Luggage Musings & What Not To Pack??

iain1067

Reaction score
So it's been a while since I last toured and I thinking of doing Slovenia (where I live) overnighting in Czech then on up to Colditz. I may even venture back to blighty depending on how we get on. So I have 3 Vario boxes which I am sure I can fill with stuff and tools etc, so first question is do folks leave their boxes on the bike overnight or remove them?

Second question is I am after a couple of roll bags to go on top of the sides boxes any recommendations?

Lastly what's a waste of space given that space is at a premium!

Cheers

Iain

me ...

my boxes bolt or lock on , i camp , boxes stay on unless i need to sit on them.

i lay out everything i THINK i want to take .
get the panniers and load them . too much to go in ?
unload them , remove stuff i don't actually need .
reload them , sort out what i can do without .
repeat till you are not quite full.

i did round the coast of britain , a few years ago , i came back with a bag i never opened.

what i need for a weekend, is similar for what i need for a week , what i need for a month , is about the same as a week.

things have to do 2 things where possible. clothes can be washed , or thrown away/donated . take old t-shirts and socks , you can clean the bike with them when used , and bin them = more room =less weight.
merino base layers , last 3-4 days before needing washing , i wash them in the shower , they dry really quickly , and pack really small.

i carry a min of 2 lts of water , and snack bars . and a days worth of army rations , these can be heated or eaten cold .

bags ontop of panniers ? i don't do that , i used to , but when you are tired , you will catch your foot on them getting on/off the bike , plus they aren't secure from light fingers .

when bike is loaded , i go out for a couple of hours to get used to the weight , and change in handling.

don't for get to have a ride at night to get your lights in the right place.

when you get home , unpack , and see what you didn't use.

it takes a couple of trips to fine tune it .

heavy things at the bottom , daily stuff in the topbox. money /camera's/phone/glasses, in the tankbag ( magnetic) so you can whip it off quickly .

Unsure whether to remove panniers at night?

Hedge your bets by removing just one.

I think if you're going to Colditz it would be a good idea to pack a civilian suit (converted from a military uniform) with maps of Germany printed on the lining and a large quantity of currency sewn in as well. Equipment to produce forged documents seemed to be very handy for earlier residents and could no doubt be sold for a lot of cigarettes

Pack the minimum you need to get by, not the maximum/luxuries. Pack the must have stuff first to gauge your space taken up. And remember to leave some room for anything you may buy, or need storage for drink/food etc.

Just buy the biggest alloy panniers you can find, add extra bags on top and fill them up to the gunwhales

Phone, pants and a credit card

you can manage with just a topbox if you leave any self loading luggage at home

Sensible answer ,I would leave the boxes on the bike and just take out what you need for that stop , however, do not leave anything that you cannot afford to have nicked in the boxes, ie cameras, tablets, laptops, documentation, cash and prescription medication.

WE carry a removable bag in the top box and it has the above stuff, plus toiletries in it and the clothing needed for that particular stop , rest stays locked in the panniers

I think if you're going to Colditz it would be a good idea to pack a civilian suit (converted from a military uniform) with maps of Germany printed on the lining and a large quantity of currency sewn in as well. Equipment to produce forged documents seemed to be very handy for earlier residents and could no doubt be sold for a lot of cigarettes

Youre not taking the OP's dilemma seriously are you....hence why it made me laugh thanks. :D

It made me laugh as I used to play the board game and I have now watched the TV series at least 3 times so well done mate

What’s a waste of space? Anything that you’ve carefully stuffed into all and any available spaces and then never use.

My tips are:

Work out how many days you plan to be away, which dictates (to some degree or another) what clothes you’ll need to take. Then work out if you’ll get any chance to do any washing over the duration of the trip AND get it dried. If washing (and drying) works, then you can reduce the number of clothes accordingly. Remember, you’ll not be meeting royalty on your jaunt. Obviously, clothes that can double up (for example a fleece) that can be used on and off the bike, will have an advantage over clothes that have one use only.

The golden rule is: Halve the stuff you cart about and double your money. How do you do this? Simple. Pack once. Then unpack and lob half of it away. Repack. Repeat until you are happy.

Tools? You won’t be changing the gearbox (or oil) on the side of the road, so don’t prepare as if you will be. If you know how use to tools on your bike, then you won’t need to ask anyone here what tools to take.

When you come back, make a simple note of what you used and what you didn’t use. Use that note for next time.

You’ll be fine. Have a great holiday.

My 8 days away : what could I have not taken. The 2 extra lighters I never knew I had. The tool roll and tools. The small compressor. The tyre pressure guage the second power bank. 4 pairs of underwear, 2 pairs socks. My mini radio with no useable battery life, 3 t shirts, 1 extra spoon I found in the food bag, 2 small waterproof bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re riding solo and not camping and have enough stuff to fill two panniers and a top box, then you have too much stuff.

35 litre and 31 litre panniers plus a 4 litre tank bag were enough to get from London to Beijing, with temperatures from -4 to +37 and snow to blistering sunshine.

Less really is more…

So it's been a while since I last toured and I thinking of doing Slovenia (where I live) overnighting in Czech then on up to Colditz. I may even venture back to blighty depending on how we get on. So I have 3 Vario boxes which I am sure I can fill with stuff and tools etc,

…..so first question is do folks leave their boxes on the bike overnight or remove them?

The answer is out there.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/207260-Do-you-remove-vario-panniers-overnight

I haven’t yet found the follow-up ‘Do you remove your underpants?’ thread.

taking this seriously then this is my kit list for staying in hotel etc, if camping then add tent and airbed, small torch
having just ridden down to faro and back I will include as essential insulated water bottle, tried a camel back and within an hour the water was so hot you couldn't drink it, water in my brothers Sho bottle stayed cold all day.

2 x underwear, socks, t shirt
1 x lightweight trousers
1 x lightweight shoes/trainers etc
1 x lightweight fleece/down etc jacket doubles up as riding kit or wear off bike kit
1x hat
1 x towel
1 x wash kit
tools and spares if you think you need anything
Breakdown cover ;-)
vehicle docs
medical insurance

riding gear
water proofs
Buff
spare gloves

phone charger lead multi head type, 1 lead to charge everything
phone
Camera if phone no good
kindle
wallet

School boy error for me should have searched first, mind you this has been very handy to say the least, I am only half way through the link that Wapping put omg

Back
Top Bottom