Sleeping set up question

alfie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve got a exped 7 mat and a corus down quilt at the adv bike week end woke up freezing cold. Do I need a mat under the exped. ?!

I’ve got a exped 7 mat and a corus down quilt at the adv bike week end woke up freezing cold. Do I need a mat under the exped. ?!

Spent 100s of nights on an exped and similar, never used a mat under them. But always used a good bag and not a quilt

Same here, Exped 7 mat in way below zero conditions and never felt the need to put anything under. When on my own I use a bag, with wife it’s an Exped double quilt. Loose if it’s warm but clipped to the top sheet when it’s cold - which makes the set up significantly warmer.

Suggest it’s the quilt not the mat you need to be upgrading.

Never tried those pod style sleeping bags but they let you move around a bit more maybe give those a go .

I took a cot and then used an exped style inflatable‘ mattress’ with a Vango sleeping bag. Using the cot helped a lot to keep me warm as opposed to being in indirect contact with a hard, damp, cold surface.

Did you blow the mat up?
How can you be freezing in June?

ABR Festival FFS! :blast

Was there nobody at the ABR event to ask? I would have thought that was an excellent source of first hand, hands on, real life experience of the rufty-tufty bikermate sort?

There is a big difference between an ordinary sleeping mat, Exped or not, and a mat with down like an Exped Downmat.

Mustn't inflate a mat with down as the water vapour in the breath ruins the insulation properties. Use a pump, or for Exped use their snozzle bag.

tom

Was there nobody at the ABR event to ask? I would have thought that was an excellent source of first hand, hands on, real life experience of the rufty-tufty bikermate sort?

Henry Seymour must be made aware of the permafrost problem discovered on his front lawn by the ABR pioneers.

alfie,
I use a similar setup, and put a very thin blanket on the floor under the air mat. Thye sort that has a reflective surface to reflect the heatr back up.
I've been toasty well into freezing conditions.

Here yyou are Alfie; this was our set up for nearly 2 wks at the TT this year; put up cots; our thermarest that i would'nt go anywhere without; then a double duvet folded in half making it easy to climb in and out of; and a couple of cheap pillows; slept better than i did at home; we've been using duvet' s for a few years for the TT but it was a first time for the put ups this year; winner.:beerjug:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220629-214648.jpg
    Screenshot_20220629-214648.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 224
Here yyou are Alfie; this was our set up for nearly 2 wks at the TT this year; put up cots; our thermarest that i would'nt go anywhere without; then a double duvet folded in half making it easy to climb in and out of; and a couple of cheap pillows; slept better than i did at home; we've been using duvet' s for a few years for the TT but it was a first time for the put ups this year; winner.:beerjug:

Weren't you in the way of the people using that blue fronted tent? :D

Hmm, perhaps that's why the OP was so cold....he hasn't mentioned being inside a tent. :D :D

How do you get all that on one bike and with a pillion? :nenau

Weren't you in the way of the people using that blue fronted tent? :D

Hmm, perhaps that's why the OP was so cold....he hasn't mentioned being inside a tent. :D :D

How do you get all that on one bike and with a pillion? :nenau

I cheat; when you go for practice and race wk you need to set your stall out for comfort; the tent; the thermarests; and the beds and chairs get posted over a few days before we go; the cheap duvet's and pillows we buy over there and leave them for the scouts when we go; we get a taxi to the post office with the big bag; she goes in the taxi and i follow on the bike; once posted she's on the bike and were off to the docks to get home; we've been doing it this way for years although it was a first for the cots this year.:beerjug:

Same tent in 2014;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220630-105414.jpg
    Screenshot_20220630-105414.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_20220630-105459.jpg
    Screenshot_20220630-105459.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 122

Back
Top Bottom