Saw my first electric bike on the road

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If you're a city dweller, maybe these things are more common, but last night I saw my first leccy bike on the road.

Following it at dusk on a twisty B road I had no idea what it was.

Its number plate and rear light bobbed up and down with the rear wheel like a maxi scooter. The mirrors were below the handlebars, like an old RT. And it chirped - all very strange.

Pulling alongside at the traffic lights I saw it was a Zero SR/S, their fully faired offering.

The engine reminded me a lot of the old Hercules wankel (pretty sure I've never seen one in the flesh but the Top Trumps image is pretty well etched into my memory). Anyway, the 'engine' had that slightly unfamiliar profile, and finned sections which did remind me of the Hercules. The belt drive appeared to be quite lightweight - surprising given the torque these things generate. Maybe it would appear more sturdy in the daylight.

Overall it looked pretty good - I wouldn't say the power plant is attractive but on this model you're mainly looking at plastic bodywork anyway. Otherwise it seemed well finished.

As the lights changed, off it went with an unfamiliar whirring/whining noise. Not unpleasant, just different. I guess in a few years that will be very normal.

The fella riding it gave it the berries - it seemed reasonably even performance-wise with my 1200 Guzzi.

So.. here we are, the future is becoming the present.

Attachments

• Clipboard05.jpg
    Clipboard05.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 115
i had a go on a bike ( 10 years ago ) from , Mavizan , based on a KTM RC8 chassis. lighter than the KTM , makes no noise , with like shit off a shovel ...up to 85 . BUT at the time couldn't do 60 mile range. Mavizan folded soon after , my friend went to work for someone else in WC2 developing their electric bike, in prototype stage , i didn't get to ride that one before he died.

Back
Top Bottom