Yorkshire/Lincolnshire Which dealer?

tspivey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It’sbeen about nine years since I’ve had anything to do with dealers, servicing myself and ordering on line.
Now I have an R1250GS, not bought from a Motorrad dealer, I’ve decided dealer servicing until the warranty runs out, which is what I always do, I know it’s not necessary.
Within reasonable distance of Hull I have a choice of four dealers and am looking for recommendations and opinions.
My opinions may be outdated but they are as follows: Nearest first.
Marshalls of Laceby - I’ve had three GS’s from there, 2006, 2008 and 2011 but felt they became more profit concerned rather than customer focused when they changed from Astles and Richard the service manager left, about 12 years ago. The last 6k service I had there was £220 nine years ago.
Robsons in York - Never felt welcomed or comfortable in that place and the person in charge appears never to have had much interest in customers. Always top dollar prices. Went in recently and asked about a Nav 6, nothing appears to have changed.
Allan Jefferies in Rotherham - Used to be Rainbow, know nothing about them from Rainbow days.
Allan Jefferies in Baildon - Bought two BMW’s from them years ago, when we had family near there but felt very well looked after and always feel welcome if I call in. Been in three times since I got my 1250 and the same welcome and helpfulness every time. Just quoted me £140 for the same service as I had at Marshalls nine years ago. It’s the furthest away, about 70 odd miles.
Looks like I’ve made my mind up typing this but I’dstill like opinions of the others.

I always found MArshalls to be very good

It has been a while since i used them as i have not had a BMW for a few years but the lady technician was very good and happy for you to watch her work

It’sbeen about nine years since I’ve had anything to do with dealers, servicing myself and ordering on line.
Now I have an R1250GS, not bought from a Motorrad dealer, I’ve decided dealer servicing until the warranty runs out, which is what I always do, I know it’s not necessary.
Within reasonable distance of Hull I have a choice of four dealers and am looking for recommendations and opinions.
My opinions may be outdated but they are as follows: Nearest first.
Marshalls of Laceby - I’ve had three GS’s from there, 2006, 2008 and 2011 but felt they became more profit concerned rather than customer focused when they changed from Astles and Richard the service manager left, about 12 years ago. The last 6k service I had there was £220 nine years ago.
Robsons in York - Never felt welcomed or comfortable in that place and the person in charge appears never to have had much interest in customers. Always top dollar prices. Went in recently and asked about a Nav 6, nothing appears to have changed.
Allan Jefferies in Rotherham - Used to be Rainbow, know nothing about them from Rainbow days.
Allan Jefferies in Baildon - Bought two BMW’s from them years ago, when we had family near there but felt very well looked after and always feel welcome if I call in. Been in three times since I got my 1250 and the same welcome and helpfulness every time. Just quoted me £140 for the same service as I had at Marshalls nine years ago. It’s the furthest away, about 70 odd miles.
Looks like I’ve made my mind up typing this but I’dstill like opinions of the others.

Try Steve at Rainbow Workshop near Brigg
He is BMW’s trained and on 1250’s he uses genuine BMW service parts and also a barrel of genuine BMW 5/40 oil (bought direct from a main dealer) so all warranty is intact, for 1250’s
I use him and does superb work with great attention to detail
Last week stripped and cleaned all my brake callipers for a 6k service although it wasn’t strictly necessary

https://www.rainbowworkshop.co.uk

Thats good to know that he has moved into our catchment area.

Ive used Marshalls for the last 3 years having sourced my bike from there.

On the service side Jess on the reception and Paul in the workshop. Jess being the mechanic aluded to above.

Jess has always been involved and helpful, tries to keep the bills down. Paul is very thorough and instills confidence in his work.

Things change as a result of direction and targets set higher up. But up to now I've been happy.

Try Paul at The Workshop, York. He's superb, a busy chap though, he does BSB and WSB suspension for Ohlins at weekends
He did a full service on my Africa Twin a couple of weeks ago. Faultless

https://www.theworkshopyork.com/

I use Rainbow as they're the cheapest main dealer for me, possibly because I bought the bike from them 9 years ago and have always had it serviced there since. Big service on my 1200 TC was £220 last year, small service this week was £140.

A friend of mine also in Lincoln takes his much newer and posher GS to Astles and speaks very highly of them, particularly Jess (the mechanic).

I use Rainbow as they're the cheapest main dealer for me, possibly because I bought the bike from them 9 years ago and have always had it serviced there since. Big service on my 1200 TC was £220 last year, small service this week was £140.

A friend of mine also in Lincoln takes his much newer and posher GS to Astles and speaks very highly of them, particularly Jess (the mechanic).

Your friend obviously can’t be to bothered with Astles. They haven’t existed for about 20 years. :D.

Your friend obviously can’t be to bothered with Astles. They haven’t existed for about 20 years. :D.

Think it’s about 14/15 years but that’s when, I think, they went down hill a bit. Richard the excellent bike service manager left, MINi pinched the larger part of the showroom and bikes became a bit of an afterthought with sales staff that knew little about the bikes they were selling but could tell you all the options for for a 3 series or a MINI. It still feels to me that bikes are tolerated at the end of the showroom. All the other dealers mentioned are bike only.

He is BMW’s trained and on 1250’s he uses genuine BMW service parts and also a barrel of genuine BMW 5/40 oil (bought direct from a main dealer) so all warranty is intact, for 1250’s
Last week stripped and cleaned all my brake callipers for a 6k service although it wasn’t strictly necessary

Thanks for this, that’s good to know. I’ve wondered if there was an independent somewhere close.

It’s now Marshall’s, I fell out with the manager years ago, he tried to charge me for warranty work. Interestingly, they have just build a new building on site which would be good to put the bike side in.

Thanks for this, that’s good to know. I’ve wondered if there was an independent somewhere close.

25 mins from you at Hull, via the bridge & South Ferriby

Steve Trehearn, Rainbow Workshop, is your man without a doubt.

:beerjug:

It’s not Rainbow it’s Allan Jefferies now, the £140 you mentioned fits in with what their Baildon shop quoted me.

He's thorough and meticulous in his work :thumb

:beerjug:

Yep
He picked up a leaking left hand leaking inlet manifold and the need for an updated revised l/h cam chain tensioner at the service, 2 weeks ago
So bought the parts from Barrie Robson BMW and had them fitted this week @ Rainbow Workshop
Spot on now and with new Conti TA2 fitted last week, it’s like a new 1150 Adv @ 65000 miles young

It’s now Marshall’s, I fell out with the manager years ago, he tried to charge me for warranty work. Interestingly, they have just build a new building on site which would be good to put the bike side in.
Just called in there today and the new building is going to be for the bike side only, at long last. A chat at the service desk and talking to a guy having his R1250GS serviced has convinced me not to go there. Think it’s going to be Allan Jefferies in Baildon for a couple of years then Rainbow Workshop at Broughton, plus DIY.

Back
Top Bottom