Garmin UK v Garmin US

Deleted account 221212001

Reaction score
Not everyone will have experienced the incompetence of Garmin UK, (damn I've given the game away), but if you have had cause to contact Garmin, how did you get on?

I've been attempting for approximately 2 weeks to have an issue resolved with the mapping software on my Montana 700i which set me back the princely sum of £800+. Simply the mapping on it will not locate postcodes, which to me is a rather fundamental part of owning a satnav!

I know there are other means to locate addresses, coordinates, what3words, street names etc but a postcode is surely an expectation. Garmin have confirmed they are aware of the mapping bug and that it only affects some of the maps but don't seem too concerned over it and have provided a solution by saying if you wish to perform a postcode search, take out the map card and then the pre-installed maps will work. (There's a conflict in the various maps provided on the device).

I rang Garmin UK this morning to cancel the Inreach system and get a refund for a recent invoice, they insisted I had to call Garmin US which I did this afternoon and within 5 minutes they had reviewed the invoice, reimbursed me and the job was sorted.

Why can't Garmin UK be as efficient with the mapping issue?

Not everyone will have experienced the incompetence of Garmin UK, (damn I've given the game away), but if you have had cause to contact Garmin, how did you get on?

I've been attempting for approximately 2 weeks to have an issue resolved with the mapping software on my Montana 700i which set me back the princely sum of £800+. Simply the mapping on it will not locate postcodes, which to me is a rather fundamental part of owning a satnav!

I know there are other means to locate addresses, coordinates, what3words, street names etc but a postcode is surely an expectation. Garmin have confirmed they are aware of the mapping bug and that it only affects some of the maps but don't seem too concerned over it and have provided a solution by saying if you wish to perform a postcode search, take out the map card and then the pre-installed maps will work. (There's a conflict in the various maps provided on the device).

I rang Garmin UK this morning to cancel the Inreach system and get a refund for a recent invoice, they insisted I had to call Garmin US which I did this afternoon and within 5 minutes they had reviewed the invoice, reimbursed me and the job was sorted.

Why can't Garmin UK be as efficient with the mapping issue?

With the Montana, you have to set up different profiles and then select/attach those maps to that activity

So, with CN preinstalled (and now UK postcode searching has now been enabled, by Garmin).............Set up an 'Automotive' profile, which uses only CN mapping (all other OS and Topo maps have been deselected from this profile) and added the Nuvi dashborad screen effect to that profile, so works just like any other Nuvi type Garmin set up

With the Montana, you have to set up different profiles and then select/attach those maps to that activity

So, with CN preinstalled (and now UK postcode searching has now been enabled, by Garmin).............Set up an 'Automotive' profile, which uses only CN mapping (all other OS and Topo maps have been deselected from this profile) and added the Nuvi dashborad screen effect to that profile, so works just like any other Nuvi type Garmin set up

Yes I'm using the Montana in an automotive profile and using CN with that profile. Without the map card installed I can do postcode searches, with the map card installed postcode searches produce an error message. I'm using the TOPO GB V2 Pro 1:50th mapping software. Both GPS Training where I purchased the device from and Garmin UK have confirmed that there is a conflict in the software for the user if, with the mapping card installed the user wishes to perform a postcode search. However with the 1:25th mapping software the fault does not present itself according to GPS Training. They know because they have tested both versions on various devices. The conflict arises with the various mapping software present in the device i.e. TOPO Active Europe (east), TOPO Active (west), CN east & CN west and the TOPO BG V2 Pro mapping on the card.

Yes I'm using the Montana in an automotive profile and using CN with that profile. Without the map card installed I can do postcode searches, with the map card installed postcode searches produce an error message. I'm using the TOPO GB V2 Pro 1:50th mapping software. Both GPS Training where I purchased the device from and Garmin UK have confirmed that there is a conflict in the software for the user if, with the mapping card installed the user wishes to perform a postcode search. However with the 1:25th mapping software the fault does not present itself according to GPS Training. They know because they have tested both versions on various devices. The conflict arises with the various mapping software present in the device i.e. TOPO Active Europe (east), TOPO Active (west), CN east & CN west and the TOPO BG V2 Pro mapping on the card.

Try asking on GPSrchive forum then, they list the faults

Love Garmin UK, does help that their European HQ is 7 miles down the road from my house. Last time (a while ago I admit) I had an issue, the unit I had at the time would constantly get to 64% of the latest update and then spit it out saying there wasn’t enough space to accommodate it, I popped into their HQ, they made me a coffee and disappeared for 15 minutes, they admitted that there wasn’t enough room on the unit so they had to delete some of my songs!

Back
Top Bottom