Rt 2005 Gear issues

andy5329

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
Currently riding a 2005 Rt1200 which I bought of the forum. Its been a great bike for what I need it for, couple of issues and money spent out due to the age.
I now have a new problem with the gears. My commute is 230 miles every two weeks on motorways and A roads.
Once I've ridden the bike for approx 20 mins it will not move down the gears. Ill get in 4,5 or 6 once left for short time it will not down shift. I've double clutched, tried all sorts of ways and it wont do anything, then it will decide to allow the gear to move but no set time for this.
Ive replaced the two washers on the gear lever as they were corroded ,BMW seems to think could be an expensive fix.
Has anyone had this problem before?
Im not flush with cash and sending to BM for a full gear/clutch overhaul is more than then bikes worth.
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Currently riding a 2005 Rt1200 which I bought of the forum. Its been a great bike for what I need it for, couple of issues and money spent out due to the age.
I now have a new problem with the gears. My commute is 230 miles every two weeks on motorways and A roads.
Once I've ridden the bike for approx 20 mins it will not move down the gears. Ill get in 4,5 or 6 once left for short time it will not down shift. I've double clutched, tried all sorts of ways and it wont do anything, then it will decide to allow the gear to move but no set time for this.
Ive replaced the two washers on the gear lever as they were corroded ,BMW seems to think could be an expensive fix.
Has anyone had this problem before?
Im not flush with cash and sending to BM for a full gear/clutch overhaul is more than then bikes worth.
Thanks in advance.

You sure its not the bush that the gear lever sits on. Normally seizes up in winter however if its gunged up and getting hot it may be that? Does the gear lever return to its standard position when changing gears?

You sure its not the bush that the gear lever sits on. Normally seizes up in winter however if its gunged up and getting hot it may be that? Does the gear lever return to its standard position when changing gears?

Hi Orbit,
I've changed the two bushes out as they were split and cleaned the whole area. The gear leaver was sticking but since cleaning and replacing it moves back into standard position.
Forgot to mention not sure if associated but the gear indicator does not display correct gear and rarely shows neutral.

pic

Nylon bush?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-181838.jpg
    Screenshot_20220730-181838.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 187
Looking at the picture there is other parts I could take off and replace. That webpage is great.

Looks more like 8?

I've ordered No 8 and 9.
Will update once home to sort. The general consensus for the boxer gear box is it goes on and on, so fingers crossed its a simple washer fix.

i had the same issue on my 2007 RT. i spray GT-85/WD40 all over the linkage (as shown in the parts pic) and cleaned it all with an old toothbrush. problem went away

i had the same issue on my 2007 RT. i spray GT-85/WD40 all over the linkage (as shown in the parts pic) and cleaned it all with an old toothbrush. problem went away

Thanks , I’ve ordered the bushes and will strip down, general consensus it’s this. So fingers crossed and hopefully many more miles left to do on it.

Thanks to everyone for the input.The issue has been sorted it was a gunged up bar that hold the gear lever.Full degrease, clean and lube its now working perfect.A massive thank you for the help.I was honestly thinking the bike would have to go to the scrapers.Heres to another 50,000 on it!

Back
Top Bottom