Yorkshire/Lincolnshire Which dealer?

Just called in there today and the new building is going to be for the bike side only, at long last. A chat at the service desk and talking to a guy having his R1250GS serviced has convinced me not to go there. Think it’s going to be Allan Jefferies in Baildon for a couple of years then Rainbow Workshop at Broughton, plus DIY.

I recommend Barrie robson. Kevin and the team are excellent.

I recommend Barrie robson. Kevin and the team are excellent.
It’s funny how we all have different opinions of dealers and it’s no doubt down to experience. Out of the ones I’ve mentioned Barrie Robson’s would be last on my list because I’ve always felt ‘in the way’ like I was bothering them when I’ve called in. On two occasions when looking to buy a bike I’ve left and bought from Marshall (3 bikes) and Allan Jefferies (2 bikes). Robson’s always made feel like I should be grateful they were considering selling me a bike.

It’s funny how we all have different opinions of dealers and it’s no doubt down to experience. Out of the ones I’ve mentioned Barrie Robson’s would be last on my list because I’ve always felt ‘in the way’ like I was bothering them when I’ve called in. On two occasions when looking to buy a bike I’ve left and bought from Marshall (3 bikes) and Allan Jefferies (2 bikes). Robson’s always made feel like I should be grateful they were considering selling me a bike.

Have a read of some of the posts in this thread if you think main dealer services are the way forward (they used to be better in the early 2000’s)

Recall for pressure release valve on R12x0 post 2013
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...ead.php?t=584610&share_type=t&link_source=app

Have a read of some of the posts in this thread if you think main dealer services are the way forward (they used to be better in the early 2000’s)

Recall for pressure release valve on R12x0 post 2013
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...ead.php?t=584610&share_type=t&link_source=app
I don’t think main dealers are the way forward really. As said in my original post I haven’t been near one for nine years, servicing my previous R1200GS twin cam myself. The only reason for going to a main dealer is to be 100% sure regarding warranty cover. I changed the final drive oil on this one within a couple of weeks of getting it, just so I know it’s been done. Even though it’ll be getting a couple of main dealer services over the next couple of years I’ll still be checking stuff myself. I’d be interested in what Steve at Rainbow Works can do though, regarding things like cam timing checking.

I’d be interested to know when you last went in. Since Barrie has taken a step back, and Kev now runs it , it’s a lot better.

I’d be interested to know when you last went in. Since Barrie has taken a step back, and Kev now runs it , it’s a lot better.
Probably is much better if he’s out of the picture but he must have lost a lot of potential customers. Like I said though, my opinions are outdated because it’s over ten years ago that I was in the market buying a bike. I was in about six weeks ago though looking to buy a Nav6 and was told they are £675, after a bit of discussion they agreed I could have one for £600. Sycamore Motorrad are doing them at £489.95 inc delivery, which he wasn’t impressed with, £600 the best they could do.
It reminded me of years ago being in there, no deals.

Thats good to know that he has moved into our catchment area.

Ive used Marshalls for the last 3 years having sourced my bike from there.

On the service side Jess on the reception and Paul in the workshop. Jess being the mechanic aluded to above.

Jess has always been involved and helpful, tries to keep the bills down. Paul is very thorough and instills confidence in his work.

Things change as a result of direction and targets set higher up. But up to now I've been happy.

I think Paul is still there on the spanners.

Jess was always helpful and knowledgeable but has moved sideways, literally, into the car service reception desk.
There’s a new lass on the bike service desk , learning the ropes, but I’ve not had any dealings with her so can’t comment on how good/ bad she is.

The parts dept is hard work…they have no clue on bike bits. The latest recruit transferred across from the VW branch in Grimsby when it closed. Nice guy but seemingly they don’t train them up in all aspects of the parts dept so they struggle when asked about bikes.

I’d be interested in what Steve at Rainbow Works can do though, regarding things like cam timing checking.

Give him a ring, pop over to see him and he'll make you a brew and have a chat, without any obligations and then you can see for yourself

He services quite a few 1250's that are less than 3 years old, presently

Jess was always helpful and knowledgeable but has moved sideways, literally, into the car service reception desk.
There’s a new lass on the bike service desk , learning the ropes, but I’ve not had any dealings with her so can’t comment on how good/ bad she is.

Funny you should say that. When I left my bike for its service there was a new bike receptionist. Jess was sat monitoring on the other side of a screen next to her. She seemed a little bit unhappy in herself for some reason and was not her normal cheery self.

Funny you should say that. When I left my bike for its service there was a new bike receptionist. Jess was sat monitoring on the other side of a screen next to her. She seemed a little bit unhappy in herself for some reason and was not her normal cheery self.

