BMW 1150GS - light switches for different years of make

Nando654321

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Hopefully a quick and easy one

If I’m looking at an 1150GSA with a 2004 plate but it has the light switches on the right handlebar as per the picture attached (ie you can choose if light on / off) rather than the setup I have on my current GS which doesn’t have this (ie lights on all the time), does that mean the GSA in question is actually a 2001 ish or earlier made bike?

Thanks

Attachments

• 594FC35B-6732-4511-B172-4F8C52127731.jpeg
    594FC35B-6732-4511-B172-4F8C52127731.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 199
My 1150 GS is an 02 reg and the same as your pic.

My 1150 GS is an 02 reg and the same as your pic.

Ok thanks

But what I’m trying to work out is whether this really is a 2004 bike or more of a 1999-2002 bike potentially imported into the Uk etc

I thought the ability to take off the lights was removed by late 2002 ish meaning a 2004 bike should not have that option?

Cheers

Ok thanks

But what I’m trying to work out is whether this really is a 2004 bike or more of a 1999-2002 bike potentially imported into the Uk etc

I thought the ability to take off the lights was removed by late 2002 ish meaning a 2004 bike should not have that option?

Cheers

I think you're right - but you could retro-fit a switch cluster with headlamp switch onto later models (I seem to remember someone in the USA doing a kit involving spotlights using the headlamp switch). The earlier and later switch clusters can't be swapped without some surgery, but I think these were sourced from a market which retained the headlamp switch after the change.

The easiest way to find the age of the bike is to put its VIN into a VIN decoder...

I think you're right - but you could retro-fit a switch cluster with headlamp switch onto later models (I seem to remember someone in the USA doing a kit involving spotlights using the headlamp switch). The earlier and later switch clusters can't be swapped without some surgery, but I think these were sourced from a market which retained the headlamp switch after the change.

The easiest way to find the age of the bike is to put its VIN into a VIN decoder...

Ok thanks

Found out the age another way! Even though it’s a “2005”, actually the MOTs started in 2005 which tells all of us that in real life it’s a 2002 bike latest, thus explaining my picture above

I would be paying for a 2005 bike which is actually a 2002 bike…

Hence the 1150GS is staying in the garage and not being replaced by a GSA!

My March 2002 build bike has the switch.

Ok thanks

Found out the age another way! Even though it’s a “2005”, actually the MOTs started in 2005 which tells all of us that in real life it’s a 2002 bike latest, thus explaining my picture above

I would be paying for a 2005 bike which is actually a 2002 bike…

Hence the 1150GS is staying in the garage and not being replaced by a GSA!

You might be getting into catch 22 here, mine is 2004 built in 2003 I think, and it’s got servo abs, I’ve seen you want abs but I would seek out non servo abs in an ideal world , lots of abs servo bikes have had the servo ripped out due to reliability, if it goes tits up you end up with little to no braking. It’s a setup I don’t mind but far from everyone’s cup of tea and to replace the servo really is big bucks

You might be getting into catch 22 here, mine is 2004 built in 2003 I think, and it’s got servo abs, I’ve seen you want abs but I would seek out non servo abs in an ideal world , lots of abs servo bikes have had the servo ripped out due to reliability, if it goes tits up you end up with little to no braking. It’s a setup I don’t mind but far from everyone’s cup of tea and to replace the servo really is big bucks

Cheers and noted

Indeed catch 22 as I have the London ULEZ compliant issue to deal with too!

My current 1150 GS is free as it’s a 2004 version hence way after the “around 2002 or later” cutoff

I wouldn’t want to risk it on a 2002 bike that is sold as a 2005 bike hence might be an import and wouldn’t get the BMW certificate for free London riding…

It’s no problem, my current GS is doing a grand job

I’ve two 2004 bikes, one is a twin spark non servo bike with no light switch. The other a single spark servo brake with an on/of light switch :D ..both are ULEZ exempt and I can say I couldn’t give a feck when they were actually made. :D

I’ve two 2004 bikes, one is a twin spark non servo bike with no light switch. The other a single spark servo brake with an on/of light switch :D ..both are ULEZ exempt and I can say I couldn’t give a feck when they were actually made. :D

I’m even more cavalier, I couldn’t give a shit about ULEZ :D

I've a 2003 GSA that comes with a right switch cluster with no on/off control on the headlamp. Would a switch cluster with headlamp on/off option ie PO first image, gives me control of my lights, assuming the connectors fit?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I've a 2003 GSA that comes with a right switch cluster with no on/off control on the headlamp. Would a switch cluster with headlamp on/off option ie PO first image, gives me control of my lights, assuming the connectors fit?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I don’t the connections are the same on later bikes

I’m even more cavalier, I couldn’t give a shit about ULEZ :D

At £12.50 a day if you are not exempt, it becomes very painful…

Cheers all, understood and it’s a no from me.

MOT check showed that although it was being sold as a “2005” bike, it had MOTs from July 2005 onwards which makes no sense.

As I already own a nice GS which is doing the job just fine, the GSA search can continue. One of those “I’m in the toilet, might as well look if any new GSAs have come up for sale”

Back
Top Bottom