Travelling 2 Up With Camping Kit - R1250 GSA

We Make Life A Ride

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just after some thoughts/ideas/tips on best ways and best kit to use for 2up traveling on a R1250 GSA. Bike has 2x Givi 38l Panniers and the 46l top box. Though could potentially removed the t op box to accomodate the tent/sleep bag/matt etc as an option

EDIT: For UK/Europe Travel - most likely 80/20.

I've not put a ton of thought into this yet but am already thinking:

tent
sleep bags
camp mats
cooking kit
2x chairs (small fold up fishing/camping type)
clothes
small amount of food

Will it:

a) all fit
b) be safe
c) be enjoyable

So keen to hear from anyone that has experience of travelling in this way.

Thanks.

Put it all on your bike and get it right by trial and error. Do this a week before you travel then you can fine tune it
by seeing what you really need. You'll also get a feel of which is the best way to load up.
I see you're taking the missus, beware as they have form for taking too much luggage. Oh, and depending where
you're first campsite is, don't forget a bottle of your favorite tipple. Good health and enjoy.

Perfectly possible if you only take what you need. People have done huge trips all around the globe two up on these bikes,
Isn’t that the purpose of them ???

Pile it up.

I regularly go camping 2 up with all the gear and kitchen sink.

i have Givi 36 & 46Ltr with a outback 58ltr box.
I take off the top box and replace with a 60ltr and 40ltr Lomo Bags
and stick it on top of the rack

the bike rides like its carrying nothing.

That 58ltr top box is gigantic. I ordered it then sent it back and exchanged for the 46ltr instead. Still cavernous but I look less like the pizza boy now. In all seriousness though I can see how the large wide lid of the box would work for storing tent etc without any sagging on either side.

Thanks for the suggestion ref the large lomo bags. I think I'll start to pile it up as Barnoe says and practice a little while before my journey like brutt33 says.

And absolutely need to leave space for the whisky!

Providing you get all the right gear(lightweight) it should be ok. We got rid of the top box and used a roll bag, just to save weight.

Attachments

• 466DAC17-CF1F-4A1B-976F-2877E817D7E5.jpg
    466DAC17-CF1F-4A1B-976F-2877E817D7E5.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 479
  • A45F8498-AFC9-48D2-89D6-4EF18887D0A3.jpg
    A45F8498-AFC9-48D2-89D6-4EF18887D0A3.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 485
I did it once 2 up with the lightest gear known to man. Wouldn’t do it again...2 up is so much nicer with a B&B.

However just you camping - now that’s a different story :D

I always split the tent material and poles as it's "normally" the poles that will constrain the mounting location. With the pole removed from the tent bag (don't forget to pack them now) you can place them where you want.

B & B / hotel. Would never camp , especially when 2 up. Wife will not be happy. It will spoil your holiday with all the moaning about the lack of clothing etc

I should point out that camping is the norm for us. So no issues whatsoever there. Just not done on the bike before.

Here is a pic of mine in camp mode 2 up

Attachments

• 5E6E93C8-5F20-4878-8D83-830AB4AF4201.jpg
    5E6E93C8-5F20-4878-8D83-830AB4AF4201.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 456
We did tens of thousands of miles two up camping on a twin cam gsa. You need to get a bit creative but over time we nded up with this:

Tent, pegs, Helinox chairs, waterproofs and a few small odds and end directly into the small pannier. Just stuff the tent in, no bag. No voids that way.

Stove, gas, plates cups, etc etc plus some basic food in the big pannier. Beer/ whisky/ G&T in here too. Oh and some water possibly. This stuff is heavy but the pannier was never more than 2/3 full.

Exped Sleeping mats rolled wide plus sheet and down duvet, blow up pillows, down jackets and tent poles in a big dry bag on the rear rack. Poles and mats give the bag structure so it ties down easier. Use 2 wide Rokstraps to tie down. The bag was big and full but not excessively so and was surprisingly light - about 5kg I reckon.

Clothes and whatever in a GS dry bag on top of each pannier. I have the big one on account my size 12s.

Small tank bag for disc lock, documents, chargers, sweets, sunglasses, etc.

This keeps the light stuff on the rack and the heavy stuff in the panniers. I also worked out a way to strap a couple of very small Kriega dry bags (3l bags from their waist pack) to the screen subframe above the indicators. These, along with the Touratech bar bags had first aid kit and spare gloves, and some other stuff.

One trip I tried a Rotopax water carrier on the rack with the dry bag strapped to it. This made for a nice wife base but with 4litres of water in it was too heavy and upset the bike.

You need to be sure your shocks are up to carrying all this weight. My bike improved no end after fitting Wilbers shocks specc’d for our weight plus all that luggage. It takes a few hundred miles to get used to the weight and the drop in performance but after that the bike rides perfectly well.

These bikes are awesome at lugging all that weight.

Backpackers advice ... make sure you can get to the tent without unpacking anything else, it might just be pissing down!

Back
Top Bottom