutator.

If you bike have high mileage and you never check start engine, maybe you should do it?

-Ike-

Back
Top Bottom