Yes I got the impression she wasn’t happy about the move…
They seem to have gone through a lot of staff over the last 4-5 years. It seems to have turned very corporate, they all seem to be on a tight leash and can’t relax at all for fear of saying something that hasn’t been scripted by the marketing machine.

Yes I got the impression she wasn’t happy about the move…
They seem to have gone through a lot of staff over the last 4-5 years. It seems to have turned very corporate, they all seem to be on a tight leash and can’t relax at all for fear of saying something that hasn’t been scripted by the marketing machine.

It’s been like that for years. A pal of mine stopped using them when Marshall took over

It’s been like that for years. A pal of mine stopped using them when Marshall took over
Definitely changed for me when Marshall took over, Astles was quite relaxed with sales staff that knew their stuff and Richard in servicing that insisted on being introduced to every new customer. I went there first in 2007 looking for a R1200GS and ended up buying Richard’s own bike off him, a yellow 2006.

Just as an aside, and i don't know the specifics, but Marshall Kia in Scunthorpe has either lost or given up its Kia franchise and its now Drayton who have a few other dealerships. It also seems to have changed premises. It was not an insignificant dealership.
Having been tucked up by the servicing department on more than one occasion I shall shed no tears but they are not the only place to tuck me up either.

Try Paul at The Workshop, York. He's superb, a busy chap though, he does BSB and WSB suspension for Ohlins at weekends
He did a full service on my Africa Twin a couple of weeks ago. Faultless

https://www.theworkshopyork.com/

Quoting myself here......a few days after I posted the above, on checking the bike over I checked the engine oil several times as it seemed to either have non in, or be full to the top....it was pretty much the latter. I drained out well over 5 litres. The capacity inc filters in 4.1l. Upon checking both drain plugs, the telltale dab of paint/tipex that Paul uses on every bolt he slackens and tightens was only present on one, it appears he had only removed one drain bolt leaving upwards of a litre of the old oil in situ. Bugger. I sorted it with a fresh oil fill up and sent an (unanswered) email.
Fast forward to this morning, the morning after I'd had my first ride in many weeks and now resident in France and the bloody forks have pissed oil out all over the brakes. Paul also put stiffer springs in for me. 2nd email sent before I post a review (it won't be scathing or 'avoid', just an honest one making sure non BMW owners make sure he really does know the bike they present for service). I appreciate a fork seal can blow anytime and I presume that is what has happened but early ATs were a bit notorious for bad forks, mine had been fine for 23k miles, 2k miles after having 'upgrade' work on them...this happens.
What is a bit startling is that 4 years ago, he serviced my GSA and mentioned that he had done a few of the new Africa Twins, hence me using him for mine last year...I wonder if mine was a one off re him missing the twin drain plugs or whether they've all been overfilled.?

Shame about Jess at Marshall, she was excellent.

Personally I didn’t like Astles, only went to Marshall as my wife took her bike there for a service and was really impressed by Jess so took mine a couple of times.

I think Jess is back on the bike side. Last email I got regarding the drain plug recall on the swinging arm was from her.

Maybe they are trying to make the staff omnicompetent.

Quoting myself here......a few days after I posted the above, on checking the bike over I checked the engine oil several times as it seemed to either have non in, or be full to the top....it was pretty much the latter. I drained out well over 5 litres. The capacity inc filters in 4.1l. Upon checking both drain plugs, the telltale dab of paint/tipex that Paul uses on every bolt he slackens and tightens was only present on one, it appears he had only removed one drain bolt leaving upwards of a litre of the old oil in situ. Bugger. I sorted it with a fresh oil fill up and sent an (unanswered) email.
Fast forward to this morning, the morning after I'd had my first ride in many weeks and now resident in France and the bloody forks have pissed oil out all over the brakes. Paul also put stiffer springs in for me. 2nd email sent before I post a review (it won't be scathing or 'avoid', just an honest one making sure non BMW owners make sure he really does know the bike they present for service). I appreciate a fork seal can blow anytime and I presume that is what has happened but early ATs were a bit notorious for bad forks, mine had been fine for 23k miles, 2k miles after having 'upgrade' work on them...this happens.
What is a bit startling is that 4 years ago, he serviced my GSA and mentioned that he had done a few of the new Africa Twins, hence me using him for mine last year...I wonder if mine was a one off re him missing the twin drain plugs or whether they've all been overfilled.?

Not good to read, but I guess distractions can happen

Fork seals can be a bummer, a chap replaced mine on my Trials bike a couple of years ago and the week after, one leaked and he replaced the offending one FOC and no further bother

Paul at the Workshop has serviced my GS's a few times, in the past without issue............ but I now use Rainbow Workshop, as I know Steve personally and he's top notch

Back
Top Bottom