NC750 DCT stalls and falls

(RIP) digger37

Reaction score
Was out on Sunday for a blast and came upon a road closure necessitating a U-turn. The engine stalls and down we go. I bought this 2021 bike less than three months ago from a Honda dealer. It had been owned by one of his mechanics. Testament to the fact that I like it is the 6k kms I’ve put on it. It’s v easy to ride, low CoG and suits my more relaxed way of riding. Having picked myself and the bike up my brain remembers that Honda made a recall for this very reason. E-mailed honda.ch with the VIN. They swiftly replied that the software update had not been done. Me thinks this leaves the dealer in an awkward position and owing me some recompense. What say you?

Did the bike suffer any damage Jim?

Knowing your riding skills as I do, I would say that the fall is more likely to be a fault of the bike rather than you....Honda have acknowledged that by recalling the bikes, and have sold this one without the correction... so, yes.

Haven't inspected closely yet but there are bound to be some marks, which will detract come a resale. Difficult to understand how it took so long to happen. Apart from bruised shoulder and ankle, I'm OK, but in another busier place it could have been different. Because of the dealer's negligence I think he owes me some recompense.

IMHO you are definitely owed recompense

I owned a brand new K1300 GT EE in 2010, it also cut out and fell over outside a well known bike meet, my supplying dealer said he'd never heard of that before and suggested that my tank bag must have hit the kill switch...the bike didn't have a tank bag fitted at the time !

The damage was considerable and I got bugger all back from the dealer !!!

A recall was issued by BMW Motorrad for this problem at a later date

Haven't inspected closely yet but there are bound to be some marks, which will detract come a resale. Difficult to understand how it took so long to happen. Apart from bruised shoulder and ankle, I'm OK, but in another busier place it could have been different. Because of the dealer's negligence I think he owes me some recompense.

Write to the dealer and make that point. Let us know what happens next! :beerjug:

Thank you for all your comments. In response to my email, Marco the dealer has just phoned me. We had a very good conversation and he will keep me right. We had established a good rapport when I bought the bike and I would have been surprised had he reacted differently. Restores one faith.

When I bought my 2014 Vstrom as an ex demo several years ago I discovered it had not had a recall done for a potential valve gear problem. Never take anything for granted!

A few years back a riding buddy found that the side stand cut out switch was not working when he tried to ride off after forgetting to flick up the stand. Result, one dropped fully loaded tourer and bruised wife. The recall on the switch had not been done before he got it from the UK dealer who supplied it new, but no admission of liability. Buddy being a reasonable guy accepted he was partly to blame and did not persue it, just wanted the bike fixed quickly for a holiday and did so himself. His solicitor felt the chances of cliaming successfully were slim due to the burden of proof that the recall issue caused the drop vs the riding competence debate.

Hope it all works out and that the dealer fully repairs the bike.