Low Rider ST

adm1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In black, because Black Bikes Matter

Arriving next week.

Fat Bob sold last week.

Lots of bits already here.

Can't wait. But in the meantime I shall be going to Cornwall on Friday on the Pan America.

I picked it up today and am taking it off to Snowdonia tomorrow for a long weekend. First impressions are good. It needs a 2:1 pipe and a tune. I already have the pipe (S&S Superstreet) and have it booked in with Boz for the dyno tune when I get back from Wales.

It is deceptively quick even stock. The fairing does a great job of putting you in a still air bubble and you don't realise how fast you are going. It's a bit noisy though as the air hits the top two inches of my helmet, but absolutely zero buffeting and I will figure out how to lift the wind up two more inches soon enough.

I took the stupid barn door plate off and fitted a less than legal small lay down plate, wired in power and mount for my GPS, heated gear and a hard wired harness for my Noco jump pack. Also changed out the footpegs to mini footboards. I have Oberon adjustable levers, and billet brake pedal and gear selector to go on, but ran out of time this evening. New Saddlemen SDC seat coming next week as well. It needs different grips at some point (probably heated) and better mirrors, but they can wait a while.

Also needs saddlebag liners because I am taking my shit to Wales in a bunch of my wife's tote bags this weekend.

Oh what fun....

IMG_2149-X2.jpg

IMG_2159-X2.jpg

IMG_2160-X2.jpg

IMG_2161-X2.jpg

Looks great… enjoy Snowdonia. Lucky old fella.

Looks great… enjoy Snowdonia. Lucky old fella.

Oi. I'm not that old.

But the bike did great. 850+ miles in mixed weather and it didn't miss a beat. It's now properly run in and will hopefully get the 2:1 pipe and dyno tune next week. The fairing is really good. The suspension, brakes and frame are excellent for a Harley and all in all it's a pretty nice package.

I have more bits to go on and even more in the mail. I'll get it dialled in soon enough. It's nowhere near as good a bike as the Pan America, but it's a huge amount of fun for a big old pushrod V-twin with technology from the last century.

Oi. I'm not that old.

Lol… ol fella then…

Bit more USA, bit less ageist :D

Sounds like a helluva bike you have there… looks stunning. Getting more ‘bits’ is what it’s all about…. I am resisting like crazy atm. :blast:beerjug:

I have to report that the bike went back to the dealership in their van this afternoon. I fitted a pair of Oberon levers this afternoon, and after that it wouldn't start.

I rode 100 miles on it this morning and and it was perfect. But after fitting the levers it wouldn't wake up. I took the bar switch housings apart and checked all the wiring. Nothing pinched, rubbed or anything like that and its not the first time I have swapped levers on a Harley so have a good idea of where to be careful.

When I turned the bike on, the fuel pump would prime, the headlight and tail light would light up, but nothing else. No starter, no lights on the dash, no speedo display no turn signals, nothing.

At first I thought I had fucked up the clutch lever interlock switch or something like that, but took all that apart again and it seems to be just fine. The Oberon levers have the correct tang to activate the clutch interlock switch, and can be seen to do so. But it doesn't matter if it is gear or in neutral - same behaviour!

I even replaced the stock levers again, but exactly the same behaviour. Battery is good, I changed out the Fob battery just in case and that is OK.Even if there is no key fob present, it should still wake up and ask for the PIN code instead.

I pulled the main fuse and left it out for an hour before replacing it. But the fucker will not wake up properly or start.

I am thinking it is maybe a loose BCM connector or a BCM fault.

I called HD and in fairness, they had Bob with the van at my house inside 30 minutes to take it back for a proper look at. Tomorrow we should see what the issue is. I can't think of anything stupid that I may have done, but we will see.

I have to report that the bike went back to the dealership in their van this afternoon. I fitted a pair of Oberon levers this afternoon, and after that it wouldn't start.

I rode 100 miles on it this morning and and it was perfect. But after fitting the levers it wouldn't wake up. I took the bar switch housings apart and checked all the wiring. Nothing pinched, rubbed or anything like that and its not the first time I have swapped levers on a Harley so have a good idea of where to be careful.

When I turned the bike on, the fuel pump would prime, the headlight and tail light would light up, but nothing else. No starter, no lights on the dash, no speedo display no turn signals, nothing.

At first I thought I had fucked up the clutch lever interlock switch or something like that, but took all that apart again and it seems to be just fine. The Oberon levers have the correct tang to activate the clutch interlock switch, and can be seen to do so. But it doesn't matter if it is gear or in neutral - same behaviour!

I even replaced the stock levers again, but exactly the same behaviour. Battery is good, I changed out the Fob battery just in case and that is OK.Even if there is no key fob present, it should still wake up and ask for the PIN code instead.

I pulled the main fuse and left it out for an hour before replacing it. But the fucker will not wake up properly or start.

I am thinking it is maybe a loose BCM connector or a BCM fault.

I called HD and in fairness, they had Bob with the van at my house inside 30 minutes to take it back for a proper look at. Tomorrow we should see what the issue is. I can't think of anything stupid that I may have done, but we will see.

You mean apart from buying it.....

That should have read "depinning" a connector.

But anyway, turns out it was a blown fuse. A little 5A fuse that powers the hand control switches, dash, security module and also sends an "I'm alive" signal to the ECM, so without that, the bike wont start. I probably should have found that myself, but only checked the main 40A fuse. Live and learn...

Nice and simple. The question of why that fuse blew remains open though.

But kudos to HD, they came and picked the bike up within 30 minutes of my call yesterday evening, sorted it out and dropped it back here at 0900 today.

Great service, that… glad it was something straightforward for you :D

Great service, that… glad it was something straightforward for you :D

Me too. I was thinking it might be a BCM fault and I would be waiting months for a new part...

It does look lovely, but it's £6K more than the regular bike and is exactly the same apart from the paint and having the already optional (£1K!!) stereo already fitted.

Back
Top Bottom