Chain riveter— recommendations and any top tips plz.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 790 will soon need new a chain and sprockets.
I’ve got a gadget to push the pins out but don’t have the tool required to flare the ends of the new pins so looking for recommendations on a decent brand/ type of tool to do the job pls. Also any top tips , stuff to be aware of etc appreciated.
The last time I replaced a chain on a bike it was a split link jobbie.

Cheers.

I have a cheap Sealey tool which has done the job a couple of times. It's a bit crappy though compared to a proper tool such was DID make specifically for their chains - £110 ish for the genuine article. cheaper clones are available.

I wouldn't even try and press the old pins out without grinding off the flared bit. Makes it so much easier.

I'll probably end up buying the DID tool or possibly one of these. They come highly recommended.

The go to tool is the DID KM500R, but at £133 probably a bit rich for a one-off job.

It's a while since I got my hands dirty with chains but IIRC, Demon Tweeks, amongst others do something similar for a sensible price.

The tool will have instructions. Just don't overdo the flaring or it will crack the head of the rivet - take it easy & check with a vernier caliper.

DID was the only chain maker that i could find an actual measurement for the flare for. Other manufacturers just suggest using their own tool, which presumably gets it right automatically.

Chain Riveter

If you have a good mechanical`feel`you can do as follows..
Having pushed the link through the chain with O rings in position push the link plate on the the link with a G clamp until link pins are through the plate.
You then need a block of metal about 30/30/50 mm and a quality 4 oz ball pane engineers hammer. Hold the metal behind the link and with the ball end of the hammer gently rivet the pins over but do not go mad about 25% bigger than the pin. With a bit of practice you can make a nice job.
Hope this helps.....

As with all tools, buy cheap, buy twice. I have a Whale Chain Breaking And Riveting Tool, it’s been used numerous times and is just as good as when I bought it.

The difficult bit is not squeezing the "o"rings out as you peen the pins over. Some chains come with a wire spacer that fits round the rings to avoid this problem. Motion Pro do a decent tool at about £80.

s-l1600.jpg

The go to tool is the DID KM500R, but at £133 probably a bit rich for a one-off job.
...or get a copy of the DID tool for £33

Search eBay item #174775574999

I have a DID copy, had used cheaper ones in the past and they would knock out one or two pins then fail, although not used it to fit a soft-link as always use split-link chains on my Enduro bike, and either had shaft drive or not kept my big bikes long enough to need a new chain for the last 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom