Sidestand issues

Ian Duncan

Reaction score
Hi folks.
The sidestand on my F850GS makes the bike stand really upright. When I use it I always try the usual trick of setting it into the camber dip if there is one.
I have the bike suspension set at one passenger + luggage as this seems to be the only setting that lets me get the sidestand down without getting stuck on the road.

This has the disadvantage of making the bike quite tall to move around, whereas the road setting lets me get both feet down flat.
I have contacted a couple of suppliers to see if there is a shorter stand available, but without success. I have seen a curved replacement on you tube but this appears to be in USA.
I don’t want to go down the route of a universal one and would rather stick to BMW or recommended unit.
Does anyone on here have any knowledge of a UK supplier of shorter ones or have a sure fire remedy for the issue?
TIA

Think it’s usually the opposite with the f850, they lean over a good bit.
Is the bike lowered?

I would be agreeing with R800 the bike leans over more that you might expect.

If you bought the bike secondhand maybe the sidestand isn't original. Just thinking out loud.

Ya maybe someone thought it was leaning over too much and out on an aftermarket one, possible.

as standard they don’t normally stand up too straight

I believe that the early 850's did indeed have an issue with the sidestand being too long and that this was modified by BMW.

Brother in laws early 850 was the same, we took an inch out of the bottom and rewelded on the foot then repainted it, basically what BMW did .

Modified earlier stand vs unmodified made the bike lean at a more sensible angle . With the original and even empty panniers it was vertical

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 178
Thanks for the pics. I’ll have a wee visit to a local fabricator and get a modification done. I’d heard that this was the way to go and just needed to see it in the metal, so to speak.

If your bike is an early one get in touch with BMW , I am sure at one stage they were supplying the later shorter stand FOC, we shortened a used stand because the local supplying dealer was useless

If your bike is an early one get in touch with BMW , I am sure at one stage they were supplying the later shorter stand FOC, we shortened a used stand because the local supplying dealer was useless

Good advice :okay

Thanks again. I’ll get in touch.

Back
Top Bottom