Recommend A Good Compact Air Bed

Taff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We need a couple of air beds that are good but that can pack up small to either fit in a pannier or get tied to the back of the bike; what are the best ones out there now? :nenau

Years ago, I think Exped was one of the most recommended ones, but new companies come along so that may not be the case any more.

I've got an aerostat synthetic 7.0 mat. Packs up small, comfortable, inflates using the included windsock & being insulated helps to maintain heat in the cooler weather.

Exped Downmat 9LW! :thumb2

Thermarest do some good ones too but if you want comfort then the 9LW is the one.

Exped Dura 5 long wide . Replaced my delaminated down mat with one .

If you want compact then buy a Thermarest, if you don’t want it but want comfort then Exped.

I alternate between the two according to how much spare room I’ve got and how cold it’s expected to be. If I’m using panniers with a total capacity of about 30l then something else has to go to allow the space for the Exped so it stays at home. I’ve got sleeping bags that pack down smaller than my Exped so think carefully about how you’ll carry it before buying.

Key question is do you mean air bed or sleeping mat? Very different propositions in terms of weight, comfort and price.

I have a (very expensive) insulated Thermarest. I have a significantly cheaper Coleman “compact” air bed. The Thermarest is lighter (much) and packs smaller (much). The Coleman is more comfortable (much, much, much). If I have room, it’s no contest.

You pays your money and you takes your choice…

Back
Top Bottom