Advice on 1290 Adventure r

Pluribus

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am considering buying a new 1290 r. I recall back in the day ktm were known to discount bikes leaving buyers of new bikes with a hefty devaluation over a short period.

So my question is, are discounts readily available from the collective experience and also would the s be a better option for mainly road riding…..but I do like the look of the r.

Thanks in advance.

P

I am considering buying a new 1290 r. I recall back in the day ktm were known to discount bikes leaving buyers of new bikes with a hefty devaluation over a short period.

So my question is, are discounts readily available from the collective experience and also would the s be a better option for mainly road riding…..but I do like the look of the r.

Thanks in advance.

P

Price has gone up since I bought mine last year. Given the current supply issues with most manufacturers I’d be very surprised if prices fell in the short to medium term. Unfortunately no crystal ball to be sure though.

I don’t think you’ll get much discount at the moment. Short supply and the 2021 on bikes are pretty popular - especially the R. You’re more likely to get a few extras chucked in eg tech pack

I kind of fancy R over a S as well but I think S is a better choice most of the time - my current off road to road split is about 3500 miles - 20 miles, am planning a few days off road in pyrenees which may change my mind.

I did at some stage cost up the ‘R’ plastics to R’ify my S - think it was about £1200

No idea about current discounts but my R handles fantastically on the road . It’s shod with Pirelli Rally STRs and grip is amazing . Brilliant bike and SO much better than the previous model

607b26718e34e60bbd2b111eee3ded67.jpg

5839efea3a915faa981c6ed0bb3c9693.jpg

I don’t think you’ll get much discount at the moment. Short supply and the 2021 on bikes are pretty popular - especially the R. You’re more likely to get a few extras chucked in eg tech pack

I kind of fancy R over a S as well but I think S is a better choice most of the time - my current off road to road split is about 3500 miles - 20 miles, am planning a few days off road in pyrenees which may change my mind.

I did at some stage cost up the ‘R’ plastics to R’ify my S - think it was about £1200

My head is saying the s would be better for the road…..but the r looks bloody lovely.

P

No idea about current discounts but my R handles fantastically on the road . It’s shod with Pirelli Rally STRs and grip is amazing . Brilliant bike and SO much better than the previous model

607b26718e34e60bbd2b111eee3ded67.jpg

5839efea3a915faa981c6ed0bb3c9693.jpg

Stunning looking bike that Arsey. Pictures like that make me want the r……and the fact you are saying it handles on the road is a bonus.

P

Get the R….. ( scrambler for the chop?)

Get the R….. ( scrambler for the chop?)

Hey hey…….not sure if the Scrambler is going yet……made some sensible mods and it looks great. Looking to get a ktm as well…….but plans change…..��

P

Thanks in advance.

P

I was the same. I remember them selling off GTs and Super 1290 S models for under £10k over winter a few years ago. Prices seem to have crept up since then. I think they are selling everything they make at the moment.

If you aren't going off road, the S is a good roadbike, great handling and good road manners - ok for gentle off roading and gravel etc. I managed to do the ABR off-road course on my 2019 model a few weeks ago.

I have the previous S and it is brilliant, tested the R model (2019) but don't like the feel of the front as much, although IMHO the suspension is of greater quality on the R models.

Tested latest model and think it is a bit better in most areas, except leg room, but when upgrade time comes I would still look at the KTM over the competition.

Have to admit the current R colours are fantastic, and not surprising they are selling so well, but would still buy an S as really it is the bike for me.

Discounts for KTM's have been a bit thin last few years, and all manufacturers do it, I was once offered a GS that was not discounted - but had a £1750 "deosit contribution" and £1200 of free extras, but definately not a £3,000 discount of course as that would devalue other existing customers bikes....

...Obviously their 6 month old standard bike would still sell secondhand for the same price as a new one with panniers ;-)

I have been lucky and got a good discount in 2016 and in 2019, but other years nothing I fancied came up cheap, and some models you never see discounted, just depends what has got to the "sell-by" date and needs clearing out each winter, and as long as you are not trying to flog your used bike whilst the same is on then no problem - just wait until spring when the leftovers have gone and new models appear at full RRP ;-)

Thanks for all the feedback. I intend to test ride both and then make a decision.

P

I looked at the R and the S but the short supply of the R, and the extra adaptive cruise on the S made me go for the S in black.
It’s such a great bike and for me much more fun than the GSA

Now had my S for almost 4 years, still wonder what the R on S wheel swould have been like, but overall very happy.

Waiting for a 1290 SM-T to come along, like the S but with 17" front wheel and some pukka suspension (High quality conventonal fork cartidges and proper remote resoirvoir / serviceable rear shock, happy for them to throw most the other electronic gizmo's in the bin as well - except cruise as that is genuinely very handy.

Im 18months 15k miles in on my 2021 KTM 1290 Super adventure s loving it... far better fun than BMW an easy to push around , clean, etc... as to price who knows all i can say is ring BEN and Raymond at Judd Racing Notts that's where we cut a deal on 3 KTMS

Got to love a 1290 but this might be the most pointless advertising video. A video for 0.1% of owners who might attempt to ride like this without killing themselves. Ridiculous frankly. I bet the 0.1% would be happier on an 890R too.

Great bikes. A brilliant but pointless advert :D

Got to love a 1290 but this might be the most pointless advertising video. A video for 0.1% of owners who might attempt to ride like this without killing themselves. Ridiculous frankly. I bet the 0.1% would be happier on an 890R too.

Great bikes. A brilliant but pointless advert :D

Where ? :nenau

Back
Top Bottom