West Ireland

Anthony Byrne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ive been lacking in trips the past 2 years and seem to find endless reasons to not get up and go. Last weekend was to be different and it was time to get some photo rally points done in the west of Ireland.

The west of Ireland is epic and a place that needs to be seen, particularly the road (N59) north of Leenane through the Connemara mountains-do yourself a favour and go find it.

Day1:
Shut off from work at 1pm and was already packed from the night before and took a 2 hour drive from my home in Wexford to the midlands of Ireland to a campsite on Lough Ree (Bailey Bay). The drive up was a wee bit boring and I couldn't turn off from work, I was a grumpy whore to be honest and couldn't find my mojo for the trip. The camp grounds were clean and basic however sat on the shores of the Lough with some beautiful views.
converted_86.jpg
Day2:
Packed and driving for 8.15, the north side of the Lough is beautiful. Good clean roads with lots of bends and I started to pick up the first off the photo rally points. Now the plan was to tip into Sligo and head to Achill Island, Achill is a place of mystery and Irish tales of folklore. Its an epic place with hidden gems everywhere. The big items like Keem Bay are must see but there are amazing places the general tourists doesn't always get to. Let me know if you ever want some info, I tend to go once a year.
converted_77.jpg
Day3:
Today was to be epic, on the road before 9am head for the N59, folks this is in my opinion one of the most godly roads in the world and brings you through Connemara. Its still very much set in the old way with the Irish language spoken and good Irish friendliness as I was just about to see:aidan. Doing 80kph across the mountains I seen 2 ladies and 2 kids on the side of the road. With no phone signal in 28 degree heat and miles away from the nearest town I stopped to see were they ok. She got a puncture with no spare tyre :(. While I got to work plugging the tyre for her, a few locals drove past and stopped to see the commotion. Sure enough they knew a man who knew a man who would get her a tyre even on a Sunday:beerjug:! After awhile she was on her way, a little tearful but she was so thankful to have the help.

On I went loving life and the twists that this beautiful part of Ireland has to offer.
converted_78.jpg
converted_80.jpg
converted_71.jpg
I was heading to Loop Head, not a place im very familiar with but I tried a camp site right down on the peninsula and scored a gem of a find. The owner Niall was a great laugh, super friendly and at €12 it was a bargain. Its more geared for long term mobile homes but he has some fields for tents.

Day 4 was a 4 hour ride home with some rally point for good measure. All in it was 1115km with 7 points along the way, it felt good to stretch the bike legs again and get my mojo back. Now to plan a sneaky trip for next week;)

Good one, great stuff. :thumb
I think many of us have fallen into a "CBA" mindset since all the lockdown hysteria, and it's been too easy to find every reason for not just simply shoving some camping gear on our bikes (or booking somewhere to stay) and just buggering off for a few days.
An inspirational ride report. :thumb
Hope there's more to follow.

Mega brownie points for helping the stranded driver with her puncture. :beerjug:

Beautiful. My Dad was brought up in a small Village called Curry, just in Sligo from Mayo. He left, as many did back in the 1950’s to find work in England. I always love being there.

Beautiful part of the world.....and great pictures

Is it just me or is the rocky outcrop designed to suggest a Kangaroo in a compromising position :nenau

A great report for those who may be thinking of going to Leenane via Rosslare and cross country. Thanks Anthony!

Beautiful part of the world.....and great pictures

Is it just me or is the rocky outcrop designed to suggest a Kangaroo in a compromising position :nenau

It's just you.....

Anyone can see it's a giraffe

That's a bit worrying. :)

Cracking photos and write up...on my to do list.

I was in Achill 2 weeks ago at the start of our summer. It’s a beautiful place at any time but it was simply stunning in the good weather
But don’t tell anyone :p

I was in Achill 2 weeks ago at the start of our summer. It’s a beautiful place at any time but it was simply stunning in the good weather
But don’t tell anyone

I was in Achill Sound on Thursday.

I have a customer there...... Sweeneys Hardware, just over the bridge.

I had a lovely spin the previous Thursday from Casla up through Maams Cross to Cong and on up to Ballinrobe.....before heading home.
I really should start using my bike for work.

S20 5G sent this......

Younger 006, I see you live in Naas....I stayed in a hotel there in 2007 with my old mate Alan Carter, whilst we were supporting a young bike racer, she (yes she) was competing at Mondello Park

Lovely part of the world :)

Great photos Anthony ... a beautiful place. Been along the WAW a few times, I just love the west coast of Ireland :thumb

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oRdDnpkR3AQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:beerjug:

Younger 006, I see you live in Naas....I stayed in a hotel there in 2007 with my old mate Alan Carter, whilst we were supporting a young bike racer, she (yes she) was competing at Mondello Park

Lovely part of the world :)
Yeah, I love Naas.
I'm a Dub but I'm living down in Naas since about 2003

You probably stayed in The Osprey.

S20 5G sent this......

I really cannot remember the name of the hotel it may have even been a pub with accommodation...Osprey looks great but almost certainly too costly for a couple of Yorkshire lads :)

I do remember a few good beers and a very good steak and chips, but that won't help with identification too much :beer: :yelrotflm

Here's a couple of pictures ....one of Alan dispensing advice to Nicolle, and another in the Mondello bar with one trophy that Alan never won

Attachments

• 2007-03-18 11.46.02.jpg
    2007-03-18 11.46.02.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 399
  • 2007-03-18 16.21.03.jpg
    2007-03-18 16.21.03.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 403
Thanks for posting this. I'm heading to the 6 Counties & the Free State at the end of this week to do my next leg of the WAW.
I've set aside a full day to do Achill Island - you mentioned parts the tourists wouldn't normally see?

Back
Top Bottom