Cruise control

Howard J

Who?
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Cruise control on my 2011 RT is not working, any ideas? The set light flashes when I turn the ignition on, but nothing happens when riding when I slide the switch to the right and try and set….no lights, no nothing :nenau

Faulty switch cluster?

No idea, doing a bit of research it appears that there are micro switches linked to it at the rear and front brakes, throttle twist and throttle bodies, so could be any of these or the switch as you have said.

I had a K1200 with a similar problem, different technology I know but it turned out to be the clutch lever microswitch had bent a bit too much.

Looking for simple solutions first, make sure the front and rear brake controls aren't sticking or you're not resting your foot on the brake pedal, and that the clutch lever is fully out when in motion, any of these might activate the microswitches and stop the cruise from working. Then check the various microswitches themselves before spending cash on a new switch cluster. Good luck!

Cruise control on my 2011 RT is not working, any ideas? The set light flashes when I turn the ignition on, but nothing happens when riding when I slide the switch to the right and try and set….no lights, no nothing :nenau

I assume it has worked at some time?
When was the last time?
Have you replaced the heated grip at any time?
As you say the switch assembly is full of microswitches so this could be the source of the problem. It is possible to pull then apart and use an electrical contact cleaner but it will take ages to do.

I got the bike earlier this year and only recently tried to use the cruise control, the guy I got it off was saying how brilliant it was as the GSA he had just purchased didn’t have it which pissed him off a bit, the only thing I have messed with was the play in the throttle twistgrip….I wonder if this has messed it up?

I got the bike earlier this year and only recently tried to use the cruise control, the guy I got it off was saying how brilliant it was as the GSA he had just purchased didn’t have it which pissed him off a bit, the only thing I have messed with was the play in the throttle twistgrip….I wonder if this has messed it up?

That wouldn't have messed it up, it's not a massive amount of cash to have BMW check it and replace the cluster if that's where the fault is. At least if they diagnose the fault and replace anything the parts will be under a warranty and they'll test it before you get the bike back. The cruise control on the TC's is pretty reliable in my experience, I've had a few RT's with it on and they've been spot on even after huge mileage.

Back
Top Bottom