Nav 6 accuracy

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Odd one and sure it is not normal, my old Zumo 660 was reliable in accuracy to within a couple of metres whether in the UK or Europe.

The Nav 6 is also spot on regarding distance to junctions ,speed cameras etc in the UK but during my two European trips this year including through the Netherrlands ,Belgium,Northern Germany, Southern Germany and Austria it has drifted in accuracy often being 20 ,30 or more metres out on turns, junctions and speed cameras .

Anyone else had similar ?

Hi Neil, my Nav vi does the same occasionally. I think it's down to how much detail you have set up on the map, whether it's 3D or not and possibly because of poor reception from the satellites causing a few seconds delay in reporting turns etc - unless a GPS/techy expert has another view?

Setting aside any possible problem with the device itself, I think post #2 probably hits the nail on the head.

Mix in that someone on holiday is probably using their sat nav for an extended period, longer than they might at home and / or maybe paying more attention to it, might explain what they are seeing, too.

Or it’s just a Nav VI that is starting to malfunction….. it’s only a matter of time. Sell it whilst you are ahead.

Oddly enough sat nav shows full amount of bars for reception across here and it is on the same map settings as I use at home, one of lifes great mysteries

Well came back up from Austria last week via Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands to the ferry port, The sat nav was consistently out on accuracy on every junction, speed camera , fuel stationc by as I said 20 to 30 metres.

Once in Hull set it for home address which I would normally never bother, the accuracy was spot on to within a metre or two for every junction etc. Very odd

The sat nav was consistently out on accuracy on every junction, speed camera , fuel stationc by as I said 20 to 30 metres.

Garmin GPS receivers are accurate to within 15 meters (49 feet) 95% of the time. Generally, users will see accuracy within 5 to 10 meters (16 to 33 feet) under normal conditions. To view the current accuracy rating of your device, refer to its Satellite Information Page.

If you have GPS Essentials on your phone you can see how many satellites are visible.
My old 276c GPS used to be able to display all the sats. in view, but I suppose that with all the bloatware on modern devices there is no room for such niceties.

There was also need for the unit to re-download the Almanac. For instance, take a flight from the UK to India (with the unit off) and the Almanac/Ephemeris data gets downloaded at startup.

almanac.txt

Came up the A1 today, GPS was spot on for every footbridge, railway bridge and overpass plus the junctions and speed cameras , only difference i can think of s that the unit is set in imperial (miles) whereas abroad it is set in metric ie kms. next time out I will set it in metric to see if there is a difference

The units chosen should make no difference. Either the device (and therefore the cursor) knows where it is or it doesn’t. From your description, it was the cursor that was yards away on the map. The cursor’s position is driven by triangulation, using data passed to it from satellites. The more satellites the device sees, the more accurate its position on the map will be.

In that case it must be suffering fron satellite blindness when in foreign climes

In that case it must be suffering fron satellite blindness when in foreign climes

Why it should do it frequently is a mystery.

Lots of bods are going abroad, let’s see if they start to report the same. For what it’s worth, I went around France for three weeks in June, with no significant problems at all.

There is though a junction in Chimay, where I can all but guarantee it goes wrong and a couple of motorway junctions, where the width of the carriageways tricks the device into thinking I am off route.

its all down to brexit, they can tell which units are from the UK.

Back
Top Bottom