Oh no....I Put Diesel In! Stupid!

Good Luck!:beerjug:
Don't forget - fully charged battery, bike gear on, ready to ride the thing if (when :thumb) it fires up...

Just realised whats involved with getting to the air filter. Not sure I be riding it as soon as it fires up mine. Take a good while to put the bike back together 😂

Ok Easy Start is making progress. It's starting but only for a few seconds before cutting out. Probably done that 6 or 7 times now. Should I keep trying or do I need to move onto the spark plugs.

Ok Easy Start is making progress. It's starting but only for a few seconds before cutting out. Probably done that 6 or 7 times now. Should I keep trying or do I need to move onto the spark plugs.

If it runs, even momentarily, the spark plugs are working.

Keep going - you have to get through any diesel left in the lines! You may need a battery charger at the ready.

Keep going - you have to get through any diesel left in the lines! You may need a battery charger at the ready.

This.
You're making progress. In the few seconds that it's running, see if you can gently ease in a little throttle.... not a big handful, just a smidge. If it holds, then add a bit more. Had to do this on an old VW to try and get fresh fuel through the lines.

Hey all

I think we are looking good. I got it going after a bit of perseverance. I let it run whilst standing for 10 mins whilst I put the bike back together by which time it had already stopped smoking but still took it out for a run for 15 mins anyway. And for the whole journey it didn't skip a beat. I suppose the big test will be starting it again from cold in a few hours time.

Thanks for all the help though. This forum really has been invaluable for every GS I have owned.

Good news, brim the tank with the good stuff again, get out for a nice long ride and hopefully that'll be the end of your diesel related woes!

Maybe throw a generous dose of fuel injector/catalyst cleaner (Millers, Forte, Archoil etc) through it once it has cleared out the diesel and give it an" Italian tune-up" (AKA spirited ride).

Diesel needs high cylinder compression to burn fully hence the smoking and reluctance to run. Now its running/sustaining itself I think using a fuel system cleaner should promote getting rid of any residual by-products from the diesel.

My 1200 GSA made more smoke than a Dreadnought battleship for a couple of refills after I did the same.

I would also change the oil and filter. Some of that unburnt diesel may well have found its way past the rings and into the oil, which serves not only the engine, but also the clutch.

I drive a diesel car and diesel van at work.
This has always been a fear on my bikes... when i fill up i find myself checking green, checking green, unleaded yes yes yes... ok fill :)

Glad the bikes ok :)

Ok. So this morning drained all I could from the tank. There was dregs in bottom I couldn't get too. I've since put 10l of unleaded in but the thing will not start despite several attempts and now getting to point where battery voltage is starting to drop.

I got some of that Redex petrol engine cleaner stuff. Anyone think that'll help if I chuck that in too?

Am I going to need to get all technical and remove the plugs and drain the carb and fuel lines etc. The plugs I can maybe accomplish but carb and fuel lines sounds like a mare I could do without.

Thanks in advance.

Just PX it against a new bike, one careful owner from new, yada yada yada…..

Any tips for removing the spark plug coil without the proper tool? Will I be able to wedge it with a screwdriver without damaging it?

Tie a couple of rounds of dental floss around the head and pull and wiggle simultaniously. If using any kind of metal tools like a screwdriver or a plier, keep in mind that the plastic that is used for the coil head is VERY brittle, and breakes easy...

Barno.. I thought I was maybe the only one to do that.. lol.. got diesel car/ gsa and r nine t.. easy done.. in car so is this diesel?on bikes is this petrol? Had a few on lookers thinking this guy as lost the plot. Lol..

Back
Top Bottom