Wild camping in Scotland

transalper44

Reaction score
Hi. Was informed it's illegal to wild camp if you arrive by motorised transport ie: motorcycle or car, only cyclists and walkers legally allowed ? It's not April 1st, I checked haha.

Over the years I’ve camped a lot in the west of Scotland & the Cairngorms. If you can arrive by motorised transport it’s unlikely to be classed as ‘wild’ imo. Of course there are many BOATS that would mean you could access the wild places on a off road motorbike but imo it takes the ‘wild’ out of the experience.
Just my twopeneth…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s ok to arrive by motorised transport but the ‘wild’ part of the wild camping requires (if you wish to be compliant with the legislation (Land Reform Act and accompanying Scottish Outdoor Access Code)) that you hike some worthwhile distance before setting up camp. Anything else would be deemed illegal, unless, of course, you have the land owner’s permission.

Over the years I’ve camped a lot in the west of Scotland & the Cairngorms. If you can arrive by motorised transport it’s unlikely to be classed as ‘wild’ imo. Of course there are many BOATS that would mean you could access the wild places on a off road motorbike but imo it takes the ‘wild’ out of the experience.
Just my twopeneth…

There are no BOATs, RUPPs or Green Lanes of any kind in Scotland. There's pretty much nowhere that you can operate a motorised vehicle off metalled roads, except private land with the express permission of the landowner.

I think a lot of people go to Scotland with this "Wild camping" notion, and think it will be easier than it is.

reality is that most roads have un-crossable trenches or fences next to them.
finding somewhere you can pull your bike off road, and ride a fair bit to an out of sight spot is near impossible.

of course there are the "couldn't give a shit brigade" who don't care and will even pitch their tent at the side of the road!
if your one of those, you will be ok.

personally, i always use camp sites, there are plenty of them and usually there are other like minded bikers to chat too.
oh and proper toilets :)

As has been said the rules re motorised vehicles apply to ‘right of access’. So long as you leave your vehicle on the road and walk/cycle/canoe the last bit you can camp most places (within reason) I.e. no gardens or fields with crops/animals… common sense stuff.
If you’re not used to wild camping then please do a bit of research especially about campfires and properly burying your poo.

I often wild camp when hiking. If on the bike, as said above, I tend to use campsites.
For the facilities you get they’re very reasonably priced, close to a pub, and you get to meet other bikers.

If there are no proper campsites nearby, there are plenty of places in the more remote areas where you can wild camp and which have open access from the nearest road. Do a bit of research using OS maps and/or Google street maps before you go. Just be sensible in accessing the location and, of course, leave nothing behind. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom