Connect app

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Richard, How do you rate the connected app for navigation duties ?

On the 2022 K1600 GT

Used in conjunction with MyRoute for planning bespoke routes it is very good. It has some oddities (they all do) but once you get used to them it’s fine.

It will run routes where the route line crosses with itself (say a figure of eight) but you don’t always get an arrow showing which of the two to take. It might, depending on the road layout, be tricky to know what ‘straight ahead’ means exactly.

It might be easy to muddle the two choices up. It therefore helps to look at the routing instructions (easy on a big screen) or zoom in or out a bit (easy with the wheel) to see which way to go.

Here’s a picture:

119acc1697ae71c641fbca979e9380d1.jpg

411bcc9e35b5f5dcbab0448f29a60248.jpg

I actually knew the way. But, had I been abroad and had to be in say specific lanes at what looks like a T or Y-junction it might throw me a bit.

The voice instructions are good but it had a strange oddity. I went eastwards on the A13 from London, to join the M25 anti-clockwise to ride around to the A12 to get to Chelmsford. On the A13 the voice instruction said to take the M11 at the junction. This might throw you a bit, until you twig that the voice means….. leave the A13, join the M25 in the direction of the M11.

You also get voice instructions to join a motorway, as you hoon down the slip road. I can only guess it doesn’t want you to turn around!

Just as an experiment (good as I am using the beta version of what will become the updated app) I asked it to create a route home in central London, knowing that there is an overnight road closure on the most logical route in. It routed me around the closure, really neatly, all without me doing anything.

So, do you recommend my route app then. The reason I ask is I’m going to try a paid for app so I have the ability to plan routes then drop them onto the wing.

The BMW Connected app is designed to work with BMW bikes. I have no idea if or how it would work integrated (I guess) into a Honda’s TFT screen.

If though you want to run it on your phone, mounted somehow on your Pan, I guess it woukd work. But, if you are doing that, you might as well use the MyRoute or Google MyMaps, I guess?

The BMW Connected app is designed to work with BMW bikes. I have no idea if of how it would work integrated (I guess) into a Honda’s TFT screen.

If though you want to run it on your phone, mounted somehow on your Pan, I guess it woukd work. But, if you are doing that, yiu might as well use the MyRoute or Google MyMaps, I guess?

Sorry maybe I should explain.
I’m going to use a paid for app on my iPad, then use a usb dongle to down load the gps file onto the Goldwing.

Sorry maybe I should explain.
I’m going to use a paid for app on my iPad, then use a usb dongle to down load the gps file onto the Goldwing.

Hi Stever1

Please keep us other Wingers updated on your progress with that (maybe on the Honda section?) as i have given up on Honda's nav system but would love to be able to get it to work easily. (I have a Garmin XT on board as i find it much easier to use, if not using Googlemaps on Apple carplay

Hi Stever1

Please keep us other Wingers updated on your progress with that (maybe on the Honda section?) as i have given up on Honda's nav system but would love to be able to get it to work easily. (I have a Garmin XT on board as i find it much easier to use, if not using Googlemaps on Apple carplay

I know you can download routes via the usb socket in the topbox. Now I have to set up a system on my iPad so I can plan routes. Then drop them onto a pen drive to transfer.

Moved, as bods with Hondas might well not go looking in the 1600 section for information on BMW Connect, MyRoute and the like.

:beerjug:

Richard

Back
Top Bottom