Mid priced "adventure" helmets - opinions?

Bob Jeffries

It's good to be back ..
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a new mid priced "adventure" style helmet as backup to my Neotech 2. I've looked at the Airoh Commander (GS Pure), the LS2 Explorer Carbon and the Nexx X.Wed 2.

At the moment I'm favouring the Nexx X.Wed 2 but I don't know much about the Nexx brand.

Can anyone offer any input/advice/opinion to help me choose.

Cheers
Bob Jeffries

I’ve got the nexx xwed2 .been very pleased with it , it can mist up a bit with the chin vent closed up but it comes with a grill type replacement which solves this .it’s also has the pre cut pockets for speakers . It is supplied with a pin lock insert ,but I never got on with it .also you can remove the peak and have a street type ff

I have the X Wed 2. Had it about 2.5 years now. Very pleased with it. Good build quality, comes with drop down sun visor not many adventure helmets do, comes with pin lock visor, light for an adventure style helmet, short peak so doesn’t catch too much wind, easy to take apart for cleaning.
Mine is just plain white which is what I wanted. So far I would buy one again.

I have a Klim Krios. Very happy with it. :thumb2

As good as the Klim is I wouldn't call it a mid-priced helmet @ £600. I also want a flip down sun visor.

It seems the Nexx is the likely way forward, thanks guys

Scorpion ADX-1

Flip front

Pinlock

With or without peak,

with or without goggles (optional extra)

I think about £200-300

Definitely what Santa ^^^^ said. A couple of the guys on my TransAm trip were using the Scorpion ADX-1 and it got good reviews from them. Not necessarily the plushest lid you can get but for around £250 it’s very definitely value for money.

As good as the Klim is I wouldn't call it a mid-priced helmet @ £600. I also want a flip down sun visor.

It seems the Nexx is the likely way forward, thanks guys��
Mine isn’t the Pro version and didn’t cost anywhere near £600!
I certainly wouldn’t have suggested it otherwise. :thumb2

I used an X-Lite 551 for a few years and it’s a really nice helmet. For £99 or £149 it’s definitely the one to go for. Provided they haven’t sold out by now.

Bell MX9.
I use one for offroading. Pretty good helmet for the price. They also do an adventure version with visor et all

I have a Nexx helmet. Not the same as mentioned above but I can attest to the quality of their products. My flip-up one is excellent.

I have a Nexx helmet. Not the same as mentioned above but I can attest to the quality of their products. My flip-up one is excellent.

As it has got a little colder, I have started to fall out with my Nexx helmet. The seal of the visor isn't perfect and I started to feel cold air through the gap and increased wind noise. The closure of the visor has also become more difficult to use and I found myself thinking that I should dig out my last helmet and do a comparison.

So two days ago, I received a new visor in the post for my old HJC RPHA-90 and fitted it last night. I wore it for this morning's commute and it was a revelation. It was immediately apparent that it was more comfortable, a better fit, offered greater protection with the front flipped up and had way better all round visibility than the Nexx helmet I have worn for the best part of the past year. It was also noticeably quieter and lighter!!

So come back HJC, all is forgiven!! My Nexx is now consigned to the helmet graveyard in the basement and I will use the HJC through winter. I also plan to buy a replacement for use next Spring and I will go for the exact same model, albeit in carbon next time.

Hope this is useful to others - Nexx helmets are not bad, but the HJC RPHA range is way better!!

As it has got a little colder, I have started to fall out with my Nexx helmet. The seal of the visor isn't perfect and I started to feel cold air through the gap and increased wind noise. The closure of the visor has also become more difficult to use and I found myself thinking that I should dig out my last helmet and do a comparison.

So two days ago, I received a new visor in the post for my old HJC RPHA-90 and fitted it last night. I wore it for this morning's commute and it was a revelation. It was immediately apparent that it was more comfortable, a better fit, offered greater protection with the front flipped up and had way better all round visibility than the Nexx helmet I have worn for the best part of the past year. It was also noticeably quieter and lighter!!

So come back HJC, all is forgiven!! My Nexx is now consigned to the helmet graveyard in the basement and I will use the HJC through winter. I also plan to buy a replacement for use next Spring and I will go for the exact same model, albeit in carbon next time.

Hope this is useful to others - Nexx helmets are not bad, but the HJC RPHA range is way better!!

Don't chuck old helmets give them to the local Fire Brigade or St John's Ambulance.

tom

The LS2 is very nicely made.
Don’t suppose you’re a size L and have a KTM ?

4c2a01388e6a64b814c0ab81c35436f4.jpg

It’s very comfy but only used once as selling bike.

Whenever I’m looking for a crash helmet I look at https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/. Says it independent and comprehensive reviews. You can sort the top 10 lists in lots of different ways.

But, I’ve had various Shoei helmets for the last 20 years as they are just so comfortable on my head.

Back
Top Bottom