GSA WHIZZ WHEEL

Pukmeister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Gents, what functionality does the "whizz wheel" give you with the Nav6 ? Is it a deal breaker ??

My bike came with Nav prep but I've been advised by a parts guy to avoid buying a Nav6, and fit a ZumoXT instead. He says they are cheaper, better and way more reliable. My current Zumo660 is doing the job and fits in the BMW cradle but is showing its age, I'd like a bigger brighter screen and bluetooth/wifi data sharing.

If I go Zumo I may buy a mount adapter or just remove the BMW mount and fit the bike-powered Zumo mount on the Nav mounting bar.

Never having used a Nav unit with a handlebar control, I don't know what I'm missing.

1. The wheel works well to zoom in and out, flip through the pages, mark locations and all sorts of other things. It’s really very good.

2. I (a big Garmin fan) wouldn’t now go near a Nav VI. I sent mine back to BMW and (eventually, after holding my ground) received a full refund.

3. The Nav V, a very good device, will work just as well with the wheel.

4. The XT is a very good device, too. But, it won’t work with the wheel.

The wheel’s controllability is, for me, definitely a deal breaker. It’s just so easy, once you’ve got your head around it.

I use it with a Nav 5 though, not used a 6 at all.

How do you find the Nav V screen?
I'm getting pretty myopic in my old age so I need a clear image on a bright screen....time for varifocals I think. :rob

If I can pick up an old Nav V for sale it might be a good compromise, I understand they don't have the issues that the Nav 6 has.

The Nav 5 screen is ok for me, and having the speedo in a larger font than the OEM dash is far better too.

I switched from a Nav 6 to a Zumo XT about a year ago and just fitted the XT mount to the nav bar in place of the BMW mount. I've done a few thousand miles on the GS with the XT and don't miss the wheel at all. The XT has been rock solid and is much better than the Nav 6 imo.

In terms of screen legibility 5 to 6

The 6 has far better brightness compared to the 5, so in daylight its very easy to see.

That said, both benefit from having a sun shade fitted, as if you have the sun behind you it can make the screen tricky to see ( the 6 being brighter has an advantage)

The 6 also allows you to play music from your mobile, as apposed to only playing from the nav unit , So if you run spotty on your phone :)

not sure how it works with the TFT though as i only have the old type kombi

The screen for me on the 6 was worth the price increase over a 5

That said, I only have my 6 as a backup, my nav option is the Galaxy tab active 2

I can run Waze, Copilot, or tom tom as i want and have spotty running with the Wunderlinq dash in split screen mode

I have TFT on my bike so both the music/phone integration and a large speedo are already sorted.

I think I will get a Zumo XT as it gets positive reviews and anecdotal feedback from users plus its warranted with Garmin in Southampton if it all goes tits up after updates etc. The whizz wheel functionality would be nice but I wont miss what I've never had.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom