Driveshaft vent service campaign - good workmanship by Bahnstormer Alton or not?

I left my new (used) 1250 at the dealership for ten days whilst I was away in Poland for a warranty repair job (oil leak) and presumed they would do the drain modification job as well whilst it was sat there for so long, but alas no.

Presumably it’s only done during a routine service visit?

Hopefully it will get done at next years service.

Like a self bailer on a sailing dinghy or a 2 stroke reed valve, it’s a simple none return valve (a rubber diode for you :))

I gather that the bung is beak shaped with a slot facing down, any water that gets into the swing arm tube will be shaken out by the upward movement of the swing arm over bumps, the rubber valve will not allow water into the swing arm tube

That's about the sum of it

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/582969-BMW-1250-Technical-Recall

Post #8

Like a self bailer on a sailing dinghy or a 2 stroke reed valve, it’s a simple none return valve (a rubber diode for you :))

I gather that the bung is beak shaped with a slot facing down, any water that gets into the swing arm tube will be shaken out by the upward movement of the swing arm over bumps, the rubber valve will not allow water into the swing arm tube

Thanks, I think I get the idea now :) the very narrow slot in the bottom looks like it will be blocked by crud very easily but I guess BMW have thoroughly tested it.

Thanks, I think I get the idea now :) the very narrow slot in the bottom looks like it will be blocked by crud very easily but I guess BMW have thoroughly tested it.

The Touratech super valve will be along shortly at 89.99 plus p&p :D

Lightbulb moment! :)

Venturi effect, as the air rushes past the thin slot in the bottom of the ‘valve’, the pressure is reduced and any water inside is sucked out - assuming that some air can get in elsewhere else. This valve had better be a nice tight fit in the drilled hole for it to work.

Well that’s my hypothesis. :)

I don't like the idea of the valve falling into the driveshaft housing. If somebody designes "super valve", Touratech or AliExpress, I'll be getting one.

I'll just shufty through my garage stock of consumables to find a suitable adhesive and just glue the fucker into place.

To be fair to Bahnstormer Alton as it is a very busy dealership, I just rang them with a complaint regarding my driveshaft and they were brilliant:

I hit a cats eye in the road and felt a massive thump underseat like the suspension handn’t been able to react in time. On inspection nothing seemed amiss so I decided to split the FD knuckle to check the paralever articulation/range of motion and lube the splines with Moly60 paste. On trying to hinge the FD down it was solid. I put a brass drift into the shaft knuckle to stop the shaft pulling off the gearbox end splines, then bolted a 4ft long length of unistrut to the FD casting as a lever and couldn’t move it, it was seized solid onto the driveshaft. I rebuilt it and explained this to Bahnstormer and they took it straight in the workshop next day after I dropped it off to them. They intend to inspect it and do the shaft tunnel drain modification this week as and when they get a gap in the bikes already booked in, and if they can’t split the FD and shaft it will be replaced under warranty. Hopefully I should have it back within a week as I have a tour coming up soon.

My 2020 reg 1250GS is at the dealers for the 24m service and ....yes the bevel gear is rusted solid to the universal joint on the drive shaft. Parts ordered and should be replaced tomorrow. Then have to do the 600 miles service again before I head off to Morocco on 8th Sept. Probably going to do about 4500 miles....why am I worried all of a sudden?

Just glad my 2016 1200gs with 25k on the clock has had this mod whilst bike still under under warranty. Bike went into Halliwell Jones Motorrad Chester for a new front shock, (another story). They advised about the recall and I let them crack on with it. Turns out the shaft was stuck solid on the final drive. New shaft and complete Bevel Box. Not far off £3K of work including the front shock. Bought the bike from Chester Motorrad last December hence the warranty. I know you pay more for a bike at the dealers but so glad I didn't buy privately. Result as far as I'm concerned, just see how long before the valve disappears!

Same story for me today, picked up my GSA with the shaft tunnel mod completed by Bahnstormer Alton, they had trouble as expected with the rusted splines so fitted a new FD unit, shaft and rear gaiter to it and made sure the new shaft splines were lubed on assembly. Also checked my rear shock which was fine. The ride home felt smoother with a softer suspension feel. Quality service, very pleased.

Same story for me today, picked up my GSA with the shaft tunnel mod completed by Bahnstormer Alton, they had trouble as expected with the rusted splines so fitted a new FD unit, shaft and rear gaiter to it and made sure the new shaft splines were lubed on assembly. Also checked my rear shock which was fine. The ride home felt smoother with a softer suspension feel. Quality service, very pleased.

I paid for a strip and lube last service, they had problems, but managed to free it off ... i should have left it lol

I paid for a strip and lube last service, they had problems, but managed to free it off ... i should have left it lol

A pity you can’t go skip diving behind their workshop, probably enough decent scrapped used parts to keep a GS running for decades.

The previous owner of my bike had put a small ding mark into the FD outer casting so I’m lucky to have it replaced under warranty and no more ding.

I used to work for a BMW main dealer. And i've obviously done LOADS of recalls and campaigns of every description.

The dealer gets paid very little for recalls. And the scope is to only do what the campaign says. Nothing else.

If the campaign doesn't say to check your shaft, boot etc, then why would they ?? Sods law is when you go the extra mile to help a customer out, something will break or fall off. And then it's your fault and you to fix it. Generally in your lunch hour.

However, BMW main dealers are generally SHIT. "Technicians" are often only qualified with cornflake box certificates handed out by BMW's own academy for simply swearing allegiance to the Fuhrer.

No f**Ks are given. Would you like a coisssant with your £200 oil change sir ?

I used to work for a BMW main dealer. And i've obviously done LOADS of recalls and campaigns of every description.

The dealer gets paid very little for recalls. And the scope is to only do what the campaign says. Nothing else.

If the campaign doesn't say to check your shaft, boot etc, then why would they ?? Sods law is when you go the extra mile to help a customer out, something will break or fall off. And then it's your fault and you to fix it. Generally in your lunch hour.

However, BMW main dealers are generally SHIT. "Technicians" are often only qualified with cornflake box certificates handed out by BMW's own academy for simply swearing allegiance to the Fuhrer.

No f**Ks are given. Would you like a coisssant with your £200 oil change sir ?
All that's been said here is true. I worked as mechanic at one of the world's biggest brand car dealers and my experience was the same. The biggest rip-off was always at scheduled services. It was like 45 critical points to be checked, besides new oil and filters. 1,5 hours to do the job. The truth was, 20 minutes job, oil and filters and no "critical points" at all.
Of course, customers paid astronomical price for the service.

Hmmm, I asked for the splines to be cleaned and greased and they fobbed me off with 'oh it's all included'. Turns it wasn't and they didn't carry out my request for which I was happy to pay for. They talked to me like I was wasting my time asking.

Back
Top Bottom