No fancy headlights for 1250's from now.

GrinningGSer

Infamous old git
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am told , by my local dealer, that no fancy headlights available , so bikes are being supplied with Halogen headlights and a voucher. :jager

Spoke to Marshalls in Grimsby yesterday they don’t even know if it will be possible to retro fit the new type lights when the parts are available.
So you may end up stuck with a halogen headlight.

........Coming soon to eBay, yet more (stolen) used LED headlights from a Lithuanian bike breakers. Keep 'em chained up folks !

From the Uk Motorrad site.

Due to the on-going semiconductor supply situation, we are currently unable to offer you this model with LED headlights. Instead, we will temporarily deliver the bike with our tried-and-tested halogen headlights. As soon as the supply situation has eased, we will be able to convert your motorcycle to LED headlights at your dealership as part of a retrofit option. We apologise for any inconvenience and are happy to answer any further questions you may have.

All the electronic parts i buy for work are now being quoted with a 45 week delivery time !!
Its not getting any better.

All the electronic parts i buy for work are now being quoted with a 45 week delivery time !!
Its not getting any better.

Some very canny OEM's have made a lot of money out of this,

Some of the shortage is down to the situation in Ukraine, some down to the stock being no longer available , a situation that OEM's were warned of over 2 years ago,

Chip manufacturers have applied the 6 month life cycle ( high end processors / GPU's etc) to all components, so the age of the 30 year chip has ended. and there no longer in production

Without typing loads as to what how and why, lets just say you dont just design code & manufacture chips overnight.. as they are finding out..

I did hear that some oem's are talking about building there own chip plants, as the situation is that bad.

Yep I heard the same about the headlight as well, I also was informed the 1300 is on hold for approximately 2 years don’t know weather that’s true or not .

Some very canny OEM's have made a lot of money out of this,

Some of the shortage is down to the situation in Ukraine, some down to the stock being no longer available , a situation that OEM's were warned of over 2 years ago,

Chip manufacturers have applied the 6 month life cycle ( high end processors / GPU's etc) to all components, so the age of the 30 year chip has ended. and there no longer in production

Without typing loads as to what how and why, lets just say you dont just design code & manufacture chips overnight.. as they are finding out..

I did hear that some oem's are talking about building there own chip plants, as the situation is that bad.

I worked as a trainer in a Chip factory ( semiconductor wafers) . The barriers to entry are not insubstantial. An implanter and all the layering kit can be in the billions. Then there are the people, I have never met so many uber bright people. Even when I left them I couldnt get my mind around there being upto 1700 chips on a wafer the size of a DVD which were cut with a bandsaw under water!

I was told the same in Alan Jefferies Rotherham on Saturday. All bikes shipping with halogen and £600 retrofit when they are available. They haven't reduced the price of the bike I noticed, bit cheeky really. I still bought one though :beerjug:

Hello everyone
In addition to the headlight issues, I’ll also been informed the GS 1300 is on hold for about 2 years , as anyone else heard similar?

Hello everyone
In addition to the headlight issues, I’ll also been informed the GS 1300 is on hold for about 2 years , as anyone else heard similar?

I never even realised that they had announced it with a release date.
Are the BMW factory now sharing all of their future plans with UK dealers to spread around 3rd hand?

I was told the same in Alan Jefferies Rotherham on Saturday. All bikes shipping with halogen and £600 retrofit when they are available. They haven't reduced the price of the bike I noticed, bit cheeky really. I still bought one though :beerjug:

I was told there was a £500 discount and the retrofit was free - you need to change your dealer.

Think the £500 is actually for the retrofit once the headlights are available.
So you are advised to save it

Just look on Motoraad's website lol

The bikes will come with a halogen headlight, and a voucher to have the LED unit fitted when it comes back into stock

No mention of cash sums lol

Obviously the situation is more dire than the suspension shortage from a year or two ago when the factory flooded. BMW toyed with the idea of delivering bikes with manual suspension offering retrofits when available. The kick back from the dealers was enough to poopoo that.
I would not be that desperate to take delivery of a £20k bike with 100 year old technology (semi) illuminating the way

I looked at converting my last GSA a 2018 model from halogen to led headlight and was told by BMW UK technical that it was not possible as the switchgear, wiring loom and ecu ? were all different

Back
Top Bottom