Euro Tunnel or Dover ferry

Strangely enough the French are blaming problems with the tunnel delaying a staff change from night levels of staffing to day levels.

Eurotunnel say yes, there was a problem but that’s not the reason for delays at Dover.

UKGSer say it’s all down to the French.

I know which one the EU hating tabloid press will be peddling so most on here will never know any different :blast[/Q

[I'm a tunnel guy!!!![/I]

I like the tunnel if I’m going to France but unless I’m going south I’d sooner travel via Holland.

I like the tunnel if I’m going to France but unless I’m going south I’d sooner travel via Holland.

smaller ports with fewer ships and therefore fewer passengers to process is the way to go

I took me half the time to get from Newhaven to Dieppe than it took some to get to Calais today. In September, I am going from Plymouth. Both ports had just the one ship to process and all traffic can fit inside the port to queue. I assume Harwich is similar.

I’ve had too many shit trips using the Tunnel for me to remember but they always pony up when it’s been their fault and though I swear more than the wife when it’s going badly I’ll still go back.

There is another Ferry - Harwich to Hook of Holland. Overnight or day crossing. Takes a bit longer but you're just as fast into the Eifel from there as from Calais. If you want a route from there to the Eifel can send you one. About 1 & 1/2 hours from Ferry to Roermond which is the border with Germany. Only thing is its a lot more expensive that the tunnel....

did normandy last week

went via newhaven - was quite busy but the exit from dieppe was a pain in the arse 40 mins to get to the booth for cursory check

did tunnel on way back (via ypres) and was busy got there early enuff to get on earlier but they were coming down the line to advise hour behind for the trains but turned out it left 10 mins late - had bigger problem at dartford that it was closed northbound so headed west then up m40 - this was tuesday

this was at 2230

car was 170 one way - bike woulda been 80 ish - bike not in the height of summer can be less than 40

i dont travel down that way at this time of year much

did tunnel two weeks ago to head to germany and no issues - woulda done harwich but had to be in cologne for 10am (left here 9pm previous evening)

newhaven was 100 euros for the car

not used a dover ferry for at least 15 years tunnel saves an hour and cos it spits you straight onto the motorway its all good

Stayed in Calais town centre 10-12 years ago, while on a bike trip, no bother and a good night out in the town. Stayed 3 years ago, on the way to Austria in the car. I was lucky but there were a number of cars broken into in the car park.

Things won’t change for the better until something is done to improve the conditions for those seeking a better life. Govt’s seem intent on making life more difficult for asylum seekers rather than helping them.

What you are saying is not correct. Majority are not asylum seekers. They are economic migrants who destroy their paperwork and mobile phone. Majority are single men of fighting age. Research and you will find the average cost in a dinghy ride costs up to 5k euros. So far we are on track for a record year - some 15000 here this year already and that is what recorded not the true figure. Also the inept home office only manage to fingerprint 50% so the alot do disappear.

ISIS openly stated that so called freedom fighters (terrorists) will use this route to gain entry to the UK.

These are facts - folks need to do their own research, think you will be surprised at the shit we are importing.

For the record - i have no issue with genuine asylum applications or the safety net we provide to countries such as Ukraine. In fact if we took a hard line on these dinghy divers and actually deported them the UK would have further capacity to assist the genuine.

There is another Ferry - Harwich to Hook of Holland. Overnight or day crossing. Takes a bit longer but you're just as fast into the Eifel from there as from Calais. If you want a route from there to the Eifel can send you one. About 1 & 1/2 hours from Ferry to Roermond which is the border with Germany. Only thing is its a lot more expensive that the tunnel....

Harwich to the Hook is probably my favourite crossing and was particularly good when I lived in Cambridgeshire. I used to get on the ferry, change out of bike kit then straight into the bar/restaurant where I’d buy a 2l jug of beer, have a meal then be in my cabin asleep before we even left harbour with the only exception being when a group of us used to go to the Elefant Rally.

Even travelling from Lancashire I’m using it to go to Gedinne for the classic races next month.

if i use the channel tunnel which can take around 3 hours on average in travel time, i stay within 20 mins of the tunnel the night before and catch the 7am train to france.
Folkestone is a shit hole. Hythe is a little nicer.
You are refreshed and have a whole day to make progress

Three hours ain’t too bad, having in mind it can take me an hour and half from central London, with relatively easy access to the Blackwall Tunnel or the QE2 crossing.

If you can bring your departure time from home forward, you coukd try crossing over to France the same day. This will save you at least an hour the next day (time difference) and mean you not getting up too early.

if i use the channel tunnel which can take around 3 hours on average in travel time, i stay within 20 mins of the tunnel the night before and catch the 7am train to france.

I've always thought that to be a terrible waste of a "first day abroad".....and instead, although it makes for a long "first travelling from home day", I've crossed over to France on the same day....usually about 7pm, so I don't feel "against the clock" to make the ferry or train.
It just seems better and far more enjoyable to wake up in France on the first proper and full day of my holiday.

I left Newcastle at 02:00 (the 360 miles to folkstone is awful through the day) and ended up in Dijon last year using the Tunnel. Big day and big miles but no traffic - KTM 890 Adventure :thumb2

Tunnel for me every time if going to France.

When we lived closer we used to leave home at about 6pm, catch a 9pm train then stop in a hotel at Coquelles and have a couple of beers before setting off at 9am local time the next morning. To be riding away from Calais at 9am we’d have to be in a hotel close to the Tunnel then up at 5am UK time which makes for a very long day.

Now we’d need to take the full day off work we’d aim to leave home before 10am, get a 4pm train then do some miles before stopping after a couple of hours but unless I’m heading south I’d still choose an overnight ferry over the tunnel.

I've always thought that to be a terrible waste of a "first day abroad".....and instead, although it makes for a long "first travelling from home day", I've crossed over to France on the same day....usually about 7pm, so I don't feel "against the clock" to make the ferry or train.
It just seems better and far more enjoyable to wake up in France on the first proper and full day of my holiday.
It can be. But if I finish work at 4pm and get straight off I can be there for 7.30pm. No day really wasted as my 1st day is the day I cross onto France.
Each to there own

It can be. But if I finish work at 4pm and get straight off I can be there for 7.30pm. No day really wasted as my 1st day is the day I cross onto France.
Each to there own

As you say, each to their own, but I don't see why you'd use up a chunk of your 1st day with the crossing when you could cross the evening before, with even less travel time than I'd have.
Just curious.

As you say, each to their own, but I don't see why you'd use up a chunk of your 1st day with the crossing when you could cross the evening before, with even less travel time than I'd have.
Just curious.

Because it is not my 1st day, it is day 0 and is an extension of a normal working day. if you are not working then yes make sense. I prefer to have a full fresh 1st day starting a 7am via Dover.

Each to their own :D

I'm thinking about a little jaunt to Adenau, Eifel region in September and although I have always gone by the ferry from Hull, I'm contemplating riding down Sarf, and seeing that it's donkey years since I've gone this way, I was wondering which crossing people prefer, I know the fastest is the 'Chunnel' but some must like the ferry or it would go out of business, is it cheaper or what?
Any tips on best time and how to get the best ticket prices would be much appreciated
Also ; A quick glance at Google maps says it's 260ish miles and 4.5 hrs, anybody have a truer estimate of ride time from West Yorkshire.

I do that trip 2 or 3 times a year, Dover - Dunkirk every time, by the time you take in the extra time to drive to Calais or from, the trip is virtually the same time wise, you get a good rest and its easy to get in and out of Dunkirk.
Always the same route normally, Dunkirk - Bruges - Ghent - Brussels - Leuven - Liege

Back
Top Bottom