Bennett’s insurance. Advice needed, to make a claim for probable write off.

Martin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My son collided with a deer last night. Deer killed, son went over the handlebars, bike slid up the road. Luckily, my son is ok, apart from bruising. The bike was recovered back to his house in the early hours of this morning. It’s a 2008 Triumph Street Triple. He has fully comprehensive insurance through Bennett’s.
He is struggling to get his claim sorted.
They seem to be saying that bike recovery is not covered. There is also a question mark over paying out for helmet/clothing etc. They seem very reluctant to arrange for an insurance assessor to come and view the bike, and are basically being totally unhelpful.
Are Bennett’s usually difficult to deal with? Any advice that I could pass on to my son to help him get sorted?
Thanks..

The bike recovery and the clothing will depend on the wording of the policy. What does it say?
Might also be worth checking to see if he’s entitled to a loan vehicle.
I’ve found the constantly mounting cost of a loaner is a great motivator for insurance companies to get their finger out.
However, If it only happened last night then you can’t really accuse them of dragging their heels.

The bike recovery and the clothing will depend on the wording of the policy. What does it say?
Might also be worth checking to see if he’s entitled to a loan vehicle.
I’ve found the constantly mounting cost of a loaner is a great motivator for insurance companies to get their finger out.
However, If it only happened last night then you can’t really accuse them of dragging their heels.

You sign for liability of payment on a loaned motorcycle - until a claim is settled and the insurance company agrees to pay.

The cover is usually only for the Motorcycle unless he added on gear protection, or it is included in his Policy as standard. Bike recovery (after an accident) is also usually an extra/not included in standard Motorcycle recovery policies.

Sometimes sending in pictures showing the state a bike is in negates the need for an assessor to come out, if you can see big ticket items are damaged which outweigh the cost of repair/value of the asset why send someone out?

Ask them for their service level agreement time frame of handling the claim from department to department, and hold them to account. Respond to any request for information as quick as you can to enable them to process things.

My Brother's Motorcycle was stolen from outside a Hotel 200 miles from Home. His underwriter/insurer asked for a picture to prove he has a Garage......

Who is the underwriter? Bennetts is just a broker and the contract is with the underwriter so there is no reason he cannot deal direct with the underwriter.

Last night? You need to let the dust settle before jumping to any clusions. JJH

After what he’s red, it’ll cervus right if he gets us lined up in a roe and shot.

Looks like it’s all getting sorted. The insurance company have now arranged for the bike to be collected from his house next Monday, and have also confirmed that the replacement cost of helmet, jacket and boots is covered by his policy.
He suffered a fractured vertebrae, and extensive bruising. He got off lightly.
What they haven’t done, is apologise for leaving him stuck at the roadside for three and a half hours awaiting recovery. Apparently they agreed to arrange recovery, the recovery firm rang him and said they’d be there in 30 minutes, and an hour later when he rung them to see where they were, was told that the job had been cancelled! After several more calls to Bennett’s, they agreed to recover the bike, but warned him that it would be at his cost, despite him having fully comprehensive insurance. They have since advised that he will not be charged. Do firms not apologise for their cock ups any more?

I’ve had a bad experience with an insurance company a few years ago. It got sorted 100% in my favour after a lot of hassle. Apologies? Not a chance. JJH

I was with Bennetts from the days when they had a little shop in Ironmonger Row.
After 20 odd years claim free, I took it a bit personally when they doubled my policy because I agreed to put it on auto renew.
So I switched to BMW whom after a couple of years decided to send my renewal on Dec 22nd, take the money on the 24th ... even though the renewal wasn't due 'till Jan 8th.

For the last 8 or so years I have been with Carole Nash - Just money flowing one direction you understand.

Anyhow, wasn't too impressed with the £900 excess on top of the increased quote, so went on Go Compare.

Not the cheapest, but best value was Bennetts, so reluctantly pressed "buy now".

First question asked for previous bike details and how long owned as this could earn a discount.
I entered R1200GS TE owned for 90 claim free months. I pressed submit and BANG the premium went up by £70.
Fact is I could have owned my Honda SS50 since 1983, and they would still have stung me for more.
Simply a way of jumping up the list on compare sites to get your interest.

Bennett's are total wankers of the highest calibre.

Now insured with One Call which was actually cheaper anyway, with the same benefits.

I know wapping will chime in with "Bikermate want's to insure his mighty steed for 10 bob....."

But the simple fact is Insurance practices are nothing but grubby and desperate.

I've said it before... Self regulated Mafia...

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

Bennetts is now part of the Lucida Group, who own various brands such as Right Choice and the well regarded Autoaid

Amusing that the Chief Finance Officer is called Mr Mugge

know wapping will chime in with "Bikermate want's to insure his mighty steed for 10 bob....."

Private Motor insurance is the Wild West of a supposedly heavily regulated industry. If I (who deals only with industrial reinsurance on multi-national enterprises) tried half of the highly dubious things these showers get up to, I’d be lobbed out of the Brownies pronto and fined pretty heavily in the process. That I’d lose my job, would be inevitable and certain.

Leaving that aside, I can only assume that it’s the compulsory nature of Motor insurance (one of the very few compulsions in life) that makes it so unpopular and perceived as a rip-off. We don’t see the same endless moans about Home insurance, which is just as badly sold. That being said, when correspondents to this site won’t (or can’t) understand the difference between a broker (intermediary) and an insurance company, then they all probably deserve each other.

Private Motor insurance is the Wild West of a supposedly heavily regulated industry. If I (who deals only with industrial reinsurance on multi-national enterprises) tried half of the highly dubious things these showers get up to, I’d be lobbed out of the Brownies pronto and fined pretty heavily in the process. That I’d lose my job, would be inevitable and certain.

Leaving that aside, I can only assume that it’s the compulsory nature of Motor insurance (one of the very few compulsions in life) that makes it so unpopular and perceived as a rip-off. We don’t see the same endless moans about Home insurance, which is just as badly sold. That being said, when correspondents to this site won’t (or can’t) understand the difference between a broker (intermediary) and an insurance company, then they all probably deserve each other.

I firmly lay the blame on brokers, and not the underwriter or insurance company.

Most people's dislike of Insurance Brokers has grown as a result of total disregard for loyalty and honesty.
New business trumps 20 claim free years ... drop yer guard, and they'll hit you!

Back
Top Bottom