Forgive me Twizzle, for I am about to sin ..

ChrisJF

Where does this bit go ?
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The saga of my new-to me 2017 Road Glide Ultra continues. Thanks everyone for all your advice and support:okay A week or so into my ownership and there's every indication that the Ultra will indeed be a keeper.:beerjug:

Bearing in mind Twizzle's Law about accessories in the first months of ownership, even though its early days for me there are some (needless to say expensive) additions scheduled. All down to personal choice to help me make the Ultra fit-for-my-purposes but, given that the Ultra is very heavy and I'm not getting any younger, in the great scheme of things they are ergonomic and safety improvements.

(1) Replacement control pedals. Longer gearshft and lowered foot-brake especially as I need to get used to the Ultra’s floor-boards in the process. The Twizzle-recommended Kuryakyn lowered footbrake pedal has arrived, as has an ARH longer brake pedal

(2) In all probability a better seat to position me back - ?Le Pera Daddy Long Legs?

(3) The reverse gear kit to make my life and especially my back easier all-round

(4) A stage 2 torque upgrade kit for better engine response

(5) A centre-stand, probably the Harley OEM although research into others is under way. I know ... but the ability to have the rear wheel off the ground WHEN punctures occur is always useful

And – unlike the R1200RT’s glorified rubber pads – the OEM Ultra twin rail saddlebag guards.

001.webp

“Bolt on style and protection. These Guard Rails surround and protect the lower portion of the bag and add a traditional look to your Touring bike. The thick-walled chrome-plated tubing and the elegant cast mounts clamp securely to the Original Equipment saddlebag guards for a seamless look.

• Chrome finish
• May be installed with or without Keystone accessory rear lighting
• Rails are pre-assembled to simplify installation
• Kit includes left and right rails and all required mounting hardware”

I'd check before expecting a centre stand to make wheel removal possible. Given the amount of shite covering the relevant areas of the bike, a rear wheel puncture normally means recovery; however front and rear crash bars do allow the behemoth to be rolled on its side for emergency repair, and you've already got those.

ps - Twizzles law is there for a reason.

I'd check before expecting a centre stand to make wheel removal possible. Given the amount of shite covering the relevant areas of the bike, a rear wheel puncture normally means recovery; however front and rear crash bars do allow the behemoth to be rolled on its side for emergency repair, and you've already got those.

ps - Twizzles law is there for a reason.

Indeed. That's why I'm researching center-stand options. As I understand it they all assume that standard rear shock absorbers are fitted although some have more scope for later adjustments/fitting than others. Also ground clearance issues :blast

Twizzles so big he doesn't need a centre stand , he could tuck the bike under his arm and change the rear tyre. :D

Le Pera Daddy Long Legs is brilliant.I’m on my second one as they brought out a tall version so I sold the standard DL.
The normal DLL sits you back 2 inches further than the OE HD seat but the DLL Tall also sits you 2 inches taller so it’s even better.

Standard DLL

d248b00c55f1e820d26de8dffa5add1a.jpg

Tall

c97008550f18326a26b40aef681159fb.jpg

Thanks, Arsey :beerjug:

Just out of curiosity where did you get yours? Bought "over there" or elsewhere?

i bought my last two Le Pera Seats (New) via ebay.com and used the ebay global shipping program - still worked out cheaper then buying in the UK.

Ergonomic adjustments are exempt from Twizzles Law - sadly performance upgrades must wait for the mandatory 6 months to pass ( otherwise only the new owner benefits) - Seats and levers can be sold and cost recouped as required !:D

Thanks for that link, Doc. Just spent £’s on a wish list… didn’t need that really :D:blast

By careful balancing of the budget - i.e. selling off my no longer needed RT accessories and then buying/ordering the Ultra's basics (tools, workshop manuals, eZCAN/Thinkware dashcam, pattern liner bags and Twizzle's Kuryakyn footbrake pedal) I'm more or less even.

At the moment. :aidan

A Le Pera 957 DLT seat is arriving from the USA in a week or so (eBay Global shipping works well) while the already-discussed saddlebag guard rails bling and the centre stand are on back-order from HD UK for late August (?) delivery have blown any pretence at keeping the spending controlled:green gri

Ciro's Bag Blade amber LED run/brake/indicator lights are nagging away at me as well.

