Low Rider ST

While I find Danny to be a bit of an emotive prick most of the time, he's not far off in his review. It's an excellent bike for a Harley. Looks like his build plan is very similar to mine - and the Star Racing 30/30 cam is the same as I am sticking in mine.

So far, I added the S&S Superstreet 2:1 pipe (with catalytic converter and dB reducer in) and had the bike dyno tuned at V-Twin in Rye. It ended up at 109HP and 125TQ at the rear wheel, with the stock cam and air filter. I also added other bits like Oberon levers, Crossthread Cycles mini-floorboards and brake/gear arms, Saddlemen SDC Pro seat, different screen, etc...

I have the S&S Air Stinger A/C and their 55mm manifold arriving this week, so will put those on and take a trip over to Rye to get it tweaked on the dyno. I don't expect much more from those two - maybe another 5HP or so. But the S&S air cleaner will make for better right hand leg position, and the high flow manifold will replace the plastic POS that these bikes come with.

Then the Star Racing cam will go in, and I am currently on the fence about also fitting the HD CNC ported heads as well. Probably another 20HP if I do the cam and the heads. I wish Alex at FastLane Headworks did M8 heads, but he's not tooled up for it.

All that said....it's an air cooled, pushrod operated Harley and is still about 20 years behind most other brands. Compared to my Pan America, the brakes feel wooden (but work well), the suspension is just about OK, not excellent but definitely much better than the stock suspension on the Touring bikes, it's heavy, agricultural and basic - but that is also part of the charm. It does go well, stop well and turn corners well considering the size and weight. But it's a blast to ride and looks "proper gangster" according to my children. I think that's a compliment.

I have not been able to get comfortable for long trips on mine though. The mid controls are very high and it was giving me hip pain after an hour or so. That's down to my age vs. the bike. So regretfully, it's getting a set of Wunderkind forward controls this weekend.

Oh - and the bags stay closed just fine. There have apparently been issues with them actually falling off some bikes, but that seems to have been down to dumb Yanks mistaking the "locked" indicator for the actual bag locking mechanism...

Finally, the trim ring around the headlight is a piece of crap that will fall off if you breath on it. A bit of silicone sorts that, and apparently HD now have a redesigned part that they will replace under warranty at service time.

5k miles on mine since August last year and I am enjoying it.

All sounds good what you have done to it so far

I saw one yesterday at Reading H-D

20220922-151833.jpg

20220922-151843.jpg

I wonder if this is the same one they have for sale second hand with 350 miles on it (and it was up at close to £30K, but now dropped to £28K)

I have the standard LRS......just put an Ohlins 504 on it......transforms it! Not cheap, but worth it. next step, stage 2. In Surrey Are if anyone wants a ride out

I wonder if this is the same one they have for sale second hand with 350 miles on it (and it was up at close to £30K, but now dropped to £28K)

Probably Toddy

I know they wouldn't let me sit on it when it was parked out front

Oxford H-D are having a Demo Day this coming Sunday and they have an ST available to try despite telling me on more than one occasion that H-D UK would not be allowing any of the dealers to have a an ST on fleet due to their scarceness :rolleyes:

Probably Toddy

I know they wouldn't let me sit on it when it was parked out front

Oxford H-D are having a Demo Day this coming Sunday and they have an ST available to try despite telling me on more than one occasion that H-D UK would not be allowing any of the dealers to have a an ST on fleet due to their scarceness :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up on the Demo Day Paul - I might just pop over there as I have a hankering to try out some of the Softail range. Not sure about the ST, but wouldn’t mind a quick spin on a Fat Boy or maybe a LRS (as Twizzle is always banging on about how good they are).

Here's my ST this afternoon after installing the S&S manifold and air filter:

IMG_3528-X2.jpg

IMG_3527-X2.jpg

IMG_3520-X2.jpg

Some other bits that I forgot to mention earlier:

HD front crashbar
Baja Designs LP4 headlight (absolutely bright as fuck)
Bung King rear passenger pegs/crashbars
Bung King 2" up and 2" back risers
HD "Kahuna" heated grips
Motogadget M-View sport mirrors
Memphis Shades hand guards
LED turn signals all round
Ed Richie sissy bar
And probably some other stuff I can't remember.

The forward controls haven't arrived yet, but will get fitted as soon as they do.

Forwards make all the difference…IMO as the stock pegs are just too high

Looks very nice. I am liking the old school look sissy bar.

While I find Danny to be a bit of an emotive prick most of the time, he's not far off in his review. It's an excellent bike for a Harley. Looks like his build plan is very similar to mine - and the Star Racing 30/30 cam is the same as I am sticking in mine.

So far, I added the S&S Superstreet 2:1 pipe (with catalytic converter and dB reducer in) and had the bike dyno tuned at V-Twin in Rye. It ended up at 109HP and 125TQ at the rear wheel, with the stock cam and air filter. I also added other bits like Oberon levers, Crossthread Cycles mini-floorboards and brake/gear arms, Saddlemen SDC Pro seat, different screen, etc...

I have the S&S Air Stinger A/C and their 55mm manifold arriving this week, so will put those on and take a trip over to Rye to get it tweaked on the dyno. I don't expect much more from those two - maybe another 5HP or so. But the S&S air cleaner will make for better right hand leg position, and the high flow manifold will replace the plastic POS that these bikes come with.

Then the Star Racing cam will go in, and I am currently on the fence about also fitting the HD CNC ported heads as well. Probably another 20HP if I do the cam and the heads. I wish Alex at FastLane Headworks did M8 heads, but he's not tooled up for it.

