Connected Cradle / App - Phone Call Issue

yorkshire whippet

Reaction score
I've had the cradle for around a fortnight now and just returned from a 5 day trip around Germany's iconic dams to 'test' it out. Prior to the trip I imported a number of routes using a combination of GPS Visualizer and Google My Maps and found the process relatively simple or at least simpler than the process for my CoPilot app which was my previous source of navigation. The unit was linked to the TFT and I also had my Cardo headset and mobile phone linked to the bike. I was travelling with 2 other friends who also had Cardo headsets and we were using the mesh system. Providing I ensured everything was connected after having cafe or fuel stops the system was excellent and we even utilised the POI search when we had to find a garage with an airline as one of our group was losing front tyre pressure. My only issue with it (and this may be to do with my settings rather than anything else as I am a newbie with this headset malarky) was when I phoned home. After the call was finished the phone went into standby/lock effectively shutting me out with a black screen and no ability to open it by the wonder wheel and therefore losing the map. If I remember rightly the turn instructions did still display on the TFT and the commands still came through the headset however to get the maps back up I had to stop to unlock the phone. My phone is Android. Has anybody else experienced this and does anybody know a solution? It's not a biggy as I don't tend to use the phone whilst riding too often but the same thing happens if someone calls me necessitating a stop which is annoying.

Hopefully someone will have an answer, beyond ‘Turn your phone calls off’ :D

All joking apart, there are a number of factors in play: The phone, the cradle (which is only a charging mount / interface with the bike’s TFT etc), Bluetooth, third party communications devices and a mesh. Not least, you are unsure as as to whether the visual turn-by-turn instructions (as shown on the TFT screen *) continued whilst the phone was blacked out.

Hopefully someone with an identical set-up (none of it is exotic) will know the answer. The most common answer being: Daisy chain the lot together in the correct manner. Of course, just like the simple process of checking the quantity of oil in a motorcycle’s engine, there are a million and one versions of what the correct way is. Chose the one that works for you. Oh and be sure that your phone wasn’t just overheating in the sun and blacking out that way.

Good luck…. The answer is bound to be out there.

* To misquote, I’m sorry I haven’t a clue.

Thank you for the reply. It wasn't over heating as I tried it again in the UK within minutes after leaving the ferry and it had performed faultlessly in 30° heat on 10 hour days as a nav. The turn by turn commands were still working on the TFT which suggests the app was working but maybe there's something in my phone settings that overrides everything else. I have all the connected app permissions on so I'm not sure why it does it. Hoping someone with more experience of these things than myself will know exactly what's going on. I will experiment with the daisy chaining or at least the order that I pair things but the phone needs to be connected to the TFT to access the phone book does it not?

It’s always happened in the app.
It’s not the cradle.
Your maps on the screen are there because the app has kept it open. Same as Apple Maps for instance. Phone is locked but maps still display.
Once you take a call it overrides that and then on ending your phone has actually already locked the screen on your specified timeout. On ending call your phone just does what it’s system has told it to do.
So you either need to stop your screen timing out and locking OR BMW need to change the app to stop it locking.

Same happens to me. I think it's probably something that BMW need to address.

Really pleased with the system other than this issue!

It's not the end of the world and I really like the system but I think BMW could do with addressing the problem as I have no idea how to stop it locking.

Well that didn't go too well. I took the lock functionality off the phone and promptly lost my bank details from Google Pay - it may just be a coincidence but I'm thinking it needs the auto lock for security.

Well, I got in touch with BMW, they suggested the usual unpair, re-pair etc. (Which I'd done numerous times) and then said to have the latest software uploaded onto the bike. I havent been bothered to take it in yet and thought id get it done at its yearly service/mot.

Back
Top Bottom