Spinning motor over in storage

Mad Hatter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One of my 1150GS’s isn’t being used at the moment. Is there any reason why I couldn’t disconnect the tank electrical connector, pull the spark plugs and ground them, and spin the motor on the starter for a few seconds to circulate some oil around every now and them while it’s in storage?

Why not just start the bike and let it run for 5-10 mins? :nenau
Sounds like a lot of faffing about doing it the way you suggested.

I’d have to put some fuel in the tank for a start and then have it sat in there for god knows how long until I start using the bike again, or the faf of draining it out all over again. Plus the motor won’t get properly hot enough to burn off any condensation you get inside the motor. That was my thinking. But I might be overthinking it!

No harm in spinning it over with the plugs out. As you say, it’ll give the oil a splash around.
I agree about condensation. Starting an engine without running it up to temp is bad practice.

spin the motor on the starter for a few seconds to circulate some oil around every now and them while it’s in storage?

How many years is this bike staying in storage?

One of my 1150GS’s isn’t being used at the moment. Is there any reason why I couldn’t disconnect the tank electrical connector, pull the spark plugs and ground them, and spin the motor on the starter for a few seconds to circulate some oil around every now and them while it’s in storage?

Why??? Just why! :rob Leave it alone until you are going to use it and get it up to working temps
Empty or Completely Full fuel tank, Battery disconnected, tyres up to 55 psi and lifted off the ground at each end and Lash a load of FS365 or ACF50 over the bike (Excluding tyres YA know! )

No No NO! Always If you start it? run it till up to working temps!

OR just leave it alone

One problem is the over rich fuel mixture which just doesn;t get burned off The number of plugs I have replaced for muppets over the years that think Oooooo I must start my injected bike for 5 minutes!

Other problem is Daft Feckers that walk off and leave their bikes running!

Go take a phone call and come back at a run looking at a puddle of oil and a non running bike !

(I had to collect and "Fix" a fair few like that too!)

Well starting mine on and off for the last 4/5 years has done it no harm whatsoever. Even with the same fuel in it.
Some of you really do overthink these things.
It’ll be just fine.

I'd maybe just turn it over on a spanner if it's not going to be used for several months just in case the rings mark the bores by sitting in one position. If it's going to sit for a year or more I'd sell it.

Well starting mine on and off for the last 4/5 years has done it no harm whatsoever. Even with the same fuel in it.

You have been lucky! Honestly :thumb

Either that or you stay with it long enough to get warm enough to lower the fuel enrichment and get rid of most of the unburnt fuel

Be interesting to do an oil sample of yours, I always wondered how much of that unburnt fuel would make it into the oil until it had reached a decent temp for it to vaporise off again

:beerjug:

Oh and the last couple that were in, needed their entire in tank rubber bits changed

Old fuel had turned them to mush

Yeeeugh What a smell!!! both left just a gallon in the tank for a couple of years

Their measurement of a couple and mine are probably different :rob

Finally got around to spinning over the 1150. Tank electrics disconnected, plugs out and grounded. Motor spun over on the starter and oil pressure light extinguished very quickly. Did a few 10 second bursts to get the oil properly circulated around and everything is good. What was interesting is that after turning the motor over it was taking 30 seconds for the pressure to dissipate and the oil light to come back on. Only 13k on this bike though ��

Sheesh. I'd just fire it up and take it out for a 20 minute ride. SORN'ed or not.

Back
Top Bottom