Gearbox and final drive oil

uses teflon additive in the gearbox and final drive of his twin cam R1200RT from new, now on 170,000 miles with no issues.

I think I'll call snake oil but if he is happy then that is his gig

IN reality changing the Gear and FD oil on schedule with Good appropriately spec'd Oil should suffice

I know of Many man fine BMWs with well over 150K and the only issues with gear box were input shaft splines and Gear position indicators, Gears were all dead on

I recall most of my Tribology course at Uni - Swishes, and swirls, counting drops using redwood seconds. The only issue with changing lubricants from that specified is oil pumps and narrow channels. I am surprised that BMW doesn't spec the same long-life/sealed-for-life lube for gearboxes on bikes. FD and Gearbox I would put friction-reducing additives in, they make sense. I stick with the spec'd oil for the engine. Hardly a Rolls Royce pulling a Plough...

‘Castrol SAF XO has been replaced by Castrol Syntrax Long Life 75w-90 and that also is no longer available.’ To quote one oil supplier
My BMW dealer used to sell litre bottles of SAF XO.
Now they only sell BMW branded 50 litre containers and the dealer would not elaborate on what it contained .

So can someone recommend me the right oil then for the rear differential or is this the same as the rear final drive?

So can someone recommend me the right oil then for the rear differential or is this the same as the rear final drive?

There is NO differential on a motorcycle

It is a Bevel drive or final drive or rear drive and you can put in what you wish

BUT BMW recommend that you put a GL5 specification oil in there

Viscosity is your preference ...

Mine is 75 0r 85 W140 GL5

and that my friend is where the fight began ..................................

933ff17463de4c4861a5c4c1bb8161b5.jpg

Fuchs Titan Race SYN 5 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil
Fuchs Titan Race SYN 5 75w-90 gear oil (formerly known as Silkolene Silktran SYN 5 75w-90) is a very high performance gear oil, rally proven in sequential gearboxes and active transmissions.
Fuchs Titan Race SYN 5 fully synthetic gear oil is a multifunction product designed primarily for use in manual transmissions and final drive units, including road and competition limited-slip differentials.

SYN 5 was previously available under the Silkolene brand. SYN 5 has now been re-labeled as Fuchs Titan Race SYN 5 75w-90 and offers the same outstanding formulation. During the changeover, you may receive either Silkolene or Fuchs Titan branded product.

Benefits:
Fuchs Titan Race SYN 5 gear oil utilises the latest and most thermally stable components available and may be used in equipment subjected to the most arduous duties. Components used incorporate the latest chemistry designed to meet the most recently defined and most stringent gear oil performance criteria.
Specifications:
Specification
GL5
MIL-PRF-2105E

So I use a Smith & Allan Geartech mineral EP80w-90 GL5 in my Airheads (I have a lot of this oil) - spec API GL-5, MIL-L-2105D, MAN 342-M1, 342-M2, Mercedes Benz 235.0, ZF TE-ML 07A, 08, 12E, 16C, 17B, 19B, 21A

Is this suitable for hex-heads or shall I go synthetic?

Just to definitely check ..........You are not racing it and You are not moto-crossing it

If the answer to the above questions is no??

GL5 is ALL That matters in reality!

I use a more viscous oil but that is merely my preference!

Just to confirm. This comment is in ref to the FD, not the gearbox?!

Yes I use the 85W 140 GL5 in the FD I have not had any FD failures since I changed to using it

Its a Heavy Gloopy oil that clings to every thing in copious amounts, Some idiots say that it's too heavy and slows your bike down ?? :blast If your 100 hp plus bike struggles to move a couple of hundred ccs of gloopy oil ??? Hmmm

Anyway I did a test, to satisfy my own thoughts If you leave a ball bearing in it for a few minutes and lift it out and hang it up even after a day there will still be oil in and around the bearings

Try that with the fully synth pish ............there will be some (Very little) but not as much as the claggy stuff

It's my own thoughts / idea that I follow and I am happy with the results over 20 years, But you don't have to listen to me :)

the most important thing is that there is oil of sufficient quantity and at least Minimum specification

I have an 09 hex head with 82k on it. I have done all the servicing since owning it (11 years and 79k miles) and I change the FD oil every service, last time was yesterday. The oil is clean with very little dis-colouration and there is no noise or unwanted movement from the rear wheel. I use Castrol Syntrax 75W90. As Dr Farkoff said it's up to you what to use but don't overfill, just 180ml.

Following on from my last post. Castrol Syntrax is no longer available and has been replaced with this. Castrol Transmax 75W90.

Attachments

• 957-1.jpg
    957-1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 130
Quote Originally Posted by dashfixer View Post
Following on from my last post. Castrol Syntrax is no longer available and has been replaced with this. Castrol Transmax 75W90.

I had a look at this and all I could find was GL4, not the GL5 that we need. I could be wrong...

Opies are showing it as GL4...

Quote Originally Posted by dashfixer View Post

Opies are showing it as GL4...

So, the only GL5 I can find is

Gearbox oil -CASTROL- MTX Full Synthetic 75W/140, GL5

As used by the good Dr Farkoff and me.

Back
Top Bottom