MSR vs Lone Rider

Anthony Byrne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Im looking at buying a free standing 2 man tent and narrowed it down to the MSR Elixir 2 or the Lone rider ADV tent (smaller tent).

Both are about €350 euro and look well reviewed, has anyone either tent and would recommend or not recommend them?

The lone rider one will fit in the pannier so tipping the scale at the moment

https://www.msrgear.com/ie/tents/backpacking-tents/elixir-2-backpacking-tent/10331.html

https://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com/products/adventure-motorcycle-tent

i have the LoneRider tent and like it a lot. It packs up nice and small, and it a doddle to put up. There's enough room inside it for me + my gear and it's not cramped. Plus the netted interior lets the breeze pass through and keep you cool. It has plenty of storage pockets to keep things out the way.
My only criticism of it is the sides/doors (either side) are difficult to get pulled taught, and they can flap in the wind. I think is due to the nature of the tent as the sides can be peeled back. Beyond this it's a good tent and i've used it multiple times this year in wet weather to the recent hot stuff - and it's been good.

I have the MSR Elixir 3 which is ideal for me and my crap when I go camping. Paid about £300 ish for it from Go Outdoors last year or the year before.

I have an elixir 2. Bought it in 2016 and its done loads of big trips around Europe. This year the seam sealant started to break down but I have repaired it and it's passed a hose pipe test. Great tent.

from what I read Lone Rider does and it comes with an extra ground sheet to prevent countering the bottom of the tent

I have the MSR Elixr 1 .. small little one just for me and it is brilliant. Light, easy to pack and set up and just a decent bit of kit. Not saying the others arn't but if I had to I would go straight out and buy another MSR. Very pleased.

I looked at both the tents you have mentioned, and also the siera designs Meteor, and also there clearwing tent, these have both new spec for europe, but decided against and went for the big agness blacktail 3 hotel for the added large vestibule they also do the the none hotel version with no extended vestibule, The big agness has the lowest HH rating of only 1500 but trust me it held fast in biblical rain, and the none hotel version comes with footprint. just alternatives for you to have a look at if you have not done already.

Hey folks,

Im looking at buying a free standing 2 man tent and narrowed it down to the MSR Elixir 2 or the Lone rider ADV tent (smaller tent).

Both are about €350 euro and look well reviewed, has anyone either tent and would recommend or not recommend them?

The lone rider one will fit in the pannier so tipping the scale at the moment

https://www.msrgear.com/ie/tents/backpacking-tents/elixir-2-backpacking-tent/10331.html

https://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com/products/adventure-motorcycle-tent

Remember if you remove the poles from the tent bag (and strap them to e.g. underside of topbox) then most tents will fit in your pannier

I have the MSR Elixir 2 bought from Amazon for around £250 this year its very quick and easy for one person to put up and good space for one the included footprint is only the size of the inner tent I would have liked it to also include the space in the vestibule just to give you a clean dry surface to kneel on when getting in and out. I can easily cut an old tarp sheet to do this . so far I've not needed to use any of the guy lines so just a peg in each corner and 1 each side to peg the fly at the door it can be pitched inner only or outer only handy in the rain to pitch outer first I also like that its free standing so can be picked up and easily moved its very well vented the top half of the inner is all mesh with overhead storage pockets and gear hanging loops

I have the Lone rider adv, very pleased as it’s a big enough and easily erected, dismantled. I’ve only used it twice and cannot imagine changing it.

My son has an MSR Elixir2. I’ve never known such a robust tent. He and his girlfriend lived in it over a New Zealand South Island winter (about 100 consecutive nights in 2019). Before then and since then he has done probably another 100 nights of motorcycle, bicycle, backpacking, festival and whatever all around the world. It’s just now started to wet out but apart from that there’s been no seams coming apart or much sign of wear and tear. Great tent. When I next to get a small tent it’s what I’m buying.

Thanks all I went with the lone rider.

The MSR does look class though and I could have gone either way to be honest. The marketing for the motorbike adventure probably pushed me to lonerider-dam my weakness for commercial tactics :blast

Thanks again
Anthony

Back
Top Bottom