Am I being thick?

Redboots

Member well-known
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I plotted a route in BC from home to Calais.
Done in 2 parts as the unit barfed trying to do it in one.

I then sent those 2 parts to the XT (via BC) Their names are W2C Part1 and W2C Part2

The XT then recalculated(?) them when I started the unit - said new tracks or routes found.
OK so far.

When I go to load the first part of the trip, all I can find is Track and Track1 (within Favorites).
If I had a load of tracks/routes, it would be a pain remembering which is which.

Connecting the unit back to BC I can see the Track & Track1 and also the route(?) W2C-Part1 & 2.
I can rename the routes in BC but not the tracks and can not find a way to do it on the XT.

Have I missed something? Or is that it on the XT.

Attachments

• W2C.JPG
    W2C.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 304
I found it!
Not very obvious...

Select Where To? > Favourites.
If necessary, select a category.
Select a location.
Select Information.
Select Menu > Edit.
Select an option:
Select Name.
Select Phone Number.
Select Categories to assign categories to the saved location.
Select Change Map Symbol to change the symbol used to mark the saved location on a map.
Edit the information.
Select Done.

I do miss my Montana. I should have shelled out the extra :(

I have a micro SD card in my XT and always send the routes to it. Can be imported multiple times too.

BTW the trips are displayed in order of time of start, which can cause confusion if you calculate the return before the out leg, and then don't change the departure time and date on both.

I plotted a route in BC from home to Calais.
Done in 2 parts as the unit barfed trying to do it in one.

I then sent those 2 parts to the XT (via BC) Their names are W2C Part1 and W2C Part2

The XT then recalculated(?) them when I started the unit - said new tracks or routes found.
OK so far.

When I go to load the first part of the trip, all I can find is Track and Track1 (within Favorites).
If I had a load of tracks/routes, it would be a pain remembering which is which.

Connecting the unit back to BC I can see the Track & Track1 and also the route(?) W2C-Part1 & 2.
I can rename the routes in BC but not the tracks and can not find a way to do it on the XT.

Have I missed something? Or is that it on the XT.

I am not sure that I understand this.

You have created a route in BaseCamp, which the device , due to its length (how long is it by the way) has broken into two parts. Then you start talking about tracks. Why are you looking on the device for tracks, when you have created a route?

To access routes, go:

Home Screen

Apps

Trip planner

Saved trips

You might, depending on the number of routes you have opened up, need to scroll down. If the route or routes you want are not shown there, go:

Back arrow (bottom left).

Three lines top left.

Import.

Scroll down if necessary to find the route or routes.

Tick.

Import

The device will make a calculation of the route.

The device will then revert back to Trip planner.

Scroll down if necessary and select the route.

Job done.

======

For a track….

Home Screen

Apps

Tracks

This will bring up saved tracks and, on a separate tab (bottom right) unsaved tracks

In saved tracks….

Tap on a track

Tap on spanner (top left)

Do things to the track, like rename it, change the colour, width of track etc etc etc

With unsaved tracks, it’s pretty much the same process, starting with the spanner……

Over to you.

I am not sure that I understand this.

You have created a route in BaseCamp, which the device , due to its length (how long is it by the way) has broken into two parts. Then you start talking about tracks. Why are you looking on the device for tracks, when you have created a route?

The route was 663km in total. After sending it to the XT and opening it there, it choked, saying too many waypoints or something like that.
After splitting it into two and sending to the XT, I couldn't find any routes (called W2C...), only track and track1 - this is/was a virgin device.

I found the rename procedure - post #2
Off out now, will check later.

With a length of 663 klicks and an unknown number of via/way/shaping points, I am maybe not surprised that it didn’t load in one.

The distance itself might not be a problem, but if there is north of 28 via points (as opposed to shaping points) the device will not accept the route.

I think it depends on how many waypoints (or too too many shaping points) you added to the route.
I definitely have (working) longer ones than 600km.

Again as said by Wapping above: most routes will need 1 or 2 to zero Waypoints. All you need is shaping points in most cases.

When planning long journeys i have started planning my routes by the day.
Easier to manage and less to go wrong (if it does)

I have had a love hate relationship with my Nav6, but must admit i am having more success lately.
i have learned to plan my routes differently, and do it the way the unit wants rather than the other way round.

On any given journey there are parts i am not too bothered about, and parts/roads i DO want to ride on, i let the unit calculate for most gaps and just use a via way marker on passes or roads i really want to visit.

