All the gear... no idea

Maybe a bit late, but that's what you get for asking at such short notice, 2 short tours and a couple of other routes:

https://www.myrouteapp.com/profile/routes/485#858527/name/asc

With any more than 5 days I would be thinking of adding more, further East into the German Eifel would work, or even a few days in the Black Forest, with 10 days I would probably find time to hop across to the Vosges after the Black Forest - but having ridden all these areas before I would not be doing so much sight seeing.

If you've not ridden abroad my little nugget is to try and fill up at a garage on your side of the road ie riding on the right fill up at a garage on the right.

All too often serious and fatal road accident occur (also with Johnny Foreigner over here) when setting off from a filling station on to the wrong side of the road. Take it easy, take your time.

Enjoy :thumb

:beerjug:

If you've not ridden abroad my little nugget is to try and fill up at a garage on your side of the road ie riding on the right fill up at a garage on the right.

All too often serious and fatal road accident occur (also with Johnny Foreigner over here) when setting off from a filling station on to the wrong side of the road. Take it easy, take your time.

Always do this, including cafes, etc.

For a while I was riding / driving many many more miles on the Continent than I was here in the UK. I often had to pause and remember to drive on the left when back at home.

Always do this, including cafes, etc.

On one of my Wanders, one of the punters left lunch to get some fuel, whilst we waited. He set off at high speed, riding on the left, despite our shouts. He received a very quick reminder when a lorry came towards him….. when we were treated to a masterful display of counter steering and (no doubt) the unseen filling of his underpants. The lorry never slowed.

For a while I was riding / driving many many more miles on the Continent than I was here in the UK. I often had to pause and remember to drive on the left when back at home.

Ha ha .... me too :thumb2

Hadn't been home very long on one occasion, set off from Rotherham Main Street Police Station on the works K1100RT and turned right and rode along on the wrong side of the road. Until a car came off the roundabout and straight at me :blast

Ha ha .... me too :thumb2

Hadn't been home very long on one occasion, set off from Rotherham Main Street Police Station on the works K1100RT and turned right and rode along on the wrong side of the road. Until a car came off the roundabout and straight at me :blast

Hahaha…. A fine example to set. Easily done though. What’s the saying….. a moment’s lack of concentration….. a lifetime of regret. We’ve all done it and (touch wood) lived to tell the tale.

Straight down to the Alps! :thumb2
Go have a play over a load of passes. Stunning place. :thumb2

Alight so far I have:

Calais
Dunkirk
Lille
Mons (do the 5 days in Wallonia tour)
Trier and Eifel on the loop back to Mons.

Does that seem comfortable for a newbie? I'm not too fussed about the 'ring' tbh, more into nature and scenery.
I downloaded those Apps you suggested. So you reckon it's best to book these camp sites before I go or like a day in advance?

Cheers!

That sort of milage shouldn't trouble yer ring;:D
Have a good un;:beerjug:

Yes I have done the same both on a motorcycle and in a car. I have got in the habit of sticking red arrows, cut from an electrical insulating roll, onto the rear view mirrors and speedo, fairing screen. When I return to the UK I tease them off and reverse them to remind me I am back home. I will never forget returning to the UK, no problems until I came off the M1, a few miles from home and merrily drove French style down the road and round a roundabout!!!!!::blast

Hey guys. I'm alive!

I made it a bit late to Calais due to all chunnel tickets sold out and ferry ports were mad. Those poor gits in cars!

I spent the 1st night in Cambrai, then Mons - Chimay where I stumbled on to a racetrack which looked like they just finished racing! Spent the night in a campsite where no managers were about and some bikers let me in.

Next day made my way to Bouillon, stopped off at Gedinne. Did the public race track there, the organiser of the Belgium Classic cup let me stay the night and invited me back for the race. Lovely guys.

Now in Luxembourg, pretty non descript really, all musuems closed today. Struggling for things to do here!

On to Trier tomorrow! Is it worth spending 2 nights in Trier, 2 nights in Efiel?

Trier is a pleasant place to spend a day mooching about on foot, or use the hop on/hop off bus that takes you around the sights. Treat yourself to a city centre hotel.

Trier is a lovely place, bit of a fairytale city! Made it to Eifel, rode around till I had enough and camping at Eifel-campsite tonight. Any other ideas for another night or 2 from here preferably en route back to Calais?

Thanks Wessie, I saw your message a bit late. Funnily enough I did go Dinant, then took motorway to Ghent and Bruges. Aside from the massive queues to get on the train. The Chunnel is amazing!
I had a great trip, thanks for all the tips and links guys. Travelling to Europe is pretty straight forward. Looking forward to my next trip!

Back
Top Bottom