Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: A wee spin to the 6 counties and the Free State.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Blog Entries
    Thursday: Home time. So obviously the sun was shining as I set off towards Dublin.
    The Sat Nav took me through Limerick, a place I've always known as Stab City but it looked lovely to me, and right past the Gaelic Grounds, season just finished but already preparing for next year. I love a sports ground so I popped in on the way through - shame I wasn't here a few weeks ago for the party (though I was rooting for Kilkenny).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Blog Entries
    I had a little time to spare as I got to the outskirts of Dublin and as there's a place I've wanted to see for a long time now seemed like a great chance to finally do it.
    The catalyst for the trip was to pay respect to my dad and leave a small tribute to his life so why not round off the trip by calling in to pay my respects to another great Irishman?
    I was really surprised given my understanding at the importance of Wolfe Tone at how understated the entrance to Bodenstown churchyard is and shocked at the tatty state of his memorial. If you didn't know it was there you wouldn't know it was there. No flags on the flagpole, weeds growing around it and generally scruffy. What a shame.
    Have I missed the point? Is it part of history the Republic would rather forget now they have their freedom or am I just a foolish outsider romanticising a forgotten time?

Blog Entries
    Off to port I went. I decided, given the relatively cheap cost of fuel here and the abundance of E10, to fill up before getting back to Wales. There's a fuel station at Dublin Port which was no more expensive than anywhere else so if you're heading this way that's the place to top up.
    While I was in the ferry queue I got chatting to a young man from Larne and his 14 year old son who were on an 850 (I think?) GS. The dad had recently moved over to this from an R1 and he and his lad were on their 2nd holiday of the summer, on the bike - they were going to 3 theme parks in England then the Moto GP at Silverstone. It was really wonderful to see how excited they both were about this trip and future trips to be looked forward to. Health to enjoy chaps.
    Once again I'd pre-ordered a meal o the ferry, it really is excellent value and very tasty and as we approached Holyhead I got ny 1st glimpse of the weather my dear, darling wife had been gloating about all week.

Great ride report, Tommy and excellent photos. I must call you to task, though, on your choice of ‘Ireland’s greatest wordsmiths’.

Worrabout Samuel Becket, Oscar Wilde, Brendan Behan…to name but a few?

Love Connemara. Great report
    What we need are clearly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simondippenhall View Post
    Great ride report, Tommy and excellent photos. I must call you to task, though, on your choice of ‘Ireland’s greatest wordsmiths’.

Worrabout Samuel Becket, Oscar Wilde, Brendan Behan…to name but a few?
    Thank you for your kind words. Of course Becket, Wilde and Behan were good, but were they McGowan good? I think we both know the answer to that.

We both know the answer: and mine is - Beckett .

But the great virtue of motorcycling is: ‘Each unto his own ‘.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mzokk View Post
    Love Connemara. Great report
    Thank you also. Let's be honest though it's average in the extreme compared to most of the ride reports on here and the photos are pretty poor as well given the spectacular scenery of the area.
    But you're all very kind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simondippenhall View Post
    We both know the answer: and mine is - Beckett .

But the great virtue of motorcycling is: ‘Each unto his own ‘.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Conclusion.
    It was a trip that I'd ummed and aaahed about for some time given the lack and cost of available accommodation.
    Last minute circumstances gave me an unexpected week off work so I thought 'why not' and I'm pleased I did.
    What did I learn?
    1) If you're going to go to Ireland best to go June/early July or September ( perhaps avoid the 12th of July if you're heading north).
    2) Contact Nutt travel to book your ferry, they seem to do good deals.
    3) If you're going Holyhead to Dublin with Stena pre-book a 2 course meal at £12.20, you're sitting there for 3 and a half hours and the food is very good so why not. I'd also pay the extra £10 to access the quiet lounge and keep away from the masses.
    4) Petrol in Ireland is currently much cheaper than the UK and E5 is readily available.
    5) Fill up at the Dublin port both going into and out of Ireland.
    6) If possible don't pre-book your accommodation, give yourself the freedom to stop, look, relax and enjoy the wonderful sights you'll see along the way.
    7) If you're doing the WAW don't over estimate the daily mileage you'll do. You'll be surprised how slowly they pass and how quickly the day will disappear.
    8) And this will be controversial so I apologise but in my experience if you have limited time and want to see the best bits of the WAW, based on what I've seen so far start in Muff and go anti clockwise as far as Killybegs before scooting down to Westport and carrying on from there.

It's been a cathartic trip for me. I lost my dog last year and have really struggled since. Going 'home' if I might be so bold as to call it that, spending time with friends and relatives, and particularly revisiting my relationship with my dad has lifted some clouds.

It was wonderful being back in Ireland but hasn't it changed enormously over the years? I love 'Old Ireland' and I'm delighted it's still there to be found but I also love the modern Ireland I saw today. No longer weighed down by the past it felt open, youthful, vibrant, optimistic and European rather than an inward looking, insular, forgotten remnant of the British Empire as it seemed to be when I was much, much younger. Some of the changes aren't as good as others, how did the cities get so big and the traffic in and around them so hideous? But it's a wonderful place; a place the Irish should be very proud of.

I can't wait to go back. Co.s Galway and Clare are calling me.

Thank you, Bill... I thoroughly enjoyed your trip and your photos have certainly given me something to think about for a trip sometime in the future!

Thanks for your insightful RR and has helped me this week in Ireland to check out some sights
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barak666 View Post
    Thank you, Bill... I thoroughly enjoyed your trip and your photos have certainly given me something to think about for a trip sometime in the future!
    Likewise with your fabulous report, thank you. We'll certainly have plenty to chew over at our next breakfast meeting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    Thanks for your insightful RR and has helped me this week in Ireland to check out some sights
    My pleasure, thanks for you kind comments and additional photos. Gonna add some more and a few words of your own?

nothing wrong with visiting or revisiting memories

did exactly that meself last week just because i wanted to visit places i hadnt

id say watch about booking stuff july and august - wouldnt just turn up to places i would book

wanted to stay at a place in the north id been to numerous times before and they were 3 times the price they normally were in june

another place i stayed at booking.com had it at 100+ airbnb was half that

rocking up to places no problem in june or september

agree gas is chape too and E5 plentful also and arsehole of rural not crazy prices like they used to be just watch sundays and evenings to not be caught out

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn View Post
    My pleasure, thanks for you kind comments and additional photos. Gonna add some more and a few words of your own?
    I may well do, just back tonight

Back there in 3 weeks time
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789