Some people turn auto calculation off totally and follow their home made route exactly, i used to do this and i could never get it to work.
it just needs a wrong turn, diversion or road works and whole thing falls apart. I ended up spending too much time sat at the side of the road fiddling with the GPS instead of riding.

I planned a route to work and each day tried different settings until i found a way that works for me.

Always, always, always, always have a track and a route on top of each other for the same itinerary.
When the route is recalculated you can see how much off the intended itinerary you are going.

With a length of 663 klicks and an unknown number of via/way/shaping points, I am maybe not surprised that it didn’t load in one.
The distance itself might not be a problem, but if there is north of 28 via points (as opposed to shaping points) the device will not accept the route.

OK, thanks for the how to find routes/tracks.

The route in 2 segments shows there are 2 points and 2 via points in each.
If I join those two routes I get 153 point and 4 via points :confused:

Wana have a go? :)

From N49° 42.316' E8° 47.186' to N50° 56.178' E1° 48.898'

OK, thanks for the how to find routes/tracks.

The route in 2 segments shows there are 2 points and 2 via points in each.
If I join those two routes I get 153 point and 4 via points :confused:

Wana have a go? :)

From N49° 42.316' E8° 47.186' to N50° 56.178' E1° 48.898'

There is an inconsistency in what you are telling us. Earlier you said:
The route was 663km in total. After sending it to the XT and opening it there, it choked, saying too many waypoints or something like that.

Me creating a route from the two geo points will consist of nothing more than me putting a start point in at N49° 42.316' E8° 47.186' and an endpoint in at N50° 56.178' E1° 48.898' and asking BaseCamp or my gps device device to create a route (according to my preference settings) between the two points. As it only has start and end points it will have no shaping or via points in between them. Whether the route then looks anything like yours is unknown.

What would I do if I were you?

A. You know your start point A and your end point B.

B. I would ask BaseCamp to create me a route (according to the preference settings) between A and B.

C. If I was happy with the route which BaseCamp had created for me (ie that it near enough followed the sort of roads I wanted to ride) I would give it a name and send it to my device, for import into Trip Planner.

If the route were too long, I’d let the device break it into two (or more) parts itself.

Or I’d break it into two parts myself in BaseCamp and give each a separate name. These two separate routes I’d then sent to my device for import into Trip Planner.

D. If I was unhappy with the route A to B that BaseCamp had created, I’d shape using the shaping tool (ie creating shaping points, of which Garmin will allow lots and lots) and then send that to my device for import into my device. Again, if that were too long a route for my device to deal with, I’d follow the above.

There are lots of very good self-help videos on YouTube and posts / threads on UKGSer on how to create routes in BaseCamp for successful import into modern Garmin gps devices. The XT is a very powerful gps device. In operation it is very similar to earlier devices like the Nav IV thro’ Nav VI but in some key aspects it differs. Get used to how it works.

Richard

PS If you share the actual route you created in BaseCamp (using something like Dropbox or any cloud based platform to share it) it might help us to help you more.

According to the tech blurb for the XT, it can handle up to 200 waypoints, so the old restriction is now defunct with the XT. Now a caveat, I haven't tried it. My Route App now also allows you to build a route in segments, again haven't tried loading these to the XT yet to see if the device can handle :)

If so (and I don’t doubt it) then it’s odd that the OP received a message saying:

After sending it to the XT and opening it there, it choked, saying too many waypoints or something like that.

Picking the bits and pieces out of this thread remotely is difficult but I’m left with the overriding impression that innocent user error lies behind the problem. Unpicking it is the tricky part, especially remotely.

B. I would ask BaseCamp to create me a route (according to the preference settings) between A and B.

I started again.

After BC created the route, I dragged it around to shape it into what I wanted.
BC always makes this route via Cologne/Brussels and I want to go via Luxembourg/Mons. The A3 to Cologne is shite these days with roadworks and the Dutch heading south.
Sent that route to the XT SD card.
On re-starting the XT didn't autodetect any new routes. So I sent it to the internal memory.
Restarted the unit and it saw the new route and was then able to go via trip-planner.

So its all in there and works.
I have no idea what I must have done to upset it the first time as I don't see that I did anything different.
Same(ish) route and BC sent it without complaining. The first route I sent did not give the option of splitting it On the XT.

Thanks you for your help.
If nothing else I now see that the terminology has all changed on these Android type units.

If I read it correctly, you have fixed the problem?

If so, excellent.

If not, come back to us.

Back
Top Bottom