All that said....it's an air cooled, pushrod operated Harley and is still about 20 years behind most other brands. Compared to my Pan America, the brakes feel wooden (but work well), the suspension is just about OK, not excellent but definitely much better than the stock suspension on the Touring bikes, it's heavy, agricultural and basic - but that is also part of the charm. It does go well, stop well and turn corners well considering the size and weight. But it's a blast to ride and looks "proper gangster" according to my children. I think that's a compliment.

I have not been able to get comfortable for long trips on mine though. The mid controls are very high and it was giving me hip pain after an hour or so. That's down to my age vs. the bike. So regretfully, it's getting a set of Wunderkind forward controls this weekend.

Oh - and the bags stay closed just fine. There have apparently been issues with them actually falling off some bikes, but that seems to have been down to dumb Yanks mistaking the "locked" indicator for the actual bag locking mechanism...

Finally, the trim ring around the headlight is a piece of crap that will fall off if you breath on it. A bit of silicone sorts that, and apparently HD now have a redesigned part that they will replace under warranty at service time.

5k miles on mine since August last year and I am enjoying it.

You're not really selling it for me; cost of the bike plus the tune and mods done so far, for what seems like very little in the performance stakes not withstanding the build quality concerns you mentioned. 109bhp after tuning is disappointing when for less money you could have had an Indian Challenger that makes 122BHP out of the box and has heated grips, which I find unbelievable do not come standard on an HD Touring bike!

I do get for some that; "the badge is more important than the bike" and appreciate the warts and all review, it's refreshing to hear an HD owner that does actually mention the flaws and is honest about the reality of owning one of these, but your review does make it seem a bit of a money pit, but I guess for some the modding and farkling is part of the experience. I will continue to follow with interest.

Annoying thing for me is the very poor suspension on an expensive bike.
Farkling is enjoying for me anyway.
I have yet to see an Indian of any model out and about.

You're not really selling it for me; cost of the bike plus the tune and mods done so far, for what seems like very little in the performance stakes not withstanding the build quality concerns you mentioned. 109bhp after tuning is disappointing when for less money you could have had an Indian Challenger that makes 122BHP out of the box and has heated grips, which I find unbelievable do not come standard on an HD Touring bike!

I do get for some that; "the badge is more important than the bike" and appreciate the warts and all review, it's refreshing to hear an HD owner that does actually mention the flaws and is honest about the reality of owning one of these, but your review does make it seem a bit of a money pit, but I guess for some the modding and farkling is part of the experience. I will continue to follow with interest.

Well, for me messing around with my bikes is my main hobby. If I wasn't spending money on bike bits and spending hours in the garage, I would just be blowing it on cocaine and hookers or something. I'm not particularly looking for value for money either - it's just the fun of tinkering with the bike and making it more to my taste. It is indeed a money pit, but less so than yachting or car racing.

As for the Indian Challenger, it starts at £7k more than the Low Rider ST (which by the way isn't a Touring bike per se). If they say 122bhp, then that will be a spec at the crankshaft anyway, so it's probably under 110bhp at the rear wheel. Besides the fact that it's also pig ugly and would make me throw up in my mouth a little bit every time I saw it, there isn't the same aftermarket available to farkle it. And of course, I do have some degree of loyalty to HD, ride with a lot of other HD owners and the Indian is just. not. a. Harley.

If I want a more more modern, powerful, smooth bike, then I have a Pan America in the garage anyway. That has 150bhp out of the box and all the electronic toys. It's a fast, nimble and highly capable bike, but it doesn't have the same soul as an outmoded pushrod operated v-twin.

Annoying thing for me is the very poor suspension on an expensive bike.
Farkling is enjoying for me anyway.
I have yet to see an Indian of any model out and about.

The Softail platform suspension is not "very poor", it's actually pretty good now they have moved to a rear mono shock and more modern USD forks. But it's just not as good as the semi-active suspension on the Pan America (which is very good indeed).

But on the Touring bikes, yes the suspension is very poor out of the box.

Well, for me messing around with my bikes is my main hobby. If I wasn't spending money on bike bits and spending hours in the garage, I would just be blowing it on cocaine and hookers or something. I'm not particularly looking for value for money either - it's just the fun of tinkering with the bike and making it more to my taste. It is indeed a money pit, but less so than yachting or car racing.

As for the Indian Challenger, it starts at £7k more than the Low Rider ST (which by the way isn't a Touring bike per se). If they say 122bhp, then that will be a spec at the crankshaft anyway, so it's probably under 110bhp at the rear wheel. Besides the fact that it's also pig ugly and would make me throw up in my mouth a little bit every time I saw it, there isn't the same aftermarket available to farkle it. And of course, I do have some degree of loyalty to HD, ride with a lot of other HD owners and the Indian is just. not. a. Harley.

If I want a more more modern, powerful, smooth bike, then I have a Pan America in the garage anyway. That has 150bhp out of the box and all the electronic toys. It's a fast, nimble and highly capable bike, but it doesn't have the same soul as an outmoded pushrod operated v-twin.

Apologies; I was looking at the Diablo thing cost; but I stand corrected, seems both are cheaper than the Challenger. Not knocking it, and happy for you that you are fortunate enough to be able to live your dream although cocaine and hookers does not seem like a bad alternative but I guess the high is short lived😎Enjoy the bike and I look forward to future instalments of the upgrades.

How loud is the exhaust now?
I’ve got a sport glide, but don’t like LOUD exhausts, and wondered how much louder than stock that system is

Thanks

New bike looks good, health to enjoy it

Back
Top Bottom