Thanks Doc indeed :blast

By careful balancing of the budget - i.e. selling off my no longer needed RT accessories and then buying/ordering the Ultra's basics (tools, workshop manuals, eZCAN/Thinkware dashcam, pattern liner bags and Twizzle's Kuryakyn footbrake pedal) I'm more or less even.

At the moment. :aidan

A Le Pera 957 DLT seat is arriving from the USA in a week or so (eBay Global shipping works well) while the already-discussed saddlebag guard rails bling and the centre stand are on back-order from HD UK for late August (?) delivery have blown any pretence at keeping the spending controlled:green gri

Ciro's Bag Blade amber LED run/brake/indicator lights are nagging away at me as well.

Thanks Doc indeed :blast
:D
Funny that, I sold off all my BMW bits too, and I have about £1k of credit left. :D but I am trying to take my time to spend it. I am heading to Sycamore HD at Uppingham tomorrow and if they have the touring pegs n stock I may well do about £200 on a set. :blast:D

I am still trying to justify the spending of £500 on a big blue bike lift and wheel chock….. thnaks for the recommendation Doc… you are a gent :beerjug:

My mate is test riding a Fat Boy… I have warned him of the pending spending compulsion ;):D

:D
Funny that, I sold off all my BMW bits too, and I have about £1k of credit left. :D but I am trying to take my time to spend it. I am heading to Sycamore HD at Uppingham tomorrow and if they have the touring pegs n stock I may well do about £200 on a set. :blast:D

I am still trying to justify the spending of £500 on a big blue bike lift and wheel chock….. thnaks for the recommendation Doc… you are a gent :beerjug:

My mate is test riding a Fat Boy… I have warned him of the pending spending compulsion ;):D

You will also need one of these. Once bike is off the floor it will be easy for your partner to move around the bike when cleaning it.;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220722-193935_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220722-193935_Samsung Internet.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 211
You will also need one of these. Once bike is off the floor it will be easy for your partner to move around the bike when cleaning it.;)

Now that is a must… very nice. :beerjug:

Twizzle, is this genuinely worth it, how easy is it to get is off the ground and balanced etc… will have to find a YT vid for a good look at one. Seems good.

I guess it depends how high you want the bike…… it’s very sturdy, but… I only lift high enough to give clearance to remove both wheels, or spin them etc..

I could strip the bike down on one… when I rebuilt the sporty it sat on it for 12 weeks..

I guess it depends how high you want the bike…… it’s very sturdy, but… I only lift high enough to give clearance to remove both wheels, or spin them etc..

I could strip the bike down on one… when I rebuilt the sporty it sat on it for 12 weeks..

I would just need it to raise it up for basic maintenance and cleaning, so I guess for that price it would be worth a punt… cheers for the recommendation. :D

Wimping out here - as already volunteered I am not mechanically adept so I'll carry on using my local well-respected independents, so a lift of any sort wouldn't get used:blast.

Besides which, once the OEM chrome centre-stand is fitted I'm not sure that Twizzle's recommended jack or even the Big Blue would work:nenau.

Back on topic, the reverse gear, dash-cam and better brake pedal are being fitted next week and - depending on cost - I may have persuaded myself that a Stage 2 torque kit that will finally deplete my Christmas fund may join the party as well.

The centre-stand and the saddlebag protection rails are due in mid-August - not sure which year - although the Le Pera seat is being delivered on Tuesday :aidan

I've bimbled around the vicinity with Her Ladyship a few times now. Every indications are that she will be here for the foreseeable.

Thanks again everyone for your advice and encouragement:thumb2

Wimping out here - as already volunteered I am not mechanically adept so I'll carry on using my local well-respected independents, so a lift of any sort wouldn't get used:blast.

Besides which, once the OEM chrome centre-stand is fitted I'm not sure that Twizzle's recommended jack or even the Big Blue would work:nenau.

Back on topic, the reverse gear, dash-cam and better brake pedal are being fitted next week and - depending on cost - I may have persuaded myself that a Stage 2 torque kit that will finally deplete my Christmas fund may join the party as well.

The centre-stand and the saddlebag protection rails are due in mid-August - not sure which year - although the Le Pera seat is being delivered on Tuesday :aidan

I've bimbled around the vicinity with Her Ladyship a few times now. Every indications are that she will be here for the foreseeable.

Thanks again everyone for your advice and encouragement:thumb2

Who are you using for your parts etc? :nenau

Back
Top Bottom