if a route is originally written in OSM, can it be converted to the HERE format

the woodster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone else know if a route is originally written in OSM, can it be converted to the HERE format by simply selecting that from the menu? I have done this with a short test route and it does seem to perform some type of calculation but wonder what I would look for to establish if it had converted it?

I ask because one of my group uses Tom Tom and although re-writing the routes in the Tom Tom format wouldn't be that arduous, it would save a bit of time.

I don’t use TomTom but my honest guess is that MyRoute will recalculate a route and create a TomTom friendly version. I say this only in as much as I found that a route I created in HERE (which navigated me around a road closure automatically) recalculated and routed me through the same closure when I switched to TomTom routing.

There may be some differences (as there would be with my road closed routing example) so be prepared for the usual “My sat nav says we should…..” type comments. But you maybe get these anyway.

Have a play around. You can’t break it.

Thanks, Richard. I also suspect you can do it. There's a strict rule on the trips: never question the navigation unless you are prepared to lead!!

That is an excellent rule.

GPX exchanges from one device to another are often very good but are not always perfect, often amended by the differences in personal settings between one device and another. Mix in a change of make and all sorts of things might happen. Then add in user error……

One possible way to avoid changes is to share tracks, as opposed to routes. Then ask the recipient to convert the track into a route, either within their device itself (if their device permits it) or at home on their pc. The downside is that that tracks cannot carry any specific waypoints, so would lose say, a restaurant or cafe you all want to stop at.

Having spent nine days in The Picos and Aragon recently, I can confirm that routes written in OSM can just be converted to HERE and Tom Tom by just selecting the format you want and clicking the button.

The routes ran faultlessly on both Garmin and Tom Tom devices and my old Nav 5 saved the day on a couple of occasions when rain stopped play on my Samsung S8 running the MRA Navigation app. I thought the phone was supposed to be waterproof but it would appear that doesn't apply to the charger/phone interface. It was pissing down heavily on a few occasions for the first couple of days and the 'I am very wet - stop using me' message came up on the phone screen. It dried out on each occasion but I eventually just used the Nav 5 with the routes loaded. Up until that point and on subsequent uses, I also found no deviations between the route running on the Nav 5 and the MRA Navigation app.

I can also confirm that we all downloaded tracks and converted them into a trip and then ran the 'track' version in Trip Planner.

All in all, a good experience with MRA on its maiden voyage with my biking buddies.

I have noticed that if you create a route (not a track) in say, Here, in My Route and then switch the map to say, TomTom, the route may well alter in some sections.

Great that your jaunt went well and that you were not lead astray by your routes.

Back
Top Bottom