Pair XT to TFT?

KevinW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've searched for an answer to this but not found it. If it is here, sorry, please point me to it.

Is it possible to pair the XT to the TFT? I've just tried several times to pair it as a mobile device, and the XT can see the TFT but the TFT doesn't see the XT.

Thanks.

Kevin

Why do you want to pair it ?

I guess we’ll never know.

PS I don’t think you can pair the two together. But do keep trying.

I guess we’ll never know.

PS I don’t think you can pair the two together. But do keep trying.

I was just researching the same question.

I was thinking that I would need to pair the TFT to the Zumo XT to get the same data as we currently have on the NAV6? Is that possible? The NAV6 (as those with TFT and NAv6 will know) collects and displays all sorts of data which presumably comes from the TFT. All the stuff like tyre pressures, lean angles, mpg etc can all be seen on the NAV6.

Does this data get transmitted to the Zumo XT in the same way or is that the "customisation" that BMW did to the Garmin 660 to make it a NAV6? Will I lose that data with the XT?

No. Unfortunately that won't work.

Thanks for confirming Onahi.

I did assume that, but a part of me was hoping they used some kind of open protocol, API/plug-in or something.

Ah well, I'm still planning to upgrade from NAV6 to XT. I'll see how the NAV6 performs on my upcoming trip. I'm probably going to upgrade the Zumo 660 I use on my Guzzi to a XT and give it a go. I also just bought (off an upstanding member of this community) one of the adapters to use XT on the BMW cradles...

It would a conflict of interest for BMW to allow the XT to use the Bikes information, and would draw may from the Nav 6 which is a complete waste of money. The XT exposes the Nav 6 for the piece of junk it is.
Just my opinion of course. But consider fitting the XT using its own mount, Removing the shambles of the Navigation prep mount. It uses the same plug of the OE lead. Is a pro fitting. I did use the 3D mount adapter for one trip, but hated it that much i filed it in the bin.

I like the answer Onahi! :)

Yes I will prob end up dumping the GS's NAV prep and going direct with a 12mm bar mount and resolve the cabling.... Once I get organised!

Today I have a Zumo 660 and a NAV6, and I share them over 3 bikes (my GS, my V85TT and my CRF300). Both the Guzzi and CRF have 4-button BMW mounts, hence the XT adapter so it gives me the opportunity (for now) to use any NAV on any bike. In practice I leave the NAV6 on the GS, and swap the Zumo 660 between the CRF and Guzzi.

Both the Zumo 660 and NAV6 have shown problems recently, the NAV6 with usual ghosting (this is a "Refurb" from Garmin after my last NAV6 failed), and the Zumo appears to have developed a hairline crack in the screen (probably being bounced when trail riding on the CRF!) but as yet still works OK since I recalibrated the touch screen.

I will miss the wonder wheel I think, as I have a few hundred tracks on my NAV6 (and Zumo 660) SD cards, and that's my main source of music, so I can skip tracks etc with the wonder wheel (it's about the only job I do on the NAV6 when in motion, I leave most other jobs until I am stationary as I find it too distracting)

I'm thinking of getting the XT to try... Plus I may swap my GS for a new Tiger 1200 for the 2024 season, so I can also use the XT on that...

Hacked off I missed the recent 17% discount on the XT! I'm sure they will have another Promo soon ;)

You wont regret investing in the XT. I used a 660 for years. Great nav.
I use the selection wheel for the TFT, All my music and calls come through the TFT and Sena 50s. What do you think of the new 1200 Tiger ? I did own a new Explorer XT a while back now. Hated it, and got rid within eight months. I took the new one out when it was first launched. Greta bike, But it isn't a GSA. The triple is a fantastic gritty powerplant. 4th gear is awesome. Ill not be buying one though.

You wont regret investing in the XT. I used a 660 for years. Great nav.
I use the selection wheel for the TFT, All my music and calls come through the TFT and Sena 50s. What do you think of the new 1200 Tiger ? I did own a new Explorer XT a while back now. Hated it, and got rid within eight months. I took the new one out when it was first launched. Greta bike, But it isn't a GSA. The triple is a fantastic gritty powerplant. 4th gear is awesome. Ill not be buying one though.

I had a test ride on a new Tiger 1200 - it was the 1200 GT Explorer (19" front wheel, 30 litre tank). Just a half-hour. Loved it!

It feels a bit nippier and sharper than a GS IMO. Feels lighter and more flickable. I did not notice vibes (some road tests comment on vibes) at my usual rev range (2500 - 6000), indeed a massive surge of smooth power, plenty for overtakes etc (as expected from a 1200cc bike!). It's a bit more urgent that a GS IMO (like a GS in "Dynamic"). I did not notice bad suspension dive (I expected it after the GS's lack of brake dive) under breaking. Above 6k revs it's a scalded cat (and vibrations started). Not XR crazy, but more than a GS IMO. The riding position is so similar to a GS, indeed the geometry for sitting on the bike felt identical! Weather protection was better than GS (maybe not GSA), less buffeting from the screen. It did feel like a cross between a GS and a XR

Upsides compared to GS in a nutshell - more nimble, lighter, nippier. Better brakes (it has linked brakes, but Styleema Brembos are awesome!), longer service intervals (10k miles), I preferred the Triumph version of "keyless", I think (not lived with it yet!). Illuminated switchgear. Slightly higher geared than a GS, geared more like an RS. It's not a BMW!
Negatives - luggage integration not so good (the Varios are fab and leave no traces/scaffold when off the bike), no wonderwheel (!), valve-clearance service is a major task! Maybe the BMW TFT is a bit better, Tiger TFT slow to "boot up".

I personally found it hard to think there's a clear winner between the GS and new Tiger. They're both awesome to cover long distance with ease. Preformance will be similar with the Triumph having a slight edge on power. They both cover huge distances easily, but yet can set a good pace on a twisty mountain road. Altho the Triumph felt nippier, I don't know how it would fare in the handling department against a GS on a mountain road (like for instance the Picos San Glorio Pass, or the Hartside Pass) whether one bike or the other would show a clear advantage. I've also yet to ride the Tiger 2-up, and my ladyfriend would need to give the pillion perch a "thumbs", she loves the GS ride comfort...

Of course the new BMW 1300 boxer engine will no doubt put the GS range fully in the lead ;) I'm sure BMW will tackle some of the "weaknesses" of the current range, and try to leapfrog the competition.

what do you think about resale values between the two in five years ?

what do you think about resale values between the two in five years ?

Ha no idea! Probably the BMW's will do better.

I had expected to keep my GS for years and years. I've bought "everything" for it, incl the GS-911, I have spoke and alloy wheels etc. I just sold my K1200RS after 24 years ownership, so I'm not a guy who swaps bikes frequently (hence worry less about resale value)... Between BMW and my local dealer, the shine has come off the BMW ownership experience a bit, hence considering the swap...

Kept 1150 for 14 years 90K miles, only fault was a headlight bulb. I've gone through one Tiger Explorer, and four GSA's in 9 years, My current GSA Rallye ill keep until the second year of the new GSA when it comes. If A bike feels a keeper, Its a keeper.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Onahi - I agree! It's about finding the "one for you". It takes something extra to really "gel" with a bike. The GS is a stunning tool, it really does so many things VERY well. A fabulous machine. It took me ages to really start to like it though.

Same with some cars. Some are like a washing machine or dishwasher. They do the job they were meant to do, and do it really well. But it takes and extra bit of something to make you also want to go out into a cold garage and polish it!

Back
Top Bottom