Potential Spring purchase.

GSTourer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I sold my 2017 GS about 6 weeks or so ago with a view to giving up biking altogether.

However, I do miss having a bike just to bimble out on even if only for an hour to get a coffee. It is unlikely I will ride on motorways.

With that said I have been looking around and the V7 Special (latest model) has taken my eye.

I won't be buying until next spring (no point having it sitting in the garage over winter etc) so there is no rush re test ride etc. I am relatively tall at 6'1" (34" inside leg) so am wondering if it is going to be too small for me to be comfortable on.

I know I won't know for sure until I do ride one but having said that does anyone who has got one/ridden one have any comments/observations as to what they are like/reliability/quality etc.

Many thanks. :thumb2

I sold my 2017 GS about 6 weeks or so ago with a view to giving up biking altogether.

However, I do miss having a bike just to bimble out on even if only for an hour to get a coffee. It is unlikely I will ride on motorways.

With that said I have been looking around and the V7 Special (latest model) has taken my eye.

I won't be buying until next spring (no point having it sitting in the garage over winter etc) so there is no rush re test ride etc. I am relatively tall at 6'1" (34" inside leg) so am wondering if it is going to be too small for me to be comfortable on.

I know I won't know for sure until I do ride one but having said that does anyone who has got one/ridden one have any comments/observations as to what they are like/reliability/quality etc.

Many thanks. :thumb2

I had one and I think you will find it too small/low. Test ride definitely needed. Great little bike though. I used an airhawk seat pad fully inflated to raise the seat height but thats not really a long term fix.

I’ve had three different V7 as Loan bikes. Did 250ish miles on each one. Very nice, cool, but a bit slow slow in the cut and thrust of a fast open road, and small. I’m 6’2”, the seat is very low which is ok but the pegs are right under the seat so I felt like I was squatting on it - sore knees from the bend and with most of your weight squarely through your bum the soft seat soon gets uncomfortable. The suspension is dire.

The bike is great at what I think it’s designed for: suburban riding to your local espresso bar, or gentle country lane swinging. You’ll want the full hipster look and vibe to get the most from it.

The latest E5 models are a significant improvement on the older models - waaay more low down torque from the 850cc engine. I had one for three months while my v85 was being repaired. Holding 60mph for more than a few miles is still hard work - for you not the bike. Motorways would be horrid.

Suspension upgrades at both ends including a ride height raise, Highway pegs and a small screen would all be improvements I would consider. But the V9 may already have these so look at those too.

Despite all that I really liked riding them. Cool bikes for sure.

V85TT (which I have) is significantly better but lacks the urban cool.

I’ve had three different V7 as Loan bikes. Did 250ish miles on each one. Very nice, cool, but a bit slow slow in the cut and thrust of a fast open road, and small. I’m 6’2”, the seat is very low which is ok but the pegs are right under the seat so I felt like I was squatting on it - sore knees from the bend and with most of your weight squarely through your bum the soft seat soon gets uncomfortable. The suspension is dire.

The bike is great at what I think it’s designed for: suburban riding to your local espresso bar, or gentle country lane swinging. You’ll want the full hipster look and vibe to get the most from it.

The latest E5 models are a significant improvement on the older models - waaay more low down torque from the 850cc engine. I had one for three months while my v85 was being repaired. Holding 60mph for more than a few miles is still hard work - for you not the bike. Motorways would be horrid.

Suspension upgrades at both ends including a ride height raise, Highway pegs and a small screen would all be improvements I would consider. But the V9 may already have these so look at those too.

Despite all that I really liked riding them. Cool bikes for sure.

Thanks Austin, that's really helpful and confirms a couple of the doubts I have about the bike for me.

I am very pleased with my Triumph T120 as a bimbling machine (but I also did a 2,000 mile trip to Scotland on it in April). I was considering the Guzzi V7 but I have 2 Triumph dealers within 15 miles and no convenient Guzzi dealer.

Perhaps the taller Scrambler version might suit you or an equivalent Ducati. Both very characterful machines.

Fit a Scottoiler if you're concerned about chain maintenance.

...Despite all that I really liked riding them. Cool bikes for sure.

I haven't ridden a newer V7 850 but owned a V7 II Stone for a few years. At 5'-11" with 32" inseam it was a little tight for me but was fine on shorter rides. Being able to slide fore and aft on the flat seat helped. It came with a small Dart shield that worked far better than its size would indicate. The bike had adequate power for solo riding even 75 mph on our version of your motorways. Low silencers and flat seat made it easy to use throw over, soft panniers.
Compared to a V7, the V85TT (which I now have as well) would fit you better and functionally work better in every way, other than retro coolness as Austin mentioned.

I am very pleased with my Triumph T120 as a bimbling machine (but I also did a 2,000 mile trip to Scotland on it in April). I was considering the Guzzi V7 but I have 2 Triumph dealers within 15 miles and no convenient Guzzi dealer.

Perhaps the taller Scrambler version might suit you or an equivalent Ducati. Both very characterful machines.

Fit a Scottoiler if you're concerned about chain maintenance.

Hi John...thanks for the response.

I sat on a Speed Twin 900 a couple of weeks ago as I have a Triumph dealer about 10 miles away (Woburn) and quite liked it. I was offered a test ride but turned it down as I am not buying until next spring. Then I got to thinking about other bikes and really liked the look of the V7 Special (all of this is on looks obviously as I haven't test ridden anything yet.) Spookily I was looking at the Ducati Scrambler 803cc and also the Triumph earlier today online, so lots of thinking to be done.

Many thanks for taking time to reply.

I haven't ridden a newer V7 850 but owned a V7 II Stone for a few years. At 5'-11" with 32" inseam it was a little tight for me but was fine on shorter rides. Being able to slide fore and aft on the flat seat helped. It came with a small Dart shield that worked far better than its size would indicate. The bike had adequate power for solo riding even 75 mph on our version of your motorways. Low silencers and flat seat made it easy to use throw over, soft panniers.
Compared to a V7, the V85TT (which I now have as well) would fit you better and functionally work better in every way, other than retro coolness as Austin mentioned.

Thanks Clifton...it's the retro looks that really appeal to me I think, but of course that isn't worth a thing if the bike doesn't suit/fit me. I partly got rid of the GS because of its size and I wasn't using it to anywhere near its full potential anymore so don't really want to get something similar again....Oh well, it's not as if I'm in any rush.

I think it's the bike for me......I wonder if they would make one just a little bit bigger....Nope, guess not.

Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom