iTunes library not transferring - 2022 K1600 / TFT screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever the reason.

The TFT screen is again resolutely refusing to load the / access the music library on my iPhone. Why it did once but then never again is a mystery beyond my pay grade.

I got it to do it once more by dropping the iPhone, connecting another iPhone and then selecting media. But the bike then did not do it again.

Back to BMW Battersea it goes….

Common issue reported.

IOS permissions. Battery saving mode. A2DP licence......
No data is transferred, Its mirrored. This issue only is present on IOS. Its the phone settings.

Oddly enough that’s what I was told by the dealer back in 2016 when my GSA tft didn’t work.

The odd thing is that:

A. Both phones accessed the full library on my TFT screened 850 very reliably.

B. Both phones will, for no apparent reason sometimes (very rarely) transfer the library to the TFT screen on my 1600.

There is a misfit somewhere, that’s for sure.

Trying to think logically about it, if the issue is only when moving, which part is having the tantrum is it the phone or the TFT ?

Both the phone and bike will be able to sense they are moving.

I would guess that a trawl through menus and settings on both devices could by chance find a default setting that by design prevents you fiddling whilst driving?

Has your iPhone done an IOS software version update recently ? (Mines on 15.5 but 15.6 is available)

The only thing I can think of is the "Driving Focus" setting could be enabled in Settings>Focus. This acts like a "Do Not Disturb" mode to prevent calls/SMS etc whilst driving, perhaps it locks out everything music-related except for the offical Apple CarPlay operation? If enabled, try turning it off and see if things are how they should be.

......Clutching at straws.

On further investigation, it is as unreliable accessing the music library stationary as it is on the move. I think the only reason that it seemed to access the library more readily (and that is about once in a blue moon) whilst standing still, is that it is easier for me to try connecting when I am standing in my garage, than when hooning along. In other words, I have simply tried more often in the garage.

In short, accessing the music library as flakey as hell whether moving or standing still.

The TFT making contact with the phone itself, for example to access the telephone directory of calls and the phone book, is 100% reliable. It is simply the access to the music library that is very hit and miss, with strong emphasis on the word ‘miss’.

There is clearly a misfit in the Bluetooth connection between the TFT screen and the library on my iPhone(s).

Now and again the Media option will access the iPhone’s music library and make it fully accessible, the iWheel (or whatever it’s called) allowing me to scroll through, albums, songs artists and the like. In short, it works, just as it should. More often than not it will not work.

I can sometimes (not always) force the access by:

a. Deleting the iPhone.

b. Connecting my second iPhone. This sometimes (rarely) allows access to the library and everything works.

c. Reconnecting my first iPhone.

But as soon as I turn the bike off and turn it on again, the access to the library is again lost or forgotten.

Sometimes (very rarely) the system will randomly allow access to the iPhon’s library - and everything works properly - without me doing anything at all.

I have now exhausted any ideas I might have, so have logged the fault with my dealership. They can have the happy task of playing around with it (and hopefully getting it to work reliably) under the warranty.

Andriod. Problem solved.

Indeed, I think you are right.

I have just ordered myself a reconditioned Samsung S10 for just that purpose. What I have learned (though it’s unconnected with this problem) is that Android phones ‘handshake’ automatically with the bike’s own wi-fi channel, whilst an iPhone demands a prompt each time, which becomes tedious.

The Samsung won’t need a SIM card, which is handy.

Just out of interest, My new S22 Ultra wouldn't work with my Mavic Pro 2 drone. DJI just kept palming me off, so I bought a Samsung S9 plus. Its now permanently fitted to the drone controller, no sim, and is so much better. No time wasting setting up, just turn on and fly.

Indeed, I think you are right.

I have just ordered myself a reconditioned Samsung S10 for just that purpose. What I have learned (though it’s unconnected with this problem) is that Android phones ‘handshake’ automatically with the bike’s own wi-fi channel, whilst an iPhone demands a prompt each time, which becomes tedious.

The Samsung won’t need a SIM card, which is handy.

Can’t the handshake be changed in settings.

Can’t the handshake be changed in settings.

Apparently not.

For some unknown (to me at least) the iPhone does not connect automatically, as it would do say when you come home and automatically reconnect with your home Wi-Fi or, say the Wi-Fi at work. In short, either the phone and / or the bike’s local Wi-Fi network forget each other. Apparently an Android phone does not have this problem.

I can’t find anything on the web which tells me how it can be worked around.

It’s only a bit annoying when you stop and then have to reconnect. It is also a tads annoying as the BMW Connected app closes if you swipe up. Due to the design of the 1600’s new fan cooled cubbyhole, it is really easy to swipe up by mistake. If you do it, you have to start again.

Apparently not.

For some unknown (to me at least) the iPhone does not connect automatically, as it would do say when you come home and automatically reconnect with your home Wi-Fi or, say the Wi-Fi at work. In short, either the phone and / or the bike’s local Wi-Fi network forget each other. Apparently an Android phone does not have this problem.

I can’t find anything on the web which tells me how it can be worked around.

It’s only a bit annoying when you stop and then have to reconnect. It is also a tads annoying as the BMW Connected app closes if you swipe up. Due to the design of the 1600’s new fan cooled cubbyhole, it is really easy to swipe up by mistake. If you do it, you have to start again.

Try turning “auto-join hotspots” on. It may help, apparently

I will try.

I think the problems might be:

A. The bike is not a hot spot per-se. I believe it is a network in its own right but in a very local sense.

B. The iPhone will probably go off looking for every hot spot it can find.

Re the joining issue, I can only speak from my experience with my RT (for which I bought a dedicated iPhone SE since my 11 pro with case on won't fit in the cubby). Best to set the iPhone to "Ask to join Networks". Turn OFF "Auto-join this network" when connected to your Home network (or any other which you may join regularly eg Work). Turn ON "Auto-join this network" when connected to the bike network. Forget about Hotspots.

This works most of the time and it has improved with software updates on the bike - I'm currently on version 48 and it's going in tomorrow to have version 50 installed. Fingers crossed.

The reconditioned Samsung S10 I bought has turned up.

As I have never held an Android phone before, let alone owned one, I had to guess how to do several things. But so far, so good, as I have at least managed to install some apps and delete some of the junk apps which all phones seem to come with.

I am now just installing the whole of the European maps into the BMW Connect app. When this is done, I’ll see how it connects to my 1600 and, more importantly, whether the internet connection remains stable.

Loading iTunes music onto the phone is well beyond my pay grade.

Re the joining issue, I can only speak from my experience with my RT (for which I bought a dedicated iPhone SE since my 11 pro with case on won't fit in the cubby). Best to set the iPhone to "Ask to join Networks". Turn OFF "Auto-join this network" when connected to your Home network (or any other which you may join regularly eg Work). Turn ON "Auto-join this network" when connected to the bike network. Forget about Hotspots.

This works most of the time and it has improved with software updates on the bike - I'm currently on version 48 and it's going in tomorrow to have version 50 installed. Fingers crossed.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom