Possible K1300 GT purchase

daviedevs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going to view a 2009 K1300GT this evening. 42 k miles. Anything I need to look out for? Will be my first time with a 4 cylinder BMW.

Thanks.

I've just got one, just one thing to look out for........your licence hahaa

usual stuff service history, radiators take a bashing, it may need a good clean both inside and out, and overheating can be the result, apparently the shims need looking at every 16k but most don't need adjusting till big miles. The dreaded rust on the swing arm, but I've not seen one without it in some degree, but these bikes are 12 or 14 years old. The rest of my bike is excellent especially for its age, as most are.
The centre stand is weird though, it's like it's too short as lifting the bike is quite hard compared to every other BMW (or any other make) I had. The chap I got mine off gave me a piece of decking timber, put it under the rear wheel and makes getting the bike on the centre stand easier, Odd.

They do suffer from stalling when hot, lots of info on this, mine doesn't do it. There is also a problem with the battery cables, BMW skimped on this and the battery doesn't get the power it needs and the bike can be difficult to start when warm, mines done it a couple of times at the petrol station, when/if you let the engine die. Give it 5 minutes and hey presto it starts as if nothing is wrong. Bigger gauge cables are the answer, see here file:///C:/Users/ardch/Downloads/Hotsstartwireing.pdf

This is a good forum https://www.k-bikes.com/

I bought mine in Darlington then immediately rode it home, (360 miles) then two days later rode it to Hereford in one go (stopped for food and fuel) I'm 6'5" and adjusted the gear lever and raised the bars, the bike is fast, comfy and lovely to ride. I'm a twin lover really but after having a K1200RS I wanted something a bit newer and better. I love the bike and not found anything I don't like about it yet after about 2000 miles. Did I say it's fast ??

First gear is LOUD..CLUNK !! but apparently they all do it.

hope this helps.

I've just got one, just one thing to look out for........your licence hahaa

usual stuff service history, radiators take a bashing, it may need a good clean both inside and out, and overheating can be the result, apparently the shims need looking at every 16k but most don't need adjusting till big miles. The dreaded rust on the swing arm, but I've not seen one without it in some degree, but these bikes are 12 or 14 years old. The rest of my bike is excellent especially for its age, as most are.
The centre stand is weird though, it's like it's too short as lifting the bike is quite hard compared to every other BMW (or any other make) I had. The chap I got mine off gave me a piece of decking timber, put it under the rear wheel and makes getting the bike on the centre stand easier, Odd.

They do suffer from stalling when hot, lots of info on this, mine doesn't do it. There is also a problem with the battery cables, BMW skimped on this and the battery doesn't get the power it needs and the bike can be difficult to start when warm, mines done it a couple of times at the petrol station, when/if you let the engine die. Give it 5 minutes and hey presto it starts as if nothing is wrong. Bigger gauge cables are the answer, see here file:///C:/Users/ardch/Downloads/Hotsstartwireing.pdf

This is a good forum https://www.k-bikes.com/

I bought mine in Darlington then immediately rode it home, (360 miles) then two days later rode it to Hereford in one go (stopped for food and fuel) I'm 6'5" and adjusted the gear lever and raised the bars, the bike is fast, comfy and lovely to ride. I'm a twin lover really but after having a K1200RS I wanted something a bit newer and better. I love the bike and not found anything I don't like about it yet after about 2000 miles. Did I say it's fast ??

First gear is LOUD..CLUNK !! but apparently they all do it.

hope this helps.

Thanks...deposit paid.

Enjoy the bike.

Love mine, even if I've hardly ridden it in 3 years (mostly due to Covid!) - I may sell it as it deserves to be used.

Rocketship but comfortable - faster in every gear than a K1600, mine does 53mpg, more toys than you'll ever need.

The similar K1200GT had a few issues, but the 1300 sorted most of them. Switchgear can be iffy (affected other models too) - my R/H one has been replaced (I had Extended Warranty at the time, but still £100 excess, ouch!). Many K owners keep the Extended Warranty going as huge bills can happen (e.g. ESA failure, rare but ££££) but £1/day gives peace of mind and avoids spending £20K on a new BMW tourer.

Make sure the recalls have been done, battery lead and rear hub flange (again affected a few models) are the main ones.

www.eurokclub.bike is another forum

Interested re your Wanted thread for an OEM exhaust - was that just the silencer or full system? Some workshops jack the bike up under the front pipes - this is BMW policy but can dent pipes.

HTH

A

Enjoy the bike.

Love mine, even if I've hardly ridden it in 3 years (mostly due to Covid!) - I may sell it as it deserves to be used.

Rocketship but comfortable - faster in every gear than a K1600, mine does 53mpg, more toys than you'll ever need.

The similar K1200GT had a few issues, but the 1300 sorted most of them. Switchgear can be iffy (affected other models too) - my R/H one has been replaced (I had Extended Warranty at the time, but still £100 excess, ouch!). Many K owners keep the Extended Warranty going as huge bills can happen (e.g. ESA failure, rare but ££££) but £1/day gives peace of mind and avoids spending £20K on a new BMW tourer.

Make sure the recalls have been done, battery lead and rear hub flange (again affected a few models) are the main ones.

www.eurokclub.bike is another forum

Interested re your Wanted thread for an OEM exhaust - was that just the silencer or full system? Some workshops jack the bike up under the front pipes - this is BMW policy but can dent pipes.

HTH

A

Was just the end can...sorted now. The one on it is a tad noisy.

Hi davie.

How are you getting on with the k1300gt.

I was also thinking about one as well.

Cheers davey.

Hi davie.

How are you getting on with the k1300gt.

I was also thinking about one as well.

Cheers davey.

Only had one quick ride so far....turbine like power, very smooth. Ridiculously quick so watch your speedo....doesnt feel like you are at the speed you are! Seems comfy enough but until I do a longer trip I wont know for sure. Feels well put together and tbh IMHO is one of the best looking bikes BMW have produced.

Thank you the reply.

My main concern with the k1300 gt is leg room.
Iam 6.2.

Cheers davey

I'm 6' 4" tall, raise the seat and bars adjust the gear lever and away you go. I rode mine to Hereford from Cromarty in on day (530 miles each way) stopping only for food and petrol. I was tired but still able to walk when I arrived. Did the same on way home as well.

Hi all after a few months how are you all getting with your k1300gt.

Thank you David

Hi all after a few months how are you all getting with your k1300gt.

Thank you David

Rides like a dream....however the rust on the final drive was getting on my nerves so its now stripped and everything is being powder coated....including the wheels...will post pics when its finished.

Hi Davie.

Thank you for the reply.
Do you use it for 2 up at all ?
If so what is like for pillion and rider room, iam not the smallest.

I have used the k1100lt and the seat is just to short for both off us, believe it or not.
Althou i really like the way it handles very sure footed and planted, rides very smooth and nice power curve for 2 up. Unfortunatley just not enough room.

Prievious bike used was a 1150 gsa. but it now sold and need replacement for summer.

The above k1100 LTse is up for sale.

Hi Davie.

Thank you for the reply.
Do you use it for 2 up at all ?
If so what is like for pillion and rider room, iam not the smallest.

I have used the k1100lt and the seat is just to short for both off us, believe it or not.
Althou i really like the way it handles very sure footed and planted, rides very smooth and nice power curve for 2 up. Unfortunatley just not enough room.

Prievious bike used was a 1150 gsa. but it now sold and need replacement for summer.

The above k1100 LTse is up for sale.

Only been out once with pillion....no problem with room. Only issue was slightly slippy seats so put some grippy mesh on them to stop sliding forward under braking. All solved.

I had a problem with mine, over winter I upgraded the battery cables to sort the 'hot-start' problem, which it has done. First ride out I rode about 80 miles over to Gairloch and had some lunch, then the bike wouldn't idle, I could start it if I gave it a few revs and held it there.
Took it to local Motorrad in Inverness and mech sorted it with a new Idle Control Valve. I was out yesterday same route as before and it runs very well now.

Lovely bike, very comfortable very smooth and very fast.

Is that a kind of stepper motor?

From another thread:-

"The idle air control valve bypasses air around the closed throttle valve and sends it to the engine, allowing it to receive the air it needs to combust fuel while idle. The idle air control valve only works when the throttle body valve is closed."

Back
Top Bottom