Taking your helmet on a plane ?

We flew BA LHR to Chicago two weeks ago and carried them as hand baggage. No challenges. They are safety equipment and may get damaged by carriage in the hold.

We did use cheap padded Oxford helmet bags.

Flew with KLM last month, nobody asked about it at the multi storey car park, check in , security , passport control , the gate, onboard or customs, not even the taxi driver at the other end . It’ll be reet .

And Arsey is definitely a bad man :D

Pre Covid, I was flying every few weeks for work, destinations from North America to China, mainly from T5 on BA. Last December we flew to Barbados, much more paperwork, changes on requirements and safety measures every few weeks.

This will be the first flight since, I’ve never flown with so much stuff.

thats because of brexit.

Hand luggage, traveled now several times to USA for Bike tours and always hand luggage. Never any problems...

I sold and delivered a bike to a bloke in Liverpool once and flew back home on Ryanair. Booked a seat for the lid - £10. Never now how arsey that airline will be.

I put mine in the suitcase, Ok it was a cheapish open face, but it was undamaged.

Following a Google it appears we will need to check our helmets as hold luggage on our flights to and from the US.

How could this best be accomplished?

Packed in a cardboard box

Buy protective helmet bags

Rent helmets

What do others do ?

Recently had too much luggage going to Canada so was hoping to blag the helmet on as hand luggage, even though I had my allowance all ready. At first they refused me but I said it was fragile and they said okay and waived me through.
:nenau

Back
Top Bottom