Cali' 3, carb model, rev counter.

Ogmios style mechanicing - NOT recommended!

I meant to say :blast

Removed relays, ( all Italian:rob) wiggled them, removed fuses..... The one that is for the ignition circuit ( well, when removed and ignition turned on, no lights came up on the dash) had obviously overheated, the plastic was quite deformed. Not looked at the fuses for many years, I've had the bike for 10.

Undone several connectors, looked at terminals for verdigris, none there, as I tend to break and make connectors and dribble ACF in, whenever I get a bike.

Not conclusive as I only revved it for a few seconds, but, the rev counter needle doesn't dance when the bike isn't moving.

No time to get on the bike today, I'll go out on it tomorrow

So you went through all of the possibilities possible and (i'm hoping) have found the problem and fixed it :thumb2.
Except you dont know which of all the things you fiddled with actually fixed it and was the actual cause.
So if it happens again - what? Are you going to go through the whole palaver of going through all of the above? Again? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying this just to give you grief, honest!

It's just that this is EXACTLY what i've done on my Guzzi, especially with electrical trouble;
I.E. thought about ALL the things it could be and gone through ALL of the possible things to do to fix it.
Then it's back working fine again. :)

... and someone says to me "Oh, you got it working. That's great. What was it?"
and i reply "Er..... dunno" :nenau :banghead:

~~~
:D:beerjug:

You are course correct, but, it wasn't a long job.

All the fuses and relays. Didn't remove the tank, just the side panels, only disconnected anything in sight on the L/H hand side, 2 by the headlamp.

Time will tell.:eek:

Failed...

Played up last night, 25 miles from home, starting to rain.

Removed seat, wiggled Digiplex relay, and it started, rev counter still bouncing got me home.

Today, I think I was more logical.:blagblah I took the cover off the relay. removed one half of the contacts on the side that actuates the coil, cleaned them up, there was evidence of arcing, also cleaned up the fixed contact. Cleaned the male terminals that plug into the relay base. Bike runs ok in garage, no erratic rev counter.

Engine not running ,ignition on,, side stand and Digiplex relay both activate.

I didn't put the cover back on the Digiplex relay, so that I could see if it was arcing, with the engine running. All was well.

Dropped side stand both relays deenergised, did this several times. Then I did the same with the kill switch several times, all functioning correctly.

Go out locally tomorrow, see what happens.
Trying to find a new relay, as a just in case thing. Guy on Guzzitech forum gave me a list of alternatives. Can I find a Bosch or Siemens one anywhere, no!

Bitron B047E 46520411-232006 & 232008
Borg-Warner (BWD) R3223
BMW 61 36 1 393 412 & 61 36 1 393 415
Bosch 0-332-207-307
Ducati 541.4.003.1A & 541.4.010.1A
Ford F57B-14B192-AA
Hella 4RD 931 524-02
Hongfa HFV6 012ZS-TR & 012HS-TR
NAIS ACM13221 & ACM33221
NHG NVFMCZ20 & NVFMCZ25
Omron G8HN-1A2T & G8HN-1C2T
Siemens V23073 & V23074
Song Chuan 871-1C-S-R1-12VDC
Tyco A1001-A402 & A1001-A403
Zettler AZ988-1CT-12DC1R(201)

I'd go for the Siemens or Bosch.

I love that concept of parts commonality. When the oil pressure switch went on my Monster, I avoided the expense and delay of ordering from Ducati by visiting a Fiat parts counter - got the part for a fraction of the Ducati cost - same part number, plenty in stock.

Unfortunately the listed relays are not what I need, well, might need.....

I took the cover off the relay, removed one half of the contacts, cleaned off evidence of arcing, did the same on the fixed side.

My knowledge of Guzzis has come along, a little.

Power goes to ignition switch, then to the Kill switch, then to the side stand switch, then to the side stand relay, then to the Digiplex relay.

The horn relay is identical to the Digiplex relay. I've swapped them over. My thoughts are that as they are both dated 1992, the Digiplex one is on all the time the engine is running, the horn one is hardly used. Did this in case the relay is playing up.

Previously I had taken the cover off the Digiplex relay, removed one half of the points, removed evidence of arcing, did the same to the fixed side. Bike /rev counter still misbehaved.

I've had the ignition on, activated side stand to check the switch, that works, side stand relay works.

I may disconnect the side stand switch, as the side stand relay is of the normally closed type, which when energised by having the side stand down, cuts power to the Digiplex relay. This will at least move one item out of the intermittent engine stumbling / cutting out.

This may be boring to some of you, but, might be useful to someone.

I swapped the starter relay with the Digiplex relay, my train of thought being that as both relays are dated 1992, they are original. The Digiplex one is powered all the time the engine is running. The starter relay by comparison hasn’t been used as much.

I sprayed all the relay bases, fuse holders, and relay pins with contact cleaner.

Ridden it every day, so far, no bouncing rev counter, cutting out or stumbling.

Fingers crossed.

Funnily enough, the one that’s on permanently might be less damaged than the one used occasionally - the arcing damage on relay (or any other) contacts happens when the contacts open under load, and the amount of damage will depend on the current that’s flowing.

If in doubt, swap ‘em out. (And carry a spare)

Back
Top Bottom