Gear change clicking through clutch lever

Cornwallis

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having taken delivery of a 20 month old 850 GS with 2.5k miles, I'm very happy with my purchase. I've had a 1200 GS for over 14 years so there's quite a difference, but not in a negative way. One thing I've noticed is that when changing down I can feel the clicking of the gear change through the clutch lever. At first I thought this was resistance in the lever but it's definitely linked to each gear change. The bike has Shift Assistant Pro fitted that I'm just getting my head around, but I was wondering if the clicking through the clutch lever is normal. Thanks

Having taken delivery of a 20 month old 850 GS with 2.5k miles, I'm very happy with my purchase. I've had a 1200 GS for over 14 years so there's quite a difference, but not in a negative way. One thing I've noticed is that when changing down I can feel the clicking of the gear change through the clutch lever. At first I thought this was resistance in the lever but it's definitely linked to each gear change. The bike has Shift Assistant Pro fitted that I'm just getting my head around, but I was wondering if the clicking through the clutch lever is normal. Thanks

They all do that, sir :D

Mine does it too, seems to be perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry about it :thumb

I really appreciate the prompt replies. I've only got 30 days of warranty so if there was something amiss I want to make sure it's sorted before I'm on my own. Many thanks!

Mines the same with the clutch. Bit annoying...I thought it was faulty at first :)

Mine also--had it in once. Another annoying thing--dont know if its slipper clutch--never had one before, but I thought it was linked to the lever feed back---I let the clutch out and accelerate and the clutch sometimes takes a split second to drop in, which as the throttle is wound on a bit, causes a surge--not nice in corners, but getting used to both now.

Bill.

Hi

Do Non Shift Assistant Pro models produce this Clicking / Knocking feel ?

It’s the clutch it’s know as an anti hoper clutch , a type of slipper clutch. No matter how you let clutch out it engages in a controlled manner. I believe it only has three springs hence it’s light action. The clicking is normal , you will get use to it.

Mine also--had it in once. Another annoying thing--dont know if its slipper clutch--never had one before, but I thought it was linked to the lever feed back---I let the clutch out and accelerate and the clutch sometimes takes a split second to drop in, which as the throttle is wound on a bit, causes a surge--not nice in corners, but getting used to both now.

Bill.

When I took my new 850 in for it's 1st service last year I mentioned I thought I had a clutch fault.

Before I could describe it the girl on service reception described it to me and told me it was perfectly normal on the 850

Not had a problem with it although it still feels strange to me.

Bikes now covered just over 5k miles and I'm loving it!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom