Midlands resident seeks enlightenment on tourist issues re down that London

ronnie69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Cor blimey Cockney Sparrer well I’ll go to the foot of our apples and pears etc.

Me, wifey and urchins (aged 5 and 6) are heading down that London this w/e for a few days. The opportunities to haemorrhage money are many. Kids want to see Buck Palace, Tower Bridge, Big Ben, HofP, London Eye + usual tourist schizzle. I’m considering a bus tour and a boat tour because the urchins at 5 and 6 won’t walk for long before whinging starts. You also see a lot of stuff without walking far and without changing buses/underground/etc several times in the process.

However … I know similar circular routes can be had on standard TFL buses without shelling out £100+ for 4 on bus and boat each. I’ve found some routes online but there is no substitute for personal experience - any recommendations?

I’m sure I read somewhere that there is a water taxi on part of the Thames that one can use with an oyster card or contactless in the same way as using it for a bus or tube and at similar rates (ie not eye watering ‘here come the tourist’ rates). The same may apply to the cable car thingy. I’ll do some online looking when time allows but can anyone cast any wisdom on these ramblings?

If not, are there any particular purveyors of touristy bus or boat trips and/or routes wot they purvey which bods would particularly recommend?

More generally, are there any other ‘must do’ suggestions for a small tribe of Clampetts from oop north(ish) marauding down to sully your gold paved streets? I've been before but not since urchins arrived :D

I will continue to consult Dave Google and similar online resources but imho there is no substitute for ‘hands on’ experience. I am also short of time and busy in the run up. :thumb

I'm not a Lunduner but I work here fairly regularly. The boat taxi is known as the Uber Boat and is worth a jaunt up and down the Thames.
Some of the walking tours are good but I wouldn't think it would appeal to your kids.
Some of the local folks will be along soon to help. I've found them to be a good source for ideas

You mention Tower Bridge - did you know that you can get tickets to tour inside the bridge, inc the walkways at the top?

You mention Tower Bridge - did you know that you can get tickets to tour inside the bridge, inc the walkways at the top?

It also goes up and down (oooh er, missus) more times than you might think.

https://city-guide.london/events/?p=16954

That might be quite good to go to see, though the timings are sometimes a bit hit and miss.

Unfortunately I can’t find the picture I took several years ago when, by chance I was at the head of the queue on my motorbike when a lift took place. The road raises up to 90 degrees, which is quite impressive when it happens in front of you.

If you are down by the Tower, the best view of the original Norman castle (the White Tower) is from the south (river side) as the north side (Tower Hill underground station) has the castle walls in the way.

You’ll maybe find this useful:

https://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/en/help/ticket-comparison

https://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/en/help/ticket-comparison#travelling-with-children

But even then it might be a bit boggling. My suggestion would be to go to the ticket office and ask the bod behind the screen what is best for two adults and two young children, by way of a pass. They are pretty helpful, usually. I don’t give it a lot of thought as my daughter is grown up and I have a free pass, though that doesn’t work on the Uber sponsored ‘river taxi’ things.

And of course there are the round tour, hop-on-hop-off open top busses, which take in many of the sites. These might be worth looking into, I guess.

The good news is that London is back and busy again with tourists, it was dead for the last two summers …… but, as yet, no flocks of Chinese / Japanese.

Serious: bring some ear-plugs if you envision taking the tube as well, especially the Northen line/Jubilee line. Especially for the kids. Track noise in the cars can easily exceed 100db.

Many thanks for the replies and links, good stuff :thumb2 :beerjug: The Tower Bridge stuff in particular is a belter which the kids I'm sure will love (I like a bridge too, mind :D ).

The kids may expect a red double decker driven by Her Maj and containing Peppa Pig and her chums to jump over the bridge while it is raised. I shall have to manage expectation as best I can ... :blast :rolleyes:

Transport and ticketing options are indeed boggling but we're getting there and always good to speak to an actual human personage. Good shout re the noisy tube trains too - hurt my lugs when there without kids in June.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom