Pan European on the lift

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This big old girl is due some love, so its on the lift for a full service, new tyres, and to fit a McCruise unit. Once done it’ll be my perfect workhorse bike.

Getting onto the ramp was bloody terrifying TBH, and its up there its filling the workshop up pretty well - using space that’s never been used before!

IMG_4729.jpg

IMG_4727.jpg

IMG_4730.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yep, don’t get to see inside here much.

IMG_4732.jpg
IMG_4731.jpg
IMG_4733.jpg

And nicely set up so it’s easy to find TDC

IMG_4734.jpg

Needless to say all well within spec, oil comes out nice and clean, plugs look great.

Wheels off now for new tyres, and I’m waiting for the McCruise unit to arrive from Oz.

Great bit of kit, one of my favourite all time bikes, interested to see the McCruise install.

Great bit of kit, one of my favourite all time bikes, interested to see the McCruise install.

I was having a chat with some of my biking mates in the pub the other day, going through the old “if you could only have one bike” conversation. They were surprised when I chose the Pan.

I like it more than my 1250RT that cost almost three times as much. And with the cruise fitted it’ll be just where I want it - apart from the rear shock which despite having the Denz0 treatment isn’t quite up to scratch.

I can write up the McCruise install on here if there’s interest.

For the life of me, I can’t see the cruise install!
I did notice it has a Kaoko style throttle lock.
Which begs the question, why would you have both?

For the life of me, I can’t see the cruise install!
I did notice it has a Kaoko style throttle lock.
Which begs the question, why would you have both?

Popell you’re not going mad, I’ve not done it yet!

The Kaoko is coming off and a proper electronic cruise control going on. Probably next weekend.

I have a bumpstop fitted to my bench https://www.bumpstop.co.uk/products/bumpstop/ which means that you can use power and the clutch to walk the bike up the ramp until it clunks in the bumpstop and that supports it. Then with the scissor jack (like yours) you can lift the bike , remove the bumpstop wheel chocks to remove the front wheel. It overhangs the bench so you gain another 6 inches or so.

How’d the McCruise install go? And can I ask how much it cost, did you have to pay import duties etc? It’s the one thing that would make my Pan perfect…..well almost, straighter bars would help a bit too;)

Morning!

Very good, and it works brilliantly - almost like it was an OE fitment. Got a long run down to the alps next month so will give it a proper test but so far all good.

The instructions are superb, the only problem I had was chasing a clutch switch issue that wasn’t there because I didn’t read the instructions that were caller i had to test with it in gear, not in neutral.

It took me most part of a day to install, partly because I also did a full service while all the bodywork was off, and partly because I was being particularly pernicious in routing wires, cables etc.

IMG_4749.jpg
IMG_4750.jpg
IMG_4751.jpg

Here’s what you get

IMG_4765.jpg
IMG_4766.jpg

And here’s the servo and cable splitter that does all the work.

Controls are nice and simple, really easy to use and feed in and out is seamless, no jolts or hiccups.

It’s not cheap though. I paid £782 for the unit and £233 duty etc.

Bloody Hell....what a coincidence! I worked at the Hydraulic shop next door to them (Motorcycle Setup) for a few months years ago....small world.:D

Morning!

It’s not cheap though. I paid £782 for the unit and £233 duty etc.

Ouch…..

But, it’s looking like its this fitted to a known good bike thats already farkled to suit, or keep trying to fix other issues on my non cruise controlFJR(which I’d also need to buy a later one with Cruise) or buy an RT which I’m really resistant too. Prefer Jap reliability:thumb. Having cruise on my S10 proves it is worth having.

How long did it take to arrive from ordering Nin?

It was a little delayed because they were waiting for components to arrive from a supplier, but I got it within 2 weeks of ordering which is pretty good in my book

I had the same thought as you - I upgraded from my 1250 RT to a 2014 ST1300, 14k miles, full history and the four extras you need on these bikes - OE top box; fairing deflectors; top of dash GPS mount; comfy seats. I spent a few bob refurbishing the suspension and it’s perfecto now.

Off to do the Route des Grande Alpes next month on it. I’ll be thankful for the cruise on the first two days.

I’m on my second, an 05 bought four years ago with 15k on it. It’s got the OE topbox and I added the spoiler/brakelight too. I’ve modded the seat and added a givi airflow blade to a cut down screen. I rebuilt the forks and had MCT rebuild the shock adding a hyperpro progressive spring which he hated, but we’d done the previous one and know it suits us. Apart from the weight, Cruise would pretty much make her perfect.
Never felt the need for the deflectors, but if I tried one maybe I would???

Attachments

• 32B9234B-7524-4401-AB03-A6CEB90E4BAB.jpg
    32B9234B-7524-4401-AB03-A6CEB90E4BAB.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 123
Not seen the airflow before - didn’t know they made one for the Pan?

You don’t need deflectors really unless you’re doing miles in the rain.

I’ve got the standard shock rebuilt in this one, had an M-Shock on the last which was much better.

Not seen the airflow before - didn’t know they made one for the Pan?

They don’t. I had the blade and fittings from my twin cam. Its base had been smashed when an idiot in a van rammed me off it. So i cut down a spare std screen I’d got for the Pan and fitted the brackets to it.

Back
Top Bottom