Driveshaft vent service campaign - good workmanship by Bahnstormer Alton or not?

New one bought start of June and it was fitted, but...
The rubber valve disappeared. Awaiting info on replacement

No NBU 30 Stuburags been used on that, you can’t miss it, it’s white and very sticky! Here’s mine for comparison, just before installation

The outer face isn't part of the sealing surface, so that coverage might be a little overkill, but agreed, it's nigh on impossible to apply the Starubags without it being visible when you gently peel back the lip.

At least it drains......:rolleyes:

The outer face isn't part of the sealing surface, so that coverage might be a little overkill, but agreed, it's nigh on impossible to apply the Starubags without it being visible when you gently peel back the lip.

Agreed, it was overkill, but then, I had plenty to spare and another 2 kilo to collect in France next week ;)
Unfortunately, my 2016 GSA, at less than 5 k miles, when I bought it and otherwise looking very clean, (privately on here) was one of those with the driveshaft firmly rusted to the rear drive and I had to take the rear diff off, complete with drive shaft, before I finally managed to split them, hence some reasoning for the overkill.

Agreed, it was overkill, but then, I had plenty to spare and another 2 kilo to collect in France next week ;)
Unfortunately, my 2016 GSA, at less than 5 k miles, when I bought it and otherwise looking very clean, (privately on here) was one of those with the driveshaft firmly rusted to the rear drive and I had to take the rear diff off, complete with drive shaft, before I finally managed to split them, hence some reasoning for the overkill.

Thanks again for the provisioning of the white uber-goop for the forum John!

Thanks again for the provisioning of the white uber-goop for the forum John!

More coming, if you need any, contact me after my return to UK on 3rd Sept (but before 13th, off on bike trip to Germany/Czech Republic:)

Which makes me wonder why Bahnstormer Alton service told me that there should be no rubber bung in the hole?
My bike is Dec21 and came with a hole drilled but no bung…
New one bought start of June and it was fitted, but...
The rubber valve disappeared. Awaiting info on replacement

For what its worth, I had similar issues with a Nov 21 build bike. The issue was that the valve was too loose & kept on disappearing inside the swinging arm - just leaving the hole. I suspects your valve is in there somewhere!

Which makes me wonder why Bahnstormer Alton service told me that there should be no rubber bung in the hole?
My bike is Dec21 and came with a hole drilled but no bung…

Reply from dealer:

I have checked with the technician and it does look like the rubber bung has come out of the hole.

We do have them in stock so you are more than welcome to call in at some point and we will get one of our technicians to re fit it for you?

Mine definitely had a rubber plug fitted when I bought it, so goodness only knows where it went, looked a bit like a squared off ducks bill

I do wonder where dealers get their info from???
I suppose I have to go back to Bahnstormer again.
Which dealer where you speaking to?
Reply from dealer:

I have checked with the technician and it does look like the rubber bung has come out of the hole.

We do have them in stock so you are more than welcome to call in at some point and we will get one of our technicians to re fit it for you?

Mine definitely had a rubber plug fitted when I bought it, so goodness only knows where it went, looked a bit like a squared off ducks bill

Called into nearest dealer on way home today
Booked in for replacement rubber valve on warranty
Tech said he had had to replace a couple on factory fitted bikes already. Valves were inside rear drive. The rubber valve only has a flange on the upper inside section and can be pushed up into the shaft from underneath quite easily....so take care washing the drive shaft
It will be final drive off job as they fit them from inside. He also said on the previous replacement ones he'd done, he araldited the inner face of the flange to make them more resistant to being accidentally pushed back inside
They were really good about it, seeing as I didn't buy the bike off them

I do wonder where dealers get their info from???
I suppose I have to go back to Bahnstormer again.
Which dealer where you speaking to?

Williams in Manchester were the dealer I purchased the bike from, and the e mail reply was from them - 110 mile round trip

Called into Halliwell Jones Motarrad in Chester today - 33 mile round trip

Both were more than helpful

Does anyone know the real details of this mod? seems like an awful lot of speculation and misinformation (normal fir a motorcycle forum).

Is it simply a drain hole with a bung? or something more sophisticated. I can't believe the 'rubber valve' theory, how would that work?

Does anyone know the real details of this mod? seems like an awful lot of speculation and misinformation (normal fir a motorcycle forum).

Is it simply a drain hole with a bung? or something more sophisticated. I can't believe the 'rubber valve' theory, how would that work?

Like a self bailer on a sailing dinghy or a 2 stroke reed valve, it’s a simple none return valve (a rubber diode for you :))

I gather that the bung is beak shaped with a slot facing down, any water that gets into the swing arm tube will be shaken out by the upward movement of the swing arm over bumps, the rubber valve will not allow water into the swing arm tube

Back
Top